The Facts and Fiction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Giants lose priority access to big Bushranger
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-11/giants-lose-priority-access-to-murray-bushranger

Few interesting quotes here.
GWS football manager Wayne Campbell told AFL.com.au the decision was due to a process error rather than a lack of involvement with the club's academy since he signed up.

"We're disappointed. The AFL has explained to us that it's a registration issue. It's not anything that we've done or done wrong or how long the player's spent with us," Campbell said.

"He's a unique circumstance in that he was asked a couple of times when he was 14 or 15 to come to the academy, but he was concentrating on cricket so he didn't.

"He decided to have a crack at it this year so registered with us, had a crack at it, played a game in the NEAFL and we developed a development plan for him and did all the things the AFL advised us to do. But there was an issue with the way he was registered, and that's what they've ruled on."

Campbell declined to go into details on the registration problem, saying "it's probably not up to us to explain that in trying to protect Todd and his family".
The message here is that it is purely about paperwork...and if I am reading between the lines correctly, a hint that it is on the player's side, not GWS side.
He said he didn't know whether the decision was a reaction to the recent anger directed at the Giants' academy zone, but that the club had asked whether each academy registration form had been probed as thoroughly as Marshall's.

"It's a point we made. There seems to have been some investigation into this one but we asked the question whether there had been as equal investigation into the other ones," he said.

"I think the response was that they hadn't.
The AFL is now looking for reasons GWS should be stripped of academy players, likely in response to the agitation by Eddie and co.

In a note to club officials circulated on Wednesday, the AFL said "the decision by the AFL for Marshall to enter the draft was made in consultation with his family, and taking into consideration the individual circumstances surrounding his process of registration".
The AFL has announced they made the decision in consultation with his family...but not in consultation with GWS. By the time GWS came in to give their case, the AFL decision was already made.

"This is absolutely a unique case, but the thing that we're interested in is where this leads to. The Giants have complied with everything. You just hope this doesn't open up avenues for other players to do the same."
GWS are now worried this would open up avenues for other players to do the same.

Seems like this was initiated by the player / his family, they contacted the AFL, and the decision was made.

Clear what the AFL's rationale is here. They want a competitive GWS, but not a dominant GWS, and they certainly do not want an enraged Melbourne base. Eddie's grandstanding is crude but effective.

Wondering what is the rationale of Marshall / his family. An attack of guilt over the unfairness of the draft concessions / lack of engagement with academy seems unlikely. If he wanted to go to GWS, he would. Not keen to go to Sydney?

Understandable that GWS are concerned about other players trying to do the same. They have invested a bunch of money into the academy, giving free coaching to young footballers, and they see a precedent that this decision could be used by other players to also avoid their academy ties to GWS.

Seems like this was initiated by the player / his family, they contacted the AFL, and the decision was made.

Wondering what is the rationale of Marshall / his family. An attack of guilt over the unfairness of the draft concessions / lack of engagement with academy seems unlikely. If he wanted to go to GWS, he would. Not keen to go to Sydney?

I read it as the AFL made this decision and then informed the player and his family. They didn't so much as "consult" but "informed" them as to what was going to happen.

This guys is a unique case. Obviously we didn't 'dot every I and cross every t' in order to get him, and becuase he is already a well travelled young man the family is fine with him going into the National Draft.

I'm okay with that. You win some you lose some.

My goodness, that article is not garbage. It's frickin' hilarious! I'm going to print it out and post it in the lunch room at work so everyone can have a laugh.

What a CRY BABY! Paul Gough, hang your head in shame. You've created a piece to rival the "Leave brittney ALONE!" videos.

leave-britney-alone-o.gif

Not garbage, absolutely spot on!

Expect the anti GWS crowd to become really angry if you have finals success this year and particularly after the draft where you will dominate again.

Eddie will get Gil to make changes and being a puppet he will do what Eddie tells him to do. Goodbye Riverina, get to work in western Sydney!

Clearly, there is one - and only one - solution.

If GWS can turn a historically shitty area into a footballing nursery that produces more top 30 players than South Australia, then extreme measures need to be taken.

