Willo #6

Premiership Player
Oct 26, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Trail Blazers
Seeing as though logos seems to be flavour of the month around here, I thought I'd make a poll to see what the board decides the best logo to be.

I know this has been done on BF before but never on the FJ board (I don't believe?). I was going to put this on the main board, but thought this is exactly the kind of thread that should be in the polls and comps board.

So without further ado, what of these seventeen logos is your favourite?

Adelaide:
LOGO1.gif

Brisbane:
LOGO2.gif

Carlton:
LOGO3.gif

Collingwood:
LOGO4.gif

Essendon:
LOGO5.gif

Freo (couldn't find the shield one, although this seems the more official one anyway):
LOGO7.jpg

Geelong (they have two really):
LOGO8.gif

GC:
LOGO10-2.jpg

Hawthorn:
LOGO11.gif

Melbourne:
LOGO12.jpg

North:
LOGO13.gif

Port:
LOGO14.gif

Richmond:
LOGO15.gif

St.Kilda:
LOGO16.gif

Sydney:
LOGO17.gif

West Coast:
LOGO18-1.gif

Western Bulldogs:
LOGO6-1.gif

Personally I'm going to go with Geelong. Traditional yet modern.

Props to Mero for having one handy resource for (nearly) all the logos :thumbsu:

Re: The best logo

Good:

West Coast
Sydney
Geelong's alternate
Carlton
Collingwood
Melbourne
Richmond
St.Kilda

Middle of the road:
Bulldogs
Fremantle
Essendon

Terrible:
Port Adelaide
Geelong's Main
Brisbane
Adelaide(did they just copy the baltimore ravens??)
Hawthorn
Gold Coast
North Melbourne

WCE's would be better without the body imo, just the head would be better.

Premiers:
Carlton

Runners Up:
Hawthorn
Collingwood

Middle of the ladder:
Essendon
Fremantle
Geelong
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Richmond
St Kilda
Sydney
West Coast
Western Bulldogs

Bottom 4:
Adelaide
Brisbane
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast (spooners)

The Power logo looks great on its own or on a jumper but as soon as it is put next to the other logos I wish we would update it.

The best IMO is Melbourne it is a little too busy but it is still that good it still takes first regardless, the designers of that logo should be hired by GWS asap.

Worst has to go to Freo, that logo is an absolute disgrace. The Crows new logo was the worst but has had that mantle stolen by Fremantles monstrosity.

I don't think there really is a standout best logo in the league. They all have their faults.

I'll go with Melbourne though because the amount of effort put into it shows.
Richmonds tiger head has a lot of effort in it too but the banner thing around it a bit boring and out dated.

In terms of ratings...

Melbourne
Geelong (Alternative)
Carlton
St. Kilda
Essendon
Hawthorn
West Coast
Richmond
Collingwood [would be higher with an oldstyle font]
North Melbourne
Sydney
Port Adelaide
Geelong (Official)
Brisbane (Official)
Western Bulldogs
Brisbane (Alternative/Fitzroy Lion) [looked fine on the jumper, looks fairly crap on it's own]
Fremantle
Adelaide
Gold Coast

I think that the Hawthorn and Geelong Logo's are the best, albeit that the Hawks have ugly colours (probs the worst in the afl).

They are simple, they both use the 'shield' concept and have a strong modern feel to them which looks good for marketing purposes. interestingly the shield design whilst promoting strength is meant to be a hark back to the 80's logos and especially in the Hawks case is a modernized version of it. I find it interesting that most people have the Hawks and Cats ranked so far apart and yet their logos are very similar.

I think that Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton and St Kilda have solid traditional logos but i don't think they are necessarily the best and or most appropriate for today's world (Market) having said that i'm jealous the Hawks do not have the same kind of traditional logo.

I hate Melbourne's new logo, I see what they were trying to do, but they have tried to create an old soccer logo and i feel it just looks completely out dated and the reality is that is has no history and this removes its value as a traditional style logo.

I dont know whats going on with freo's,but it looks like they just used popeyes arm as a stencil.:D

Favourite
St Kilda-KISS principal.

Just missed out
Sydney-Only just missed out, on percentage.
Carlton-Just a little bit to simple. Much prefer their 1933-97 monogram.

The rest from best to worst
Hawthorn
North
WB
Collingwood
Melbourne
Port
Essendon
WCE
Richmond
Geelong

Bottom 4 worse to even worse
GC-Crappy logo, wont last long
Brisbane-Probably not as bad as it is made out to be, but it ruined a great jumper so it is down there
Freo-What goods a bent paper clip.
Adelaide-Baltimore called, they want their logo back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always loved ours and thought it looks very traditional. Other favourites are Hawthorn's (much better than previous attempts) and Geelong's alternate. Carlton's also for simplicity. Melbourne's one is great but I prefer it in the non-glossy version.

