Resource The 2016 AFL Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the wallet spoke, especially if they are thinking of going to Melbourne for a game, whilst banking or hopeful for a win against Adelaide

Would be interesting to know how many Swans fans went the week before at ANZ, how many refused to go to ANZ and only go to the SCG and how many went to ANZ but not the SCG.

I read somewhere 14,000 Giants fans were there. I dunno how accurate that was but probably a fair assessment

I read somewhere 14,000 Giants fans were there. I dunno how accurate that was but probably a fair assessment

At the ground I guesstimated 12-15k and probably closer to 15k.

One means of estimating would be the survey question that pops up upon buying a ticket along, of course, with knowledge of members purchasing during the limited period.

I think the AFL had estimated 65-70% were swans supporters. That would leave perhaps 18k or so, of which some will have been supporters of other clubs.

Still not sold out in Sydney...where are all the ANZ fans now?

Not questioning the decision to play at Spotless, but the comparison is not necessarily straightforward. At ANZ, there would have been a lot more cheap category tickets, which might have boosted sales somewhat.

We also don't know how close a sell out will get us to a full house. That will depend on ANZ members.

Against this, maybe the minor furore over the game being at Spotless may have helped ticket sales by energizing people to snap up tickets for fear of missing out? If so, the strategy proved effective.

Last edited:
Not questioning the decision to play at Spotless, but the comparison is not necessarily straightforward. At ANZ, there would have been a lot more cheap category tickets, which might have boosted sales somewhat.

We also don't know how close a sell out will get us to a full house. That will depend on ANZ members.

Against this, maybe the minor furore over the game being at Spotless may have helped ticket sales by energizing people to snap up tickets for fear of missing out? If so, the strategy proved effective.

I thought the ANZ members simply had priority access to tickets? I didn't think there was a members area as such. Any of their ticket allocation would presumably have been put into the public pool.

But 700 tickets available as of last night. Looks like the AFL made the right call in the end.

Charging over $170 for tickets to the game is not the smartest way to help encourage attendance in Western Sydney. Surely the aim is to have as many people as possible pack in, not generate as much $$ as possible.

Charging over $170 for tickets to the game is not the smartest way to help encourage attendance in Western Sydney. Surely the aim is to have as many people as possible pack in, not generate as much $$ as possible.
Agree with that - but the AFL/GWS have been giving away plenty of free/discounted tix over the past few years. I remember seeing heavily discounted tix to the Sydney Derby this year on Groupon. But this is a preliminary final, and at a 24k stadium. The AFL are charging enough so that it will sell out...just.

No doubt at ANZ, with the ANZ members, and more cheaper tickets, they might have got a bit more. Most people in the know were guessing about 30k max at ANZ. That's till 50k empty seats = not a good look on TV and poor atmosphere at the ground. Right call was made.

No doubt at ANZ, with the ANZ members, and more cheaper tickets, they might have got a bit more. Most people in the know were guessing about 30k max at ANZ. That's till 50k empty seats = not a good look on TV and poor atmosphere at the ground. Right call was made.

Lockouts make a product more valued - look for a increase in season memberships so as not to miss out on a finals ticket or at least a finals ticket less than $179.

The MCG has revised their expected attendance down to 75k. At this stage I think we'll be lucky to get that.

In the AFL Members the 1st, 2nd and 3rd levels are sold out but on the 4th level while the front looks to be sold out the middle seems to have only sold about 4 of the 12 bays and the back section is therefore virtually empty.

Unless there's a large amount of members planning to scan in on the night to avoid the extra charges then there will be a few thousand unused seats. Coupled with the 18k public tickets available and the likelihood of similar levels in the MCC members I would say they would be looking at a max of 70k right now.

Hopefully there's quite a number of people making late decisions based on weather etc as the forecast seems pretty good.

The MCG has revised their expected attendance down to 75k. At this stage I think we'll be lucky to get that.

In the AFL Members the 1st, 2nd and 3rd levels are sold out but on the 4th level while the front looks to be sold out the middle seems to have only sold about 4 of the 12 bays and the back section is therefore virtually empty.

Unless there's a large amount of members planning to scan in on the night to avoid the extra charges then there will be a few thousand unused seats. Coupled with the 18k public tickets available and the likelihood of similar levels in the MCC members I would say they would be looking at a max of 70k right now.

Hopefully there's quite a number of people making late decisions based on weather etc as the forecast seems pretty good.

I think a major factor for people this week is the cost. The price difference between tickets in weeks one and two of the finals and this week is pretty ridiculous.

I think a major factor for people this week is the cost. The price difference between tickets in weeks one and two of the finals and this week is pretty ridiculous.

Yes, definitely for the club members and public seats although this doesn't really apply to the AFL Members as such. I think it was only a $5 increase this week. It's a little disappointing that the AFL Members isn't closer to full at this point. I know this game doesn't have the rivalry of Geelong-Hawthorn or the romance of the Bulldogs but it should still be an absolute ripper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, but its not like Geelong members and fans have had to fork out for two finals. Only the one qualifying final, and most members/fans wont get a chance to go to the GF (unless GWS are in it). Surely if you love your team, you go this week. There are also over 10k Melbourne based Sydney members, the ones based in Sydney are an affluent bunch to travel :)

Geelong really don't have a lot of supporters. Probably around 30-35k loyal and maybe 10-15k that come along when times are good. Sydney will have around 10k and the rest will be neutrals who love footy

Because they could double the crowd. Not everyone has a membership. What if you lived in Western Sydney, your NRL team missed the finals and you were curious to go with a few mates? Big, big missed opportunity for the code and GWS.
Ther can never be another prelim at Spotless.

There will be plenty more prelims at spotless, provided the giants qualify to host it. Regardless of what you think of the matter AFL at ANZ is done and the AFL wont force GWS to play their final at the SCG. Its the giants home ground, they are entitled to play there.

There will be plenty more prelims at spotless, provided the giants qualify to host it. Regardless of what you think of the matter AFL at ANZ is done and the AFL wont force GWS to play their final at the SCG. Its the giants home ground, they are entitled to play there.
Disagree. The AFL will want to optimise interest and the crowd, same as in Melbourne. If it doesn't fit, it will be moved.
This one fits, but if they win the flag and average crowds subsequently rise to 20k, then next year they sell out a QF v say Port or GC, then they have a home Prelim v Collingwood, it won't be at Spotless before 22k (if 10K Sogs fans are travelling, you can double that for Collingwood or Essendon).
Thankfully ANZ is available for two more seasons if they host a big club in a prelim. After that, Prelims will be at SCG, the same as Etihad clubs play theirs at MCG, the same as Swans played at ANZ, and the same as all clubs played the PF at Waverley pre 2000.

Can't get four seats together so probably only a few hundred left. Should sell out Thursday.
Whether the crowd is 22K or closer to 24k will depend on whether the scalpers reduce their prices.

I thought the ANZ members simply had priority access to tickets? I didn't think there was a members area as such. Any of their ticket allocation would presumably have been put into the public pool.

But 700 tickets available as of last night. Looks like the AFL made the right call in the end.

Thanks for the info re the AFL members. Wasn't sure how that worked.

Yes, definitely for the club members and public seats although this doesn't really apply to the AFL Members as such. I think it was only a $5 increase this week. It's a little disappointing that the AFL Members isn't closer to full at this point. I know this game doesn't have the rivalry of Geelong-Hawthorn or the romance of the Bulldogs but it should still be an absolute ripper.
Full members it may be a small increase, But for Silver members - Which is the majority of members - the Cheapest tickets are $75 for the back few rows on the wing.

Big crowds are only going to show up for Victorian Derbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back