The death of the dead rubber

Remove this Banner Ad

I love beating the Poms as much as anyone. But one is obliged to stand and applaud the courage shown by several England players in the SCG Test, and a gutsy draw was their reward. For mine, such efforts put to death the myth of the dead rubber - if games like this meant nothing to the players, they wouldn't put their bodies on the line in such extraordinary ways. Well done England!!!

I love beating the Poms as much as anyone. But one is obliged to stand and applaud the courage shown by several England players in the SCG Test, and a gutsy draw was their reward. For mine, such efforts put to death the myth of the dead rubber - if games like this meant nothing to the players, they wouldn't put their bodies on the line in such extraordinary ways. Well done England!!!

There have been some great dead rubber games over the years - the Mark Butcher hundred in 2001, tye ashes were retained already (not won, admittedly) during the Dean Headley game, the Graham Smith match, the Clarke match, the 418 chase, and that’s just the ones that have involved australia.

The WTC has added a bit to it though

100% agree

Take a step back and think of the origin of cricket and you have a rich lord, bored as bat s**t, no tv and a nagging wife. He invites another lord to come and stay at his house and to challenge his servants and local villagers for a test match.

What better way to end 5 days of food, wine, evening entertainment etc with an equal............but with a draw.

There is something quite wonderful about a contest where a draw is well earned! It is very English

As already stated, the Test Championship has well and truly put the "dead rubber" to bed. Just because a series has been decided, it doesn't mean each Test isn't there to be won. The English team were fantastic in this Test, the courage of Bairstow, Stokes, etc, they showed all the guts you like to see in a Test cricketer.

The Test we have seen had just about everything. The remarkable incident where Green bowled Stokes and the bails refused to drop. Khawaja's century in each innings after only getting a game because Head had Covid concerns. A wonderful century by Bairstow, that partnership with an equally courageous Stokes effectively saved the Test for England.

Then we saw the drama at the end where Australia were only permitted to bowl spinners for the final 4 overs because of failing light .... curious event in a floodlit stadium, but still :) I loved every ball of this Test and look forward to the next "dead rubber" in Hobart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back