2nds The Adelaide Crows Reserves - sponsored by Bendigo Bank

Remove this Banner Ad

He was running at the ball and then took his eyes off it and instead focused on putting his arm into Symes head at speed. It was a pretty intentional and severe hit. I'm not sure how you can't understand that

Because it was reckless. It wasn't intentional as I don't believe he did it on purpose.

I'm OK with 7 for that.

I thought the hit was intentional. looked plain as day that he saw an opportunity to whack someone and carried it out successfully.

I also think they've done well to ignore all the "Symes might retire" hype that been talked about like it has any impact on this actual incident as Grocke shouldn't be held accountable for all the other hits his had over the years.

He was running at the ball and then took his eyes off it and instead focused on putting his arm into Symes head at speed. It was a pretty intentional and severe hit. I'm not sure how you can't understand that
That pretty much sums it up for me. He could have run straight through him with a shoulder but he deviated at the last second and put his arm into his head like a coward.

It's one of the most baffling decisions I've ever heard.

Why would the SANFL clubs not want us selling our guernseys?

it's not baffling. it's pretty simple really. the sanfl clubs want the AFC as a silent team to protect their own support.

It's one of the most baffling decisions I've ever heard.

Why would the SANFL not want us selling our guernseys? Hell, they could have negotiated to take a cut of the profits.

Surely, if you're going to have a Crows reserves team in the comp, you want the fans getting emotionally invested in it, to help drive crowds and interest up? Selling guernseys is a big part of that.

It's as though both parties were deliberately trying to choose the outcome the benefits them both the least.

Listened to the radio coverage for a bit on the weekend and the commentators were at pains to not refer to us as 'The Crows'. I counted at least 7 occasions where we were referenced as 'The Adelaide.'

On the SANFL website it refers to the team as 'Adelaide (SANFL)'.

The SANFL is successfully adopting the tried and tested method of pretending that if you don't mention something, or make it available, people won't want it. This method proved very successful for the majority of the major record companies in the late 90s as they sought to protect their CD sales income from digital downloads and is currently being executed perfectly by a number of TV and Movie studios around the world.

So he was running at Symes and planned on lining him up regardless of where the ball was getting kicked?
thats what it looked like to me. it was purely a square up for the previous incident where the eagles player ran into symes and knocked himself out

Looks like it's a square up for the hit immediately beforehand except it wasn't Symes who did the initial bump -

Terrible looking hit...

Also.. I wonder what kind of toll constantly playing away games will be like for the Crows state league team. Hopefully it builds some resolve, but they'll be facing hostile crowds nearly every week

Surely eventually in a couple of seasons they'll be able to have a home ground as such to play from?

The away game aspect needs to change . There is a opportunity for the club to build a connection with its fans via the SANFL. However with weekly away games, no organised Crows crowd support and no Crows venue in the CBD for fans to go to after the game with the reserves team its all a bit cold. Come and watch the game and thats it.

Typically engaging with the fans hasnt been considered or the club has been talked out of it.

The away game aspect needs to change . There is a opportunity for the club to build a connection with its fans via the SANFL. However with weekly away games, no organised Crows crowd support and no Crows venue in the CBD for fans to go to after the game with the reserves team its all a bit cold. Come and watch the game and thats it.

Typically engaging with the fans hasnt been considered or the club has been talked out of it.

It's going to take a while before we see the Crows reserves side playing home games. The financial gain (extra home game) was one of the carrots dangled in front of the SANFL to agree to allow the team to join the competition.

I think we could see the club given permission to sell the reserves jumper next year but i think we are 4 or 5 years away from even getting reserves home games.

Traditionally does the cheer squad turn up early for the reserves game? maybe, the Pride could grab this and run with it and that's how they could integrate supporters into there group.

It's more than likely part of the deal to get the reserves team was for the club to not do any sort of promotions outside of listing the basics we get now, including merchandise.

It's not so bad with Port, who are simply Port, but they don't want "the team for all South Australians" stealing all of the potential (especially young) supporters away from the other normal clubs to follow the single entity in two leagues. They want people to continue to support and identify with an SANFL side as well as the Crows AFL side.

