Mega Thread The Bucks Megathread.

Remove this Banner Ad

You might be missing a Pertinent point here.

If Pert was the problem.. why did it take so long to push him out?

Mate. You walk into the Collingwood FC.. I couldn't give a s**t if you were best man at my wedding.. christened my kids.. shared Fri nights getting shitfaced and picking up. You're not doing your job.. you're out!

A football club should rid itself of politics. It's no different to you challenging me and me challenging you.. we could be best of friends.. you're not doing your job.. then out you go!

This is what I feel is why it took so long to show Pert the door.. get rid of the politics.. there are no friends when you walk into the front doors at the CFC.. do your job! It's cost us a s**t load of yrs..

BringouttheGimp I don't understand why you, (and others) are still banging on about how long he's had the job etc etc.
Gone Critical and others, (including myself) concede he was lucky to be re-appointed.
He was re-appointed, the team/club seem happy, I personally am happy when we play our brand of footy.
Think about how many times this year we hear the buzz in the crowd when Varcs passes to WHE or Stevo takes off on a run or Treloar/Crisp dash through the middle or Brodie roves his own ruck dual and pumps it forward.
Why not just focus on that - the here and now.

I am.. I actually did say.. this is the yr I have enjoyed most under Buckley's tenure.

My posts are looking at the future.. don't f about if a bloke ain't doing his job. There are no mates in the boardroom.. why.. cause there's a million of us outside of it.

Imagine the reaction if Buckley ripped the guts out of the 2011 squad, or changed the game plan.

He can’t win with some.
Imagine if Buckley was successful coach?

He can win some just like to make excuses

BringouttheGimp I don't understand why you, (and others) are still banging on about how long he's had the job etc etc.
Gone Critical and others, (including myself) concede he was lucky to be re-appointed.
He was re-appointed, the team/club seem happy, I personally am happy when we play our brand of footy.
Think about how many times this year we hear the buzz in the crowd when Varcs passes to WHE or Stevo takes off on a run or Treloar/Crisp dash through the middle or Brodie roves his own ruck dual and pumps it forward.
Why not just focus on that - the here and now.

I look at Carltank and SOS.. what he did with his scatterbrain recruitment policy.. I couldn't give a s**t if you're a great of the club.. that's enough for me to show you the door.

Another one is Bolton.. the bloke to me coaches out of a text book.. out you go as well.

That's precisely what I don't want happening at our club. Couldn't give a s**t who you are.. know what you're doing.. or at least show me your potential. Don't waste my time.

This s**t with Pert.. why the hell did it take as so long to show the bloke the door? Surely they woulda known he wasn't doing his job adequately enough yrs and yrs ago. Piss your friendships off when you walk through the door.. friendships are completely irrelevant.

Go piss it up together after hrs if you like re. But when you walk into the club.. mean business.

Ferguson's philosophy.. ruthlessness when it came to the club.. could have easily given players an extra yr or 2.. but naaahhh.. I'm looking for better.. friendships broken.. for what.. a s**t load of championships in the EPL and Cups in Europe. Let Roy Keane talk s**t as much as he likes.

If Pert was the problem.. why did it take so long to push him out?

Mate. You walk into the Collingwood FC.. I couldn't give a s**t if you were best man at my wedding.. christened my kids.. shared Fri nights getting shitfaced and picking up. You're not doing your job.. you're out!

A football club should rid itself of politics. It's no different to you challenging me and me challenging you.. we could be best of friends.. you're not doing your job.. then out you go!

This is what I feel is why it took so long to show Pert the door.. get rid of the politics.. there are no friends when you walk into the front doors at the CFC.. do your job! It's cost us a s**t load of yrs..
Think you need to cool the jets a little. Pert was a very good CEO. Got the job in 2007 and presided over a flag, another GF, 5 top 4 finishes and 7 finals series from May 2007 to June 2017.

His tenure coincided with one of the really successful times of the CFC. The stories of him being to blame for our downfall have been fueled to a significant extent by the hype of our BF community. These characterisations grow wings in these pages. His time was up when he went, maybe he stayed a season too long but lets not paint him as anything other than a successful CEO for Collingwood.

Think you need to cool the jets a little. Pert was a very good CEO. Got the job in 2007 and presided over a flag, another GF, 5 top 4 finishes and 7 finals series from May 2007 to June 2017.

His tenure coincided with one of the really successful times of the CFC. The stories of him being to blame

I was responding to Anzac's post in relation to Pert.. so made the assumption that Pert was too blame for a lot of the s**t.. and if Perts gone.. wasn't because he did a bad job in his last yr.. would have been for longer than that re..

Anyhow it's Friday re.. not worth thinking about.. time to start thinking about launching into slabs and s**t re and enjoying the day/night.

Last edited:
I'd love to work in an industry where I can perform poorly for 5 yrs.. and still have a job..
But this is you incorrectly linking a premiership as the only way a coach has met his performance target.

