Remove this Banner Ad

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One of Albrechtsens better efforts on this. What I love about Howard bashing unions is the way Fairfax and the ABC always conveniently forget what great ALP leaders like Hawke and Chifley did wrt respect to union trouble

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com...alian/comments/blue_collar_pantomime_artists/

DON’T be fooled by the pantomime being played out over the Australian Building and Construction Commission. Kevin Rudd and his Government and, more particularly, the unholy alliance of unions, academics and agitators demanding that the Labor Government kill off the ABCC now rather than in 2010, all realise this is play-acting. For the Prime Minister to renege on his unambiguous election promise to preserve the ABCC until 2010 would not only leave him stripped of any moral credibility, it would also expose him as a gormless pawn of his paymasters in the unions. All parties know it won’t happen.

The real aim during the next few months is to ensure the Rudd Government will neuter the ABCC’s successor when it gets around to setting up a new body to regulate the construction industry. A big-budget advertising blitz is under way, coinciding with special pleading by Labor friend and academic George Williams and Labor MP Gavin Marshall’s caucus resolution to disband the ABCC. Each mini-drama is aimed at whipping up an atmosphere of emotional hysteria. While they dream of the immediate emasculation of the ABCC, construction unions will be satisfied if, in 2010, they are back in the driver’s seat of an unregulated industry characterised by lawlessness and intimidation.

No one should forget the long, bloody history of attempts to regulate this industry and its thuggish unions. Governments of both colours, at state and federal levels, tried for decades without success to end crime and intimidation on building sites. In 1986, corruption and violence in the Builders Labourers Federation had grown so outrageous that Bob Hawke, with the full support of Victorian premier John Cain, permanently deregistered the union. The 1992 Gyles royal commission in NSW uncovered rampant illegality.

Then, in 2003, the Cole royal commission - which recommended the establishment of the ABCC - released 23 volumes detailing hundreds of episodes of unlawful conduct, intimidation and inappropriate payments to union officials within the construction industry across Australia. The Victorian government was described as tacitly accepting union dominance. Urgent reform and a cultural change were required, it said. More than 200 recommendations were tabled.

After the years of failure, real reform arrived. The ABCC has been a spectacular success. One measure of that success is the money and energy that union leaders such as Sharan Burrow, John Sutton, Kevin Reynolds and Dean Mighell and co are pouring into their attempts to neuter it. But there are other measures. In its 2007 report, updated in 2008, respected economic analyst Econtech found that the establishment of the ABCC led to a dramatic improvement in industry productivity with significant benefits for the national economy. Without the ABCC, gross domestic product would have been 1.5 per cent lower and the consumer price index would have been 1.2 per cent higher. Overall, Econtech found an annual economic welfare gain of $5.1billion from the ABCC.

Not only did it lead to more affordable housing and lower prices for Rudd’s working families, the ABCC ended years of “no ticket, no start” intimidation, standover tactics and industrial blackmail.

Yes, the ABCC does have strong compliance and investigative powers, but remember the context. The Cole commission’s documented history of intimidation suggests that polite requests for information from union officials are not going to get you very far.

The ABCC’s powers are neither unusual nor unwarranted despite the bogus and emotive claims of unions and their boosters on Labor’s back bench and in academe. We have had tear-jerking assertions that the ABCC’s powers are unprecedented breaches of human rights exercised by a star chamber. The Construction, Forestry, Mining, Energy Union’s Dave Noonan summed it up thus: “No other workers in this country, apart from workers in the construction industry, are faced with this sort of heavy-handed and undemocratic assault on human rights.”

Heart-rending stuff. Also completely false. Those working in the finance industry - to name but one group - are subjected to equally strict provisions. Part three of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act allows ASIC to hold examinations on oath, in secret, of anyone who has information relevant to an ASIC investigation, whether or not they are suspected of illegality. The act deprives examinees of the privilege against self-incrimination and overrides legal professional privilege. A person who refuses to comply with ASIC’s requirements can be jailed for two years.