Don't know why West Coast's hasn't been gone on about yet. Just the head would be alright but the brand still needs a re-boot (guernseys, logos) and being so wide the logo looks really bad lined up to all the others on the AFL website.

The Eagles logo cheezes me orf; way too narrow, ochre and pterodactyl-like.
Where's the rest of the body? Is the wing up or down?
After 10 years I still can't figure out how they got to it. By far the most abstract-looking logo in the league.

Carlton-Just a little bit to simple. Much prefer their 1933-97 monogram.

Really, I think the new monogram (which isn't really that new) is much nicer than the old one. It's a bit fancy but it still looks strong.

As for the actual logo being too simple. It looks out of place when placed next to the others but on merchandise I think it looks great (well as great as anything Carlton related can be in my eyes).

The Eagles logo cheezes me orf; way too narrow, ochre and pterodactyl-like.
Where's the rest of the body? Is the wing up or down?
After 10 years I still can't figure out how they got to it. By far the most abstract-looking logo in the league.

I recall you saying that you were working on your own WCE logo. Is that still happening or have you put it aside and forgotten about it?

Really, I think the new monogram (which isn't really that new) is much nicer than the old one. It's a bit fancy but it still looks strong.

As for the actual logo being too simple. It looks out of place when placed next to the others but on merchandise I think it looks great (well as great as anything Carlton related can be in my eyes).
Mmm yeh. I think the old one has got a bit of character about it which, I feel, the current one lacks.

Yeh I agree on both points; their logo does look a bit simple compared to the others but it does serve itself well on merchandise.

The good
Geelong
Hawthorn (a little bias)
Collingwood
Carlton
Sydney
North
St.Kilda
WB
Essendon

The bad
Richmond (Tiger head is great but banner is plain and outdated)
West Coast
Melbourne
Port (Is fine but could do with an update)

The ugly
Fremantle
Brisbane
Adelaide
GC

I picked Sydney because i like the colour combo, the way it shows the jumper and some history in the "V", it shows a historical part of the city with the opera house and it gives reference to the animal mascot. It is also very neat.

I also really like Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne and St Kilda. Personally I love shields as logo's and really like how Hawthorn's hawk head turns into a shield.

I do love Melbourne's logo but i feel the glossy effect (as gibbsy said) lets it down.

I picked Carlton, biased I know. I do prefer the older one that had the latin mens sana incorpore sano on it (a healthy mind in a healthy body). Other clubs logos that I like are Collingwood, Geelong's alternative one and St. Kilda's.

I can't form an opinion one way or the other on Essendon's in regards to liking or hating. It reminds me of the cartoonish ones that the American sports teams came out with in the late 1990s. For example, the Golden State Warriors and Houston Rockets logos.

Golden+State+Warriors+Logo.png
houston_rockets_logo-9846.gif

images

So if I would form an opinion - it's so 1990s. They need to update and either take a classical look or something modern and up to date, not something stuck in the relatively recent past.

I don't like Melbourne's logo. It's way too busy. I can't imagine that on clothing looking too good - it'd be hard to get the stitching and everything spot on. The glossy shine also annoys me on the picture shown.

One thing I don't like about our logo is the sheild and text. I think the plane looks better by itself. Although when we do change our logo I'd prefer a full update with a new bomber.

Carlton for sure (as much as I hate to say it). You know a logo works when you instantly recognise what it is despite there not being any words.

I'm a fan of Sydney's too, simple but incorporates three strong elements of their identity (the jumper, the Sydney skyline and the Swan).

Port's is by far the worst, in every way except for the colours.

I ruled out Richmond so I could be objective, and based on the other logos, I went for St Kilda. A great heraldry design, simple yet striking.

No surprise that you can lump various logos together. I knew Richmond's logo was brought in for 1995, as clubs were dropping the 1970s shield logos. Having a look into the archives...

Collingwood's is the oldest of the current crop, brought in for their centenary in 1992 but altered by request of the Federal government in 2004. http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/15/1063478124344.html

Here's the list:

1992 - Collingwood (corrected in 2004)
1995 - Richmond, St Kilda
1997 - Essendon, Sydney, Port Adelaide (altered in 2001)
1999 - Western Bulldogs
2000 - West Coast
2006 - Carlton
2007 - North Melbourne
2008 - Geelong (cat silhouette logo might be older), Hawthorn
2010 - Adelaide, Brisbane
2011 - Fremantle, Gold Coast, Melbourne

With GWS revealing their identity on November 16, add them to the 2011 list.

Honestly, I can't believe Adelaide has polled a vote, although it is from one of their supporters :cool:

Back