That is like you being one of 18 sales people working for a company in different regions, all of the regions are not created equal in terms of potential customers, yet the performance target for all 18 is to get the most new customers.

The 17 who don’t are deemed as failures
if the football department was s**t.. why did it take us so long to investigate it?
Because the biggest problem was attrition in the leadership...

how many heads of the footy department did we churn through after Walsh left early in 2013?

Walsh had been in the gig for what 8 years, stability and direction when we were strong.

Everyone's saying that Buckley is a lot more relaxed.. delegates more authority to his assistants.. etc. Where was all of this in his 7 yrs at the helm? Ohhhh.. he went about his business knowing that the football department was poor.. ok I get it.. no blame on Buckley whatsoever..
Players come out most years spruiking how great things are, until they go pear shaped.

But yes, most coaches would also develop and tweak things as they mature...continuous improvement and all that.
Let's face it.. we employed a senior coach to train him to become a senior coach. Even if he is successful.. and that means winning a premiership.. we went about it the wrong way.
succession planning, is vital for all organisations...if done correctly.

Absolutely nothing wrong with an organisation identifying its next leaders and then having a person coached and mentored by the incumbent.

So yes, MM not being able to put his ego aside and actually follow through with his part of the arrangement set Collingwood back big time.

Then when Walsh left in early 2013 we had a rudderless footy department basically until he came back for the start of 2017.

But this is you incorrectly linking a premiership as the only way a coach has met his performance target.

That is like you being one of 18 sales people working for a company in different regions, all of the regions are not created equal in terms of potential customers, yet the performance target for all 18 is to get the most new customers.

how many heads of the footy department did we churn through after Walsh left early in 2013?

Walsh had been in the gig for what 8 years, stability and direction when we were strong.

Players come out most years spruiking how great things are, until they go pear shaped.

But yes, most coaches would also develop and tweak things as they mature...continuous improvement and all that.

Absolutely nothing wrong with an organisation identifying its next leaders and then having a person coached and mentored by the incumbent.

So yes, MM not being able to put his ego aside and actually follow through with his part of the arrangement set Collingwood back big time.

Then when Walsh left in early 2013 we had a rudderless footy department basically until he came back for the start of 2017.

I suggest you look up the definition of 'succession planning'.. it's not employing someone in the role based on 2 yrs of AIS coaching experience re.. just a fancy term handed out by the club to give the Buckley appointment validity.

Find me an organisation that has employed someone in a succession planning role after only a coupla yrs coaching juniors.. and don't give me no IGA vege department manager role re..

The bloke got the succession planning role without having even coached a game as an assistant.. why.. Collingwood and AFL endorsed product is why.

Last edited:
I suggest you look up the definition of 'succession planning'.. it's not employing someone in the role based on 2 yrs of AIS coaching experience re.. just a fancy term handed out by the club to give the Buckley appointment validity.

Find me an organisation that has employed someone in a succession planning role after only a coupla yrs coaching juniors.. and don't give me no IGA vege department manager role re..

The bloke got the succession planning role without having even coached a game as an assistant.. why.. Collingwood and AFL endorsed product is why.
You are getting the concepts mixed up.

Succession planning is about identifying people who will be the next leaders of the organisation, and then designing a process that will enable them to be ready to then step into senior roles.

Nothing wrong with that at all, if done properly Roos with Longmire.

You have issue with the initial talent identification, all time great coaches like Matthews, Sheedy and even MM himself didn’t have any real apprenticeship after their playing days.

So yes the club fecked up by not realising MM has too big an ego to actually hold up his end of the bargain.

It was then left in a position where we had an inexperienced coach with a shambolic football department with no continuity of leadership.

The simplistic Buckley is the problem sh1t just doesn’t fly...re

You are getting the concepts mixed up.

Succession planning is about identifying people who will be the next leaders of the organisation, and then designing a process that will enable them to be ready to then step into senior roles.

Nothing wrong with that at all, if done properly Roos with Longmire.

You have issue with the initial talent identification, all time great coaches like Matthews, Sheedy and even MM himself didn’t have any real apprenticeship after their playing days.

So yes the club fecked up by not realising MM has too big an ego to actually hold up his end of the bargain.

It was then left in a position where we had an inexperienced coach with a shambolic football department with no continuity of leadership.

The simplistic Buckley is the problem sh1t just doesn’t fly...re

How are blokes who were appointed.. whatever criteria they used 30 yrs ago.. how the hell are they applicable in this day and age re?

C'mon re.

I'm so misunderstood here.. you can read through every single one of my Buckley posts to know that I want the bloke to succeed.. what I'm upset about is the 7 yrs of my footy life lost.. I have been pleading with Buckley and the club to get it right.. my recommendations over the yrs.. have the 2018 we are a seriously good side signature written all over em..