Why aren’t Dave and his mates crying about the human rights of those regulated by ASIC? Are white-collar types a lower class of being not worthy of human rights? And why have Dave and co been so untroubled about the regular use for decades of the coercive investigative powers found in the tax legislation, the Trade Practices Act, the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority Act and numerous other acts? In truth, heartstring-tugging claims that ABCC is infringing the human rights of construction workers is union hocus pocus. It’s pure trickery.

Act II, scene II: Enter a poignant martyr for the union cause. CFMEU official Noel Washington, who has refused to give evidence against his union mates, is part of a deliberately concocted union agenda to dismantle the ABCC. But as unions hype his prosecution by the ABCC as an unprecedented attack against an innocent bystander, remember that if Washington replaced his blue overalls for a white shirt and a bank job, he would find himself subjected to similar powers that ASIC has been using for years against those in the finance industry.

Remember also there are good reasons for investing the ABCC with power to compel witnesses to give evidence. Union intimidation against those who dob means that witnesses often prefer to be compelled to give evidence rather than be seen to be co-operating. Remember also that witnesses who give evidence are immune from prosecution. The ABCC is gathering evidence to prosecute others alleged to have committed breaches.

That is why this union pantomime will turn into a full operatic performance. But if Rudd and his deputy Julia Gillard are serious about tackling the teachers unions to demonstrate the Government is governing in the national interest rather than according to union diktat, they need to do precisely the same in the construction industry. Governing in the national interest means taking on the building unions, exposing their campaign of trickery and staring down union attempts to unwind reforms in the construction industry.

If thuggish building unions succeed in getting rid of the ABCC - and any effective future building industry regulator set up by the Rudd Government - why shouldn’t people in the finance industry start lobbying to get rid of ASIC, and succeed? The latter is a ridiculous scenario, of course. And that is precisely why the union agenda against the ABCC deserves to be exposed as equally fatuous and self-serving. Over to you, Mr Rudd.

One of Albrechtsens better efforts on this. What I love about Howard bashing unions is the way Fairfax and the ABC always conveniently forget what great ALP leaders like Hawke and Chifley did wrt respect to union trouble

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com...alian/comments/blue_collar_pantomime_artists/

Her husband does'nt work in the finance industry does he... when it comes to matters of internal governance Unions are far superior to the finance industry who have shown again and again they cannot be trusted.

The prudential responsibilities and powers of the regulators in finance are necessary because they handle other people's money. Why do the ABCC need these powers when it comes to a democratically elected leaders of organisations

What Noel Washington did was hold a meeting in a park after a shift was over and refused to disclose who was present. Really evil!

The prudential responsibilities and powers of the regulators in finance are necessary because they handle other people's money. Why do the ABCC need these powers when it comes to a democratically elected leaders of organisations

I always have to laugh when someone suggests that the election of union officials is actually democratic.

That would be like saying that we have to have the liberal party governing us every year, but it is ok because you can democratically elect the leader. :rolleyes:

I always have to laugh when someone suggests that the election of union officials is actually democratic.

That would be like saying that we have to have the liberal party governing us every year, but it is ok because you can democratically elect the leader. :rolleyes:

They have elections in accordance with their rules that are overseen by officers of the Australian Electoral Commission - with capacity for oversight by the Federal Court. I don't understand what you are saying.

Further to my point the rules governing the internal governance of Trade Unions in Schedule 1 of the Workplace Relations Act are by far the most stringent in the Western World

As I say Noel Washington had a meeting out of hours in the park. So much for rights of assembly in Australia.

They have elections in accordance with their rules that are overseen by officers of the Australian Electoral Commission - with capacity for oversight by the Federal Court. I don't understand what you are saying.

Further to my point the rules governing the internal governance of Trade Unions in Schedule 1 of the Workplace Relations Act are by far the most stringent in the Western World

As I say Noel Washington had a meeting out of hours in the park. So much for rights of assembly in Australia.
You keeping a watch on the CMFEU elections in WA?

