The 90s thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard this song on the radio yesterday, reckon it's been at least 15+ years since I've heard it

I don't even remember that song, I listened to Triple J pretty much exclusively in the 90s though and it wouldn't have got any airplay on there.

Zero chance of hearing Savage Garden on Triple J. Kingsmill wouldn't have allowed that.

Plus in 1997 there was way better Aussie music being released. Savage Garden beat Double Allergic and Ivy and the Big Apples to Aria album of the year. Lol.

They would have made more album sales both here and overseas than Powderfinger and Spiderbait but that doesn't make it a better album, most of their album sales would have been from teenage girls.

Liam Gallagher is often both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious a lot of the time though.

He did most of his vocals on that album in one take, go to the pub, come back do a song, back to the pub, come back do a song ect

His voice has paid the price for all the drinking and smoking now, sounds very rough live.

What makes a particular album better than another? Is there a metric that can be applied

I'm no big city music critic but there probably is a metric. Crappy pop music is usually crappy for repeating 15 seconds over and over for 3 minutes. Good music you can hear the instruments building or changing.

What makes a particular album better than another? Is there a metric that can be applied

There probably is, somewhere. I'm pretty sure there is some sort of formula to making pop music with mass appeal, evidenced by how much of it sounds alike.

For me a crap album is a repetitive one, where every song sounds the same. I got this last time I tried to listen to Ed Sheeran. Whereas Wu Tang's 36 chambers is a deadset valuable piece of art.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me, a great album is one that has a few dead set crackers on it the first time you listen to it, with other songs being good. Then over time, some of those other songs start to increase in appeal.
In the end it's subjective. it's was said of the Velvet Underground's first album that few bought it but every one of them formed a band. Just like artists some albums aren't properly appreciated at the time. I also like concept albums where the songs combine to tell a story, like Hourly Daily or Sgt Pepper.

In the end it's subjective. it's was said of the Velvet Underground's first album that few bought it but every one of them formed a band. Just like artists some albums aren't properly appreciated at the time. I also like concept albums where the songs combine to tell a story, like Hourly Daily or Sgt Pepper.

Yeah. Whilst not mandatory, a coherent theme, narrative, or sense of place helps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back