I'm a f great re..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are blokes who were appointed.. whatever criteria they used 30 yrs ago.. how the hell are they applicable in this day and age re?

C'mon re.
What is the criteria today?

Being an assistant at a successful club seems pretty high on the list.

Hence the Hawks and Sydney assistant coaches recently...getting a good run, and before them it was Sheedy and MM assistants.

But for every Hardwick there are more guys like Neeld who have the longer apprentice and impressive CV, but simply don’t have IT...it seems you place Bolton in the not having IT group.

Collingwood wasn’t the only club who identified Buckley as a potential senior coach...and for mine Bucks has IT, he just has that presence.

I'm so misunderstood here.. you can read through every single one of my Buckley posts to know that I want the bloke to succeed.. what I'm upset about is the 7 yrs of my footy life lost.. I have been pleading with Buckley and the club to get it right.. my recommendations over the yrs.. have the 2018 we are a seriously good side signature written all over em...
footy life lost...that is just dribble...re

The frustration and poor seasons are what makes the winning seasons even better.

The club lost its way post 2012, key senior figures like Walsh and MM weren’t there...better succession planning may have helped the transition, but sh1t happens...re

We have Walsh back heading up the footy dept, and Buckley is now an experienced senior coach...time to contend again

The only bit I disagree with is your assertion that the football department was rudderless when Walsh left. Neil Balme and Rodney eade weren't exactly bad in their jobs. Sometimes football managers are in the right place at the right time, just like senior coaches. You fluke a few gem footballers in the national draft and the coaching group and football manager sit back and enjoy the spoils (for example, Stephenson in last year's national draft). It's always easier to blame a football department for poor performance when it's more poor recruitment (which can be like a lottery).

The only bit I disagree with is your assertion that the football department was rudderless when Walsh left. Neil Balme and Rodney eade weren't exactly bad in their jobs. Sometimes football managers are in the right place at the right time, just like senior coaches. You fluke a few gem footballers in the national draft and the coaching group and football manager sit back and enjoy the spoils (for example, Stephenson in last year's national draft). It's always easier to blame a football department for poor performance when it's more poor recruitment (which can be like a lottery).
What makes you say they weren’t bad?

Rocket was originally employed as coaching director, similar to what was proposed for MM.

When Walsh left...we pushed Rocket into the role, but why was he a good director of football? Did we end up filling the role we employed him for, the coaching role...which was strength.

Balme was there for 5 minutes, and left to avoid the Gubby mess. Then Wagner stepped up before finally got Walsh back.

If you have no stable strong leadership at the head of football are people really surprised that we battled?

I've done all I can for this thread.. to educate the masses and s**t re.. exhausted yet well worth it.

Good too see everyone a lot more knowledgeable for the experience.

As such.. I am kindly asking the mods to put a ban or caveat or whatever the f you call it.. on me.. for this thread.

Great to see we've turned the corner somewhat this yr.

Time to push for that top 4 spot now re.. and a premiership.

Luv yas re.. sorry getting emotional here re.

I've done all I can for this thread.. to educate the masses and s**t re.. exhausted yet well worth it.

As such.. I am kindly asking the mods to put a ban or caveat or whatever the f you call it.. on me.. for this thread.

OK Gimpy, dont come back to this thread.......or else.....Re.

Now this is good news!

It really is the gamma of emotions I feel when I'm posting in this thread.

Exhausting yes.. but it's nice to know I've enlightenment the Collingwood bf public re.. without charge re.. tsaba.
They will never appreciate it if you dont charge. Maybe a gumtree add or post on the IGA community board

"Good guidance given. Gorillas gravitate Gimpy"

For the emotional cost you deserve it.

Gimpy... your heart is in the right place my man, everyone can see that. :thumbsu::rainbow:

Yes the last few years have been a struggle but don't cry about spilled milk, it's all about today and the direction we're now headed; hopefully the club has learned its lesson.

I can't be fooked bitching about the lost years, there's light at the end of the tunnel; let's enjoy what's to come.

Mate .... just read don't post or don't even read. Nothing we have to discuss here is going to change the world as we know it so why give a?
Can we in this thread if possible talk about how the coaching group as a whole is going right now not yesterday not tomorrow.
Yeah its hard but one in every whatever posts still fits that bill. I got no idea, wouldn't have renewed the contract but who was the replacement? Seems to me the current coaching group is going well. Were we that bad that anybody could have improved things, is the improvement the inevitable result of having a bunch of players that are coming into their best years of footy, is it the changes in coaching personnel? I don't know. For me, make finals or quit this year Bucks. Do better than just make finals next year or quit. Simple and quantitative but this is where the past comes in and at some time you draw a line in the sand.

Great robust discussion.
To all the mates, brothers, sisters, Re, Lan, Uleh, Pal, Comrade, and Cobbers... Keep up the passion through good times and bad. It's the fabric of our DNA.
"As all barrackers should."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back