You keeping a watch on the CMFEU elections in WA?

I dislike Kev as much as the next bloke but the fact is talk to any of the boyos over there and they love him. As I understand it the WAEC is seeking advice on the election and the electrol role as we speak - the same cannot be said for those finance sector types in Australia who invested in CDOs made up of bundles of sub prime mortgages

I am saying that people only have the choice to be represented by one union, of which they get to chose the leader and reps. If they don't like that union then too bad. It would be like us only having the option of one political party and all we could do was elect the leader. How democratic would it be if there was only the Liberal party, and all you had was the choice of Costello or Nelson.

I am saying that people only have the choice to be represented by one union, of which they get to chose the leader and reps. If they don't like that union then too bad. It would be like us only having the option of one political party and all we could do was elect the leader. How democratic would it be if there was only the Liberal party, and all you had was the choice of Costello or Nelson.

There is a law against closed shops in Australia has been for 20 years - if you don't like them don't join

There is a law against closed shops in Australia has been for 20 years - if you don't like them don't join

Hmmm how does that really work in practice though.

For example are there many workers on big construction sites that aren't members(I wouldn't really know these days)?

Hmmm how does that really work in practice though.

For example are there many workers on big construction sites that aren't members(I wouldn't really know these days)?

Theres heaps, but they get less pay, less benefits, poor safety, and do little for their community.

Hence, SCABS.

Her husband does'nt work in the finance industry does he... when it comes to matters of internal governance Unions are far superior to the finance industry who have shown again and again they cannot be trusted.

What Noel Washington did was hold a meeting in a park after a shift was over and refused to disclose who was present. Really evil!

Ha ha you have NFI. People in the investment community are barred from the industry, jailed in some cases, stripped of assets and clients compensated all the time. No one goes on strike to protect a crook do they? We want them punished. Unlike the unions who when found guilty carry on like it is a conspiracy. What was his name again Dean Margetts? Assault is legitimate to the union movement is it? Tresspass?

Heard of the Union Industry funds? What do you reckon they get up to? Yeah they are clean skins :rolleyes:.

And if the union movement is as clean as you claim then they have nothing to worry about do they?

???? The banks all have pressure on them from shareholders and analysts who go over them with a fine tooth comb.

As for being trusted, you must be kidding.

The prudential responsibilities and powers of the regulators in finance are necessary because they handle other people's money.

Insider trading is nothing to do with trusting other peoples money, want to scrap that?

Do not unions control money on behalf of their members?

Why do the ABCC need these powers when it comes to a democratically elected leaders of organisations

so no oversight of funding of political parties either?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone tell why the CFMEU feels the need to be the major sponsor of the Canberra Raiders NRL club ?

I pressume its members subs paying for this ?

Ha ha you have NFI. People in the investment community are barred from the industry, jailed in some cases, stripped of assets and clients compensated all the time. No one goes on strike to protect a crook do they? We want them punished. Unlike the unions who when found guilty carry on like it is a conspiracy. What was his name again Dean Margetts? Assault is legitimate to the union movement is it? Tresspass?

Heard of the Union Industry funds? What do you reckon they get up to? Yeah they are clean skins :rolleyes:.

And if the union movement is as clean as you claim then they have nothing to worry about do they?

You are a ****wit - the Industry Funds! APRA and ASIC control every element of their operation and have yearly on site reviews of their outfits - the investment returns of the Industry Funds compared to retail speak for themselves. Unions have no control on them whatsoever

You will find the prudential, reporting, governance and membership transparecny in Industry Super Funds far exceed anything else in the finance sector and they don't have those ridiculous long tail fees

Mate unions don't bring down the world economy by junk bonds or sub prime CDOS - were are the jail terms for those people

Your abject ignorance is showing - anyone that takes Frau Albrechson seriously has a problem.

yeah that's right, community, you'd be surprised at how many fundraisers are happening on each site.

of course, non unionists never hear about things like this, but go on any site and you'll see a big board full of thank you notes...

but hey, lets keep this quiet, we're all thugs after all aren't we?

