Roast "The Banana Incident"

Remove this Banner Ad

I think her actions betray a vile and odious character whose general welfare isn't top of my agenda. but whatever happens, I'm sure she's filled with remorse and regret. suspect there are different opinions on what that is worth in terms of mitigation.
Yeah acknowledgement of a problem would help.

Yeah, premeditated might be a bridge too far, but I do think it's entirely plausible that her thought process went "**** you Eddie Betts, you ******* ape, aboriginal people are apes, hey, I've got a banana in my bag, I'll show you..."

totally agree. that makes it deliberate, and broadly must have taken something like that thought process

If she isn't willing to change her way, then it will only be a matter of time before she 'stuffs' up. Therefore, she something stupid again and have no come back to a much stronger form of punishment.

I not for 'one and done'

If she is racist - wouldn't spending time with a multicultural community serve as a negative punishment as well. I would imagine, she would hate doing that.

Plus appolagising to Eddie would also be a punishment.

It sounds like you're advocating for some kind of punishment. Whether it's a suspended ban, or community service, or a public (or private) apology.

At this point the only dispute is on how big the punishment should be.

Why is everyone questioning whether or not she's a racist? A port supporter (sitting behind her) called her out after throwing the bananna at him, and she replied with "why not, he's a monkey", she's a ****en racist full stop.

I imagine the only reason it's not completely accepted at this point is that we haven't got footage of that. We're only going on one person's version of events.

Theoretically I could create a social media account and pretend to be a Port supporter and say the same thing.

But I do agree, her actions were, at least in part, racially motivated.

Koch apparently has a press conference set for 12pm to address the issue. I guess we will find out what action they will be taking soon.

probably not.

however, depending on the context that can a criminal act in itself. crimes against privacy etc.

in this case, the defence would be acting in the public interest. an effective defence I would suspect.

How is it in my (yours, anyone else) best interest to know her name?

I know it's an extreme but if she went all Helen Demidenko and ran onto the field and something happened to a player or official - I'd agree with everything said but the banana was small time and words used were not worthy of a life ban.

do you know her?

is she being unfairly vilified based on your past experience/knowledge?
Nup no idea who she is. Saw her name posted on a fb page.
The person who posted it is opening themselves up to potential litigation too hence why I won't name her.
But..considering her last name is of a European descent I would be absolutely appalled if the motive was racially based too. I come from a Euro family and wouldn't even contemplate such a thing.
Such a disappointing outcome from a generally high standard game.

Fair enough, the touretts stuff wasn't needed. It was a incorrect assessment.

However, I'm not looking to create, make or give her any excuse. I'm just saying she made a mistaken. Forgiveness and understand and making her undertstand what she did in an alternative way is just as good as throwing the book at her.

Take out the racist angle for a minute and look at the vision. She threw a projectile at a player. In this instance it may only be a banana, let's not kid ourselves it really could have been anything. For this reason alone she needs a life ban, absolutely no question.
Now add to that Port people calling her out for calling Eddie a monkey, then throwing a banana at him, she deserves her punishment.

It's not that it's in my best interest to know her name. But if she knows that people are able to associate her actions with who she is, she will probably think twice about doing it again. And it might also discourage others from doing the same thing.

It's about "people" (in general) knowing her name.

The trouble is that some people will then take justice into their own hands, and that's not a good thing. We're heading into a dangerous time on that front. But still, it's better than allowing her to continue these kinds of actions in anonymity.

It sounds like you're advocating for some kind of punishment. Whether it's a suspended ban, or community service, or a public (or private) apology.

At this point the only dispute is on how big the punishment should be.

I am.

Nowhere have I ever said, she gets off Scott free. She did something, she has to pay the price but a life ban IMO is too extreme.

its about identification. details are made public to identify wrong do'ers all the time. it starts with the old identikit photos.

I know it's an extreme but if she went all Helen Demidenko and ran onto the field and something happened to a player or official - I'd agree with everything said but the banana was small time and words used were not worthy of a life ban.

and that's the problem the banana wasn't small time, and nor was the idiots at victoria park chanting against winmar back in 1993. a life ban from footy is small time, she's in a lot more trouble than that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that it's in my best interest to know her name. But if she knows that people are able to associate her actions with who she is, she will probably think twice about doing it again. And it might also discourage others from doing the same thing.

In this case, players safety is of the absolute paramount. This lady has lost the right to anonymity by committing such a disgraceful act. She has to be used as an example to what happens. Her future mental well-being and any future depression caused could be a problem for her but if we used that as a precursor we wouldn't know who a single criminal is and make no mistake this is a criminal act. Not just a policy.

Ban for life for throwing something at a player ... im not going to accept monkey=racist though. Never thought ape=racist so i dont think calling anyone an animal is racist.

Ban for life for throwing something at a player ... im not going to accept monkey=racist though. Never thought ape=racist so i dont think calling anyone an animal is racist.

not trying to be funny, but you don't have to accept it. its a pre-existing, long accepted association with acute racism. its a thing, and has been for a very long time.

You can mount a reasonable argument that she wasn't intending to be racist by throwing a banana, but if you don't think referring to aboriginal people as apes is racist, you really need to do a bit of research on the topic.

Hint: It is based on the fact that people (falsely) claimed, for decades, that aboriginal people diverged from the European evolutionary lineage and are more closely related to apes than humans. I'm sure you can understand why this might be offensive, and why after decades of these outrageous slurs it is not acceptable to invoke the comparison again in any way.

Take out the racist angle for a minute and look at the vision. She threw a projectile at a player. In this instance it may only be a banana, let's not kid ourselves it really could have been anything. For this reason alone she needs a life ban, absolutely no question.
Now add to that Port people calling her out for calling Eddie a monkey, then throwing a banana at him, she deserves her punishment.

Do we take the technology to implement such a ban?

Would the banana constitute an assault charge?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back