We need to take junior football development off those incompetents at the SANFL and give it to GWS.

There's precedent for this - Port Adelaide are very happy with their GWS Academy graduates, and are hoping for more. Im sure we'd get support from Alberton for this.

More quality footballers is good for the AFL, and thats what GWS' superior method and structures produce.

GWS not only can, but *must* rescue the development of young footballers in South Australia.

The good of the game relies on it.

A well thought out article for the most part
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...aldSun&utm_medium=Twitter#load-story-comments

AFL blog: Clubs must stop bashing the expansion teams writes Andrew HamiltonMay 13, 2016 12:19pm

Andrew HamiltonThe Courier-Mail

Jobe Watson will play on

LEIGH Matthews wants to scrap a team. Rodney Eade wants to bring back the sub.

A couple of former Hawthorn teammates waded into some big picture stuff this week.

In fairness to Matthews, he never said he believed the AFL would merge the Suns and Lions, he merely reiterated his long term view that south east Queensland could not support two teams.

Matthews tapped into what has become a competition-wide resentment of the Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants.

BLOG LIVE WITH ANDREW HAMILTON FROM 1PM (AEST)

Too much money and talent is steered their way according to the rest of the competition.

Other Stories

Panthers on the prowl for Broncos prop

Baden-Clay ruling a win for Allison

Tough new laws ‘stopping Qld grow’

But, the facts are the start-up concessions handed to the Suns and GWS, while generous, have not hurt the rest of the competition that badly.

Theoretically West Coast, who won the wooden spoon in 2010, should have suffered the most from the Suns’ inclusion.

In any other year they would have had the No.1 draft pick but instead it slid to four as the Suns were handed the first three selections.

Yet they played in last year’s grand final.

Port, Adelaide, the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne finished around the bottom of the ladder in the two years GWS dominated the draft.

Leigh Matthews.Gary Ablett.

All bar the Demons have been in the finals in the past couple of years and Paul Roos’ men are a very real chance of making it this year.

I’d argue poor drafting by the sides that have suffered, especially the Brisbane Lions, contributed more to their woes than the so-called talent drain to expansion.

"" style="box-sizing: inherit; border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;">

Then there is the money being spent.

Fans of the poor clubs are angry at the amount of money the AFL has pumped into the two expansion clubs.

Those figures are a closely guarded secret but the general figure is well over $100 million each — which probably means it’s actually a hell of a lot more than that.

The Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne — who were given first option to relocate to the Gold Coast — and St Kilda have been perennial battlers.

Money wasn’t taken from them to expand. The pot of available AFL cash actually got bigger because the TV deal almost doubled in size because of expansion.

Meanwhile, to Eade’s calls for a return to the sub rule. It was almost universally hated — until you lost a player to serious injury.

No one wants to see a return to the rule under its old guise where it became a tactical tool.

But the Suns have finished a man down in three of their last four games. Last week it was two.

Eade’s suggestion is to bring back the sub rule but make it conditional on the player who is subbed out being unavailable to play the next week.

I think it has merit.

Eh, good ol' Hammo massively playing down the impact the GC and GWS introduction had on Brisbane of course. Mentions West Coast, Port, Adelaide, the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne... but not the club that actually had the worst results in the two years the clubs were introduced and hence missed out on picks 4, 3 and 5, other than to hand wave over some "poor drafting".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giants lose priority access to big Bushranger
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-11/giants-lose-priority-access-to-murray-bushranger

Few interesting quotes here.

The message here is that it is purely about paperwork...and if I am reading between the lines correctly, a hint that it is on the player's side, not GWS side.

The AFL is now looking for reasons GWS should be stripped of academy players, likely in response to the agitation by Eddie and co.

The AFL has announced they made the decision in consultation with his family...but not in consultation with GWS. By the time GWS came in to give their case, the AFL decision was already made.

GWS are now worried this would open up avenues for other players to do the same.

Clear what the AFL's rationale is here. They want a competitive GWS, but not a dominant GWS, and they certainly do not want an enraged Melbourne base. Eddie's grandstanding is crude but