Theres heaps, but they get less pay, less benefits, poor safety, and do little for their community.

Hence, SCABS.

Not necessarily SCABS as such but they probably work for labour-hire or labour leasing organisations where there is no representation. They are treated like any other commodity and if not liked or refuse to undertake work that is not safe, they are shipped out and replaced with the next worker who is that desperate for a job will do whatever pleases the boss. Including undertaking work that is deemed unsafe.

Not necessarily SCABS as such but they probably work for labour-hire or labour leasing organisations where there is no representation. They are treated like any other commodity and if not liked or refuse to undertake work that is not safe, they are shipped out and replaced with the next worker who is that desperate for a job will do whatever pleases the boss. Including undertaking work that is deemed unsafe.

I don't know what your definition of scab is, but u just defined mine better than any other way I've heard it.

I don't know what your definition of scab is, but u just defined mine better than any other way I've heard it.

Yes certainly there are those workers who sign up for a labour hire firm who are aware that the labour-hire firm are supplying workers to a particular site where the workers are stiking. However there are also a lot of workers, who are in precarious situations, that sign up to a labour hire firm as that seems to be the only way that can find employment. These persons may move from site to site as required by their employment agency yet are unaware that they are going to a unionised site - this happens with a lot of low skilled migrant workers (they make work in construction for two days as a general labourer, then work in a process factory for another few days etc.). Should these workers then be deemed Scabs?

A bit harsh to paint everyone with the same brush.

You are a ****wit - the Industry Funds! APRA and ASIC control every element of their operation and have yearly on site reviews of their outfits - the investment returns of the Industry Funds compared to retail speak for themselves. Unions have no control on them whatsoever

You will find the prudential, reporting, governance and membership transparecny in Industry Super Funds far exceed anything else in the finance sector and they don't have those ridiculous long tail fees

Mate unions don't bring down the world economy by junk bonds or sub prime CDOS - were are the jail terms for those people

Your abject ignorance is showing - anyone that takes Frau Albrechson seriously has a problem.

So APRA and ASIC don't monitor the finance sector? And you accuse me of ignorance, they are all governed by the same act, all audited under the same rules. I used to audit them, run education course and helped implement SIS when I worked for the Superannuation Commission.

I knew of a major fund that had hundreds of millions of dollars via one man who carried all the records on a lap top, no back up of his PC data or another manager with a clue what he was doing. Guess who put a stop to it, not your beloved union, the finance firm he worked for. They did not want the risk.

Don't see any public offer funds sponsoring Rugby Teams, (HOST sponsor Melbourne), tell me what benefit the members get from that? Do you think it is so the trustess etc can have a nice corporate box to entertain 'guests'. Guess who the Union cronies place the funds with? The finance sector you so despise. I can tell you who will be in their box too, it won't be members it will be funds managers, asset allocation specialists, lawyers and accountants.

They are as caught up in it as the next man, public offer funds pay advisors fees, union funds sponsor rugby teams and run s**t ads on TV, 'its the super of the future'.

As for your comment on people going to jail over junk bonds, once again do your homework. Google Michael Milken or Ivan Botsky. Ken Leigh ring a bell? Right now there are major investigations into various hedge funds in the US and you will see guys like Eddie Groves heading to the big house in Oz where he will join the same annals as Ray Williams, Rodney Adler and Brad Cooper.

Every seen the finance community up in arms over it? Protests through the city streets? Nope but Margets bashes people, invades public property, destroys records and you defend him with public protests.

No whose out of his depth?

Bit wide of the mark there. Who do you think controls the investment decisions? If you dont think backhanders are flying all over the place re the investment guidelines then you are naive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back