Opinion The Collingwood Versus Port Adelaide Jumper Debate continues...

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not one myself to make any typical "ViC bIaS" accusations, but I seriously cannot for the life of me understand why wearing a South Australian jumper in a South Australian venue for a game between two South Australian sides should have any impact on anyone outside of the state.

Are Collingwood supporters worried that sales of the jumper in SA shops are going to somehow damage Collingwood jersey sales in a completely separate state? We're not selling it outside of SA!

Because..given an inch, you’ll take a mile ..eventually

Same club two teams. We wouldn’t be in the AFL if it were not for the SANFL club you say isn’t the same club. Same club, same name, same history. We should be able to celebrate that history as every other club does

Just a dumb argument
Hey dumbo , it’s not the same clubs

This tells us you know nothing about marketing. Each AFL club has a brand focused around a unique colour scheme and key design element. Collingwood's brand equity is intristinically linked with the black and white stripes. Port need to accept that on a national level their brand is now focused around the black teal and white chevron.
The AFL brand is to be a National competition representing football across the whole country.

The AFL need to accept that if they represent football not just a small subset of VFL clubs and as such recognise ALL clubs histories and traditions.

This argument is so dumb, dumb supported always say “just wear light blue or pink lololol”

We wore the prison bars for a century, it’s our most iconic jumper. That’s the point.
The lightning bolts are the iconic AFL jumper

Screenshot_20220811-095934_Samsung Internet.jpg

That is Port Power.

The lightning bolts are the iconic AFL jumper

View attachment 1473122

That is Port Power.

A great jumper. And one that will be remembered fondly in our long history - the one we wore in our 7 year journey from SANFL record holders to AFL Premiers.

Just as THIS one will be remembered in Richmond's history:
1660203071164.jpeg

Not forgetting that it was Richmond's refusal to wear a clash strip that saw Port wear THIS jumper at Adelaide Oval in the 2014 AFL finals series:

power-players-line-up-for-the-anthem-before-the-first-elimination-picture-id454835964

History has many chapters.

That one club refuses the capacity of another club to celebrate some of the proudest chapters of its history at its own home game once a year is a stain on the AFL and its claim to being a national competition.

Last edited:
The AFL brand is to be a National competition representing football across the whole country.

The AFL need to accept that if they represent football not just a small subset of VFL clubs and as such recognise ALL clubs histories and traditions.
And you want a SANFL club’s vast collection of premiership flags along side the Power one and have it all “recognised” by everyone else in the footy community.

Total delusion.

A great jumper. And one that will be remembered fondly in our long history - the one we wore in our 7 year journey from SANFL record holders to AFL Premiers.

Just as THIS one will be remembered in Richmond's history:
View attachment 1473211

Not forgetting that it was Richmond's refusal to wear a clash strip that saw Port wear THIS jumper at Adelaide Oval in the 2014 AFL finals series:

power-players-line-up-for-the-anthem-before-the-first-elimination-picture-id454835964

History has many chapters.

That one club refuses the capacity of another club to celebrate some of the proudest chapters of its history at its own home game once a year is a stain on the AFL and its claim to being a national competition.
Port play in the Bars in the SANFL every weekend.

The Bars isnt a national jumper, it is an SANFL jumper.

Just like Port moved on from the Magpies to go national as the Power, time for the club to stop looking backwards.

25 years as the Power now, yet the club is still more focussed on wanting to push the Magpies from the 70s and 80s.

I think you will find that the historic club Port Adelaide Football Club entered the AFL while a new club Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club was established in 1997 because the SANFL threatened legal action. So the historic Port Adelaide club is actually the current club that is in the AFL and always has been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide Football Club itself says they are completely different clubs with separate histories...
View attachment 1473457

Seriously?

Bbc Police GIF by Line of Duty

The 'Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club' did not exist when any of those 34 premierships were won in the SANFL. The Port Adelaide Football Club which won those 34 Premierships is the one awarded the 2nd SA based AFL licence in December 1994. The same Port Adelaide Football Club competing in BOTH the AFL and SANFL today.

But hey, don't feel too bad. All is not lost.

Please send me your email address and bank account details. I know this Nigerian Prince who thinks you might be able to help him get his fortune out of the country and will pay you handsomely for your assistance.

He will gladly send you a letter to prove he is legitimate.

The 'Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club' did not exist when any of those 34 premierships were won in the SANFL. The Port Adelaide Football Club which won those 34 Premierships is the one awarded the 2nd SA based AFL licence in December 1994. The same Port Adelaide Football Club competing in BOTH the AFL and SANFL today.
The letter was issued by a representative of your club. Or are you saying it is fake?

Post merger, Port Power is the single club now...the Port Magpies are no longer.

About time they stopped playing in the old defunct Port Magpies kit in the SANFL too.

Should be retired to the museum just like the other Port historical jumpers.

Port should play in Chevrons in ALL competitions now, as that is the jumper of the topline mens and womens team.

I'm in favour of letting clubs wear whatever they want, whenever they want.

Wanna wear a massive dick on your jumper? Go right ahead.

Wanna play in the nude? Fine by me.

Wanna kit up in your opposition's heritage jumper? Be my guest.

Wanna straight-up wear the opposition's jumper? Fantastic - imagine the spectacle.

Minimise the bureaucracy IMO.

I find the whole thing ridiculous. They joined the AFL as the Power. It's so simple. The issue the AFL has is the new identity Port are trying to morph into. The AFL introuduced 'Port Adelaide Power est 1997'

I find the whole thing ridiculous. They joined the AFL as the Power. It's so simple. The issue the AFL has is the new identity Port are trying to morph into. The AFL introuduced 'Port Adelaide Power est 1997'
Because they merged with the Port Adelaide Magpies 10 years ago. Regardless of what they joined as or who you think was the original Port Adelaide it doesn't matter now. Either way the Prison Bars jumper is their heritage or has become their heritage through the merger.

I think you will find that the historic club Port Adelaide Football Club entered the AFL while a new club Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club was established in 1997 because the SANFL threatened legal action. So the historic Port Adelaide club is actually the current club that is in the AFL and always has been.

Still not the same club no matter how much you spin it

And how is that possible now that those separate clubs merged more than a decade ago? Without a time machine how can they be different clubs now? Serious question. For what it is worth I never considered them the same club pre-merger either but now it's a completely illogical stance. You could say they weren't the same club in past tense but to say that they are not now and that Port AFL has no link to the SANFL heritage in the here and now is wrong.

I'm in favour of letting clubs wear whatever they want, whenever they want.

Wanna wear a massive dick on your jumper? Go right ahead.

Wanna play in the nude? Fine by me.

Wanna kit up in your opposition's heritage jumper? Be my guest.

Wanna straight-up wear the opposition's jumper? Fantastic - imagine the spectacle.

Minimise the bureaucracy IMO.

The AFL commission overlords are there to keep order.

If we don’t have order then you run the risk of everyone running around making up their own rules.

If Fremantle suddenly declared they were “ merging “ WAFL South Fremantle FC and claiming all their flags as club history, there would be an uproar.

Thats no difference to what Port Power are doing.

The AFL commission overlords are there to keep order.

If we don’t have order then you run the risk of everyone running around making up their own rules.

If Fremantle suddenly declared they were “ merging “ WAFL South Fremantle FC and claiming all their flags as club history, there would be an uproar.

Thats no difference to what Port Power are doing.
Nah * it I reckon. Let the clubs do what they want. It will be entertaining.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back