Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won the 1st 3 games in 2012, come Rnd 4 we all know what happened ....... Lonergan! :mad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Carrazzo

We played them again later on in the year and beat them by 96 points.

Yep I remember, beat the Pies in rd 3 and had the Premiership Moët on ice and ready. Carrazzo was a very good tagger at the time, losing a tagger isn't enough to derail the season of a true quality side though. We were just kool aided up into thinking we were better than we were.

Last edited:
Did the crime did the time my eye :rolleyes:

Their dirty 34 players were allowed to play and compete for the next 3 years with the benefits of the juice still in their system.

When this s**t stain of a club we’re finally punished they were allowed to stock up their list with players they were allowed to paid outside of the salary cap, and further they were rewarded by being to allowed have pick 1, which they got as a direct result of their punishment.

Did the crime did the time - spare me. :rolleyes:

They didn’t just derail our season they corrupted the results of the entire competition that season and beyond - and 600 odd other AFL players that were not juiced up.

Rage on for life if you want mate, won't change the way the Blues side of that time is remembered by the football world. WADA had their way with the Bombers in the end.

Last edited:

Yep I remember, beat the Pies in rd 3 and had the Premiership Moët on ice and ready. Carrrazzo was a very good tagged at the time, losing a tagger isn't enough to derail the season of a true quality side though. We were just kool aided up into thinking we were better than we were.

The kool aid was at windy hill, not princes park.

Essendon corrupted the AFL seasons of 2012 through to 2016, and despite what you say about WADA having their way with them shouldn’t be allowed to forget it till the last of those 34 players are no longer in the AFL system.
How many of the 34 are still playing at AFL level ?

I understand what you're getting at, but with all due respect to Netball - and as willing as I myself am to watch it when it's on TV - I simply cannot see it as being a genuine revenue stream as the women's AFL side will be capable of, despite its longevity. An e-sports side is more of the opposite issue; if it's successful, it could be a great revenue stream and a source of fans that are Carlton e-sports fans, for 1-4 years, the average competitave life of a game. After that, those fans will do what video game fans do and move on to other video games.

There is little point to a revenue stream that is a drain on resources, and if a revenue stream takes 2 years to set up and become profitable yet is done and dusted after 1-4, it's a massive risk. It's why I'm far more interested in the plan to greater engage our pre-existing supporter base over trying out a fad.

Hell, try and establish a Carlton FC in the A league or a Carlton Blues big bash side; they'd sell merchandise, memberships, you name it. But look to fields that are more sustainable than netball and e-sports.

Thanks for the detailed post, to be honest, i know nothing about Esports, i thought it was a group of pro gamers who played multiple games and not just one. Im not sure why you don't think Netball is sustainable, as far as I'm aware I'm pretty sure the main Netball league pays a very good wage and has strong support.

If only we could get a team in the Big Bash or A-league it would be great. As i mentioned earlier I'm not fussed what it is as long as the club is thinking outside the box and giving a lot of thought to these ideas.

I agree that Ratten was doomed with the recruitment and development structure we had in place.

In hindsight Ratten was amazing in bringing the club to a kick of a preliminary final.

I can’t help get the feeling (my opinion only) that at some stage in the future Ratts might get another shot at a Senior gig.

I hope Ratts does, but him getting sacked by the Blues i think was the best thing that could have happened to him coaching wise.

Thanks for the detailed post, to be honest, i know nothing about Esports, i thought it was a group of pro gamers who played multiple games and not just one. Im not sure why you don't think Netball is sustainable, as far as I'm aware I'm pretty sure the main Netball league pays a very good wage and has strong support.

If only we could get a team in the Big Bash or A-league it would be great. As i mentioned earlier I'm not fussed what it is as long as the club is thinking outside the box and giving a lot of thought to these ideas.
Ask the people who've already corrected me as to e-sports in here; I'm still rather cynical as to its ability to garner support and potentially become sustainable.

My issue with netball is largely that it swings between almost being capable of generating its own support and not being able to do so, over and over. There is a chance, over the next few years, where netball can seize popular support, buoyed up by the positive response to women's sport, and if the club decides to got that way i'm okay with it, but there's a huge chance that netball will do what it's always done, and continue to ebb and flow in popularity the way it's always done.

What i'm getting at is, I want two things from any extraneous revenue stream; I want them to be capable of supporting themselves in a short to medium term, and I want them to be able to translate their popularity into followers at AFL games, if not in terms of memberships into attendances.

I don't know a sufficient amount about either to really comment, so this is probably my last input here, and if someone who knows what they're talking about disputes what i'm saying with facts that's perfectly fine with me. All I'm saying is that I'm not sure either avenue is capable of doing both of what we need to make them successful at building Carlton as a brand or as a club.

Essendon corrupted the AFL seasons of 2012 through to 2016, and despite what you say about WADA having their way with them shouldn’t be allowed to forget it till the last of those 34 players are no longer in the AFL system.
Imo that stain of a club will be known as the drug cheats forever and a day . Its up to our generation to drum it into our kids and grandkids what they done so they can be reminded every single year for as long as the AFL exists. :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely monstered Pendlebury a few times. Loved Carrazzo.

Who wouldn't?
Wasn't the most skilful player but blue ran through his veins.

We played them again later on in the year and beat them by 96 points.

Ah 2012! Back when Levi could kick a goal from 50 on the tightest of angles, but couldn't kick a set shot from 10 straight in front. :rolleyes:

Imo that stain of a club will be known as the drug cheats forever and a day . Its up to our generation to drum it into our kids and grandkids what they done so they can be reminded every single year for as long as the AFL exists. :mad:
Amen

Who wouldn't?
Wasn't the most skilful player but blue ran through his veins.

Ah 2012! Back when Levi could kick a goal from 50 on the tightest of angles, but couldn't kick a set shot from 10 straight in front. :rolleyes:
I remember watchimg Levi snap a 50 from the boundary a couple of years ago ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back