It's going to take a while before we see the Crows reserves side playing home games. The financial gain (extra home game) was one of the carrots dangled in front of the SANFL to agree to allow the team to join the competition.

I think we could see the club given permission to sell the reserves jumper next year but i think we are 4 or 5 years away from even getting reserves home games.

It actually wasn't an extra home game as the SANFL season was cut from 20 rounds to 18 rounds, so the other 9 teams still have 10 home games a year. Without Adelaide playing all away games the other teams would have lost revenue. I'd like to see it go back to 20 or 22 games. 18 is like what I used to play in the Amateur League and I feel it degrades the comp having it 4 games less than the AFL.

I'm not a supporter of AFL reserves teams in the SANFL comp, but the non-sale of reserves jumpers is just silly. I can't see how it's going to influence someone to switch SANFL allegiances or whatever it was people were worried about.

It actually wasn't an extra home game as the SANFL season was cut from 20 rounds to 18 rounds, so the other 9 teams still have 10 home games a year. Without Adelaide playing all away games the other teams would have lost revenue. I'd like to see it go back to 20 or 22 games. 18 is like what I used to play in the Amateur League and I feel it degrades the comp having it 4 games less than the AFL.

I'm not a supporter of AFL reserves teams in the SANFL comp, but the non-sale of reserves jumpers is just silly. I can't see how it's going to influence someone to switch SANFL allegiances or whatever it was people were worried about.

what do you think about Box Hill playing in the VFL or doesn't that matter?

what do you think about Box Hill playing in the VFL or doesn't that matter?

1. I have very little interest in the VFL so am not informed enough about how it works there to comment.
2. Ideally the AFL should have its own reserves comp, but they'd prefer to fund teams in the outer suburbs of Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Traditionally does the cheer squad turn up early for the reserves game? maybe, the Pride could grab this and run with it and that's how they could integrate supporters into there group.

I generally think the away game rule is convenient for the club.

We don't have a long term venue for SANFL games and to get one most probably wouldn't be cost effective at all for the club. If we were to get a home ground I think we would also more than likely lose our free SANFL entry conditions on our memberships. One option would be to play the reserves games before AFL games, this would be great but I think the AFL has rules about surfaces being used before a game.

I generally think the away game thing is convenient for the club.

We don't have a long term venue for SANFL games and to get one most probably wouldn't be cost effective at all for the club. If we were to get a home ground I think we would lose our free SANFL entry conditions on our memberships.

I think you maybe right.

I think it might cost a truck load more to host a home game than it would be to pay X amount for an away game.

Where would we play it? AAMI or at Adelaide Oval?

How much extra we it cost.

I think you maybe right.

I think it might cost a truck load more to host a home game than it would be to pay X amount for an away game.

Where would we play it? AAMI or at Adelaide Oval?

How much extra we it cost.

Well AAMI is getting demolished so that's out of the picture.

We could look at Adelaide Oval, but that would be a huge expense to use it just for SANFL games (especially when Crows members are getting in for free). If we played the games before AFL games then you have all the SANFL supporters complaining about getting access to games and the ticket prices etc.

Realistically unless they play at Adelaide Oval so the players can get used to it then there's no real advantage for the club by having home games.

Well AAMI is getting demolished so that's out of the picture.

No it's not. The Crows have a long lease to stay there.

As far as I know, the Northern stand is coming down and the members stand as well. The rest is staying.

LOL and you wonder why your club and you people are hated by true football supporters in this state.
Pathetic.
Piss off to the amateurs where both of your teams belong.

Mod Comment - thanks for all the reports guys. Have deleted a bunch of his posts and banned him from the thread. I left this comment up rather than just deleting so posters can see that he has been thread banned and why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done to the 2 hundred Crows supporters who rocked up today and well done for complaining that North supporters were too loud.
Talked to a couple of Crows officials after the game and they're already regretting the decision, a few including Porplezia struggled to walk after the game as they got hit harder than AFL games.
2 sorts of football supporters in this state, Crow EATERS and those who are un-South Australian.
0-4 now, Enjoy. Reserves football is serving a treat.

Hey Rooster, many of us Crows supporters still support our SANFL club so I had no desire to go and give your mob any cash!
As for the hits being as hard as the AFL, even you couldn't have had a straight face when you said that.
There are many sorts of football supporters in this State, and those who try to sterotype, obviously have an agenda.

No it's not. The Crows have a long lease to stay there.

As far as I know, the Northern stand is coming down and the members stand as well. The rest is staying.

From what I am aware the long term plan is for it to beocme a shared community oval like Waverley.

We have seen already how much it has cost Sturt to do this for their home games, I would imagine that the Crows would need about 10X more temporary fencing than Sturt use for Unley. I can't see the benefits outweighing the cost.

From what I am aware the long term plan is for it to beocme a shared community oval like Waverley.

We have seen already how much it has cost Sturt to do this for their home games, I would imagine that the Crows would need about 10X more temporary fencing than Sturt use for Unley. I can't see the benefits outweighing the cost.

Agree.

I went along today. Some of my thoughts could fit into other threads but here goes.

Official Crows Cheer squad was on hand with a banner for the boys. Then after that, they all sort of dissipated around the Farmer End. There were Crows supporters around the ground, but not in one area together, there was nothing organised for us. There were no banners, or support for the AFC.

This resulted in no noise when the Crows scored & no vocal pressure on the umpires. The very pro North crowd, got the umpires attention all the time.

If this Pride Crows Cheer Squad, want to make a mark, get down to the SANFL games and make some noise.

CEY was the best of the Crows. Kept winning the ball and taking the game on. Deserves a run in the AFL. Atkins had a bit of it early; Brodie Martin showed some good dash at times & kicked a sweet goal. Jake Kelly looked alright.

Porps body language at quarter time break was not good, not looking at the coach, head down. Angus Graham – gets in a good spot, can’t take a grab. That 50 he gave away…just really dumb.

It was the case of the same s**t, different day. Not enough intensity from Osborn or Graham. Most of the the goals coming from mids.

Our skills are awful even for SANFL level. I don’t understand how they can be this bad. North smashed us in smart, precise, footy.

The game plan is an abomination. Watching it from Level 5, Riverbank Stand yesterday and at ground level today, we don’t give our forwards any hope. Loads of sideways handballs at the back the square. At the front of the square, forwards are running between the wings in a pack.

Nobody leads to or from the goal square. Scoring is such a battle, due to the lack of system and desire to apply score board pressure. Attacking players like Cameron don’t have a chance. The Crowbots are back and I don’t understand why.

The current AFC game plan is a morale killer and its showing at both levels. Watching North I wished we played like they did. Smart, intelligent, skilful. It was typical North Adelaide. In fact that used to be typical for us. Their game plan upheld the characteristics of their club beautifully.

That’s what we have lost. The years of defensive football have eroded the attacking spirit we used to have. We’re scared to back an exciting game plan and kick goals. Ditch the handball obsession, and develop a modern version of our 90’s dashing style and reinforce the clubs character. Sadly, I don’t think we have the leaders to do it at the moment.

Wow. Just saw this post. I went to the game (as a North and AFC member) and could not have put it better myself! Exactly how I saw it. I am sure Angus Graham(barring a decimation of all other talls) will never play a game for AFL Crows.

I was torn watching this match. So happy that the mighty Roosters look like having a good side this year, however, really shattered knowing the current state of the list of the mighty Adelaide Crows.

I love both teams dearly, I call NAFC my first love, and the AFC my Soul Mate. I wore an item of clothing to of each team to the game, something which I was reminded by the locals, was not the appropriate thing to do.

I love both teams dearly, I call NAFC my first love, and the AFC my Soul Mate. I wore an item of clothing to of each team to the game, something which I was reminded by the locals, was not the appropriate thing to do.
such a great bit of text here. it's exactly how i feel too

The only reason for the hatred is the inferiority complex that the SANFL supporters have had for decades now.

When I was growing up it was all directed at Victorians and the VFL and 20+ years later the same mindset is still very much alive and well amongst the SANFL diehards, it just directed now at the Crows mainly rather than the AFL.

I also laugh when I hear garbage like "I'm a true football supporter", what so hating the AFL and the Crows and loving the SANFL makes you a true football supporter ? Honestly who comes up with and believes such asinine rubbish like this ?

My girlfriends dad is like "I'm a true football supporter" it's quite amusing when he says that haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back