Universal Love The crowd is back! (and how good was the 2009 final?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowd is getting louder.

Even with 16,000 tonight it sounded like 25,000. Guess that's what happens when you're in games in the 4th
We finally have some kids that are giving us something to cheer for.
I only hope it improves the membership numbers next year.

We finally have some kids that are giving us something to cheer for.
I only hope it improves the membership numbers next year.

I'm a weird fan as I've only really been to lions games on the regular since 2015.

Getting goosebumps thinking how loud it was last night actually, we're a club with our voice back. Seeing the excitement of the 20 year members around me is special, they've seen a team build like this before.

Bad times make the good times better. Membership numbers will reflect that.

I'm a weird fan as I've only really been to lions games on the regular since 2015.

Getting goosebumps thinking how loud it was last night actually, we're a club with our voice back. Seeing the excitement of the 20 year members around me is special, they've seen a team build like this before.

Bad times make the good times better. Membership numbers will reflect that.
You aint seen nothing yet then.
Wait until there are 30000+ there, that will give you shivers. Especially in a close game and a fully invested crowd. Lifts the roof off the place. (If there was one)

At half time last night we went out for take away, but we were still in the car on the way home when the 3qtr started.......I commented on how loud the crowd sounded listening on the radio..was quite incredible, gave me goosebumps too..

I love hearing our fans going ballistic at the ground......and as you say, we have our voice back.

The roar is getting louder and louder. Music to this Lions ears:thumbsu:

Wait until there are 30000+ there, that will give you shivers. Especially in a close game and a fully invested crowd. Lifts the roof off the place. (If there was one)
I've been to a lot of footy in Melbourne and Brisbane at the height of great Lions teams and non-Lions particularly at Subiaco Oval and to this day the loudest crowd I've heard was the Lions v Carlton Elimination Final in 09 at the Gabba. That game was deafening after Bradshaw kicked the sealer.

I've been to a lot of footy in Melbourne and Brisbane at the height of great Lions teams and non-Lions particularly at Subiaco Oval and to this day the loudest crowd I've heard was the Lions v Carlton Elimination Final in 09 at the Gabba. That game was deafening after Bradshaw kicked the sealer.
I was there and it was unbelievable.
I have never been in Melbourne to watch a game so have nothing to compare to - but it was deafening.

My best game live was the Saints game when Riewoldt got his collarbone snapped. It was electric especially with all the little fights breaking out all over the ground. God I miss those days.

My best game live was the Saints game when Riewoldt got his collarbone snapped. It was electric especially with all the little fights breaking out all over the ground. God I miss those days.
This one?

Watch "Brisbane Lions v St. Kilda - Nick Riewoldt Incident - Part 1" on YouTube

This one?

Watch "Brisbane Lions v St. Kilda - Nick Riewoldt Incident - Part 1" on YouTube

yeah. Doubt it would have had the absolute noise of the final quarter 09 final against the Blues but the whole game was fairly exciting as a spectator. I love a good 'fight' and there were plenty that night! We were on our last legs and the Saints were the up and coming team. Both clubs had a bit to play for and luckily we got the win.

yeah. Doubt it would have had the absolute noise of the final quarter 09 final against the Blues but the whole game was fairly exciting as a spectator. I love a good 'fight' and there were plenty that night! We were on our last legs and the Saints were the up and coming team. Both clubs had a bit to play for and luckily we got the win.
09 elim final was the best live game i can remember. Loud as anything ive heard before.

Probably the biggest positive for mine is the fact we are obvious 1 win ahead of last season but also 10% higher. Still last on the ladder but im not sure thats a completely bad thing.

09 elim final was the best live game i can remember. Loud as anything ive heard before.

Probably the biggest positive for mine is the fact we are obvious 1 win ahead of last season but also 10% higher. Still last on the ladder but im not sure thats a completely bad thing.
I didn't go to the 09 final, can't remember why but there must have been a valid reason. Would have been absolutely amazing to experience that atmosphere live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you look at it like that we're not going too bad, hopefully we don't have to wait 36, 50 or 52 years for our next flag or I'll be on the over 50's thread deceased BF keyboard warriors honor board by then.

Should Fitzroy's 8 flags be on premiership tallies?

Big call there Jasonpm - calling the award for yourself early!

As it happens I think we are a strong chance of being premiers within the next decade, so you'll be around.

I didn't go to the 09 final, can't remember why but there must have been a valid reason. Would have been absolutely amazing to experience that atmosphere live.

The '96 elimination final when we beat the bombers by a point. 22k at the old gabba sounded like a full MCG. I still miss the terrace in front of the scoreboard bar.

That night was fantastic but I still think the loudest one off raw emotion roar was for the 2nd Jason Akermanis goal from the pocket in the wet v the Cats in round 13 2005. Section 74 had a great view of those 2 goals sailing through the big sticks.

Mate i s**t you not i was one of the last people to get general admission tickets. Got ticketmaster/tickettec cant remember which one at the time about 2 hours before it opened and there was a lineup. Got my 4 tickets then went shopping. Come back and over heard people saying gen admission was sold out.

Mate and I sat behind the Carlton Cheer Squad that night. There were a few mouthy cocky types attached to them that started on the crowd from the opening goal. Suffice to say we let them have it late in that final quarter. I also remember screaming that hard that at one point I slumped back into my seat and near passed out!

If we had scientific data to measure it, I would just about stake my life that the three loudest roars ever in the entire history of the Gabba happened in that one game vs Carlton in 09, and that includes cricket and every game in the premiership era too when Akermanis regularly set the crowd on fire.

1. Rich's goal.
2. Bradshaw's goal - the Gabba literally shook. No hyperbole.
3. The final siren.

No videos do it justice, but this one comes close. I doubt I will ever have a better night at the Gabba in my life. There was magic in the air that day.

Last edited:
If we had scientific data to measure it, I would just about stake my life that the three loudest roars ever in the entire history of the Gabba happened in that one game vs Carlton in 09, and that includes cricket and every game in the premiership era too.

1. Rich's goal.
2. Bradshaw's goal - the Gabba literally shook. No hyperbole.
3. The final siren.

No videos do it justice, but this one comes close.

Almost looks like Michael Close in the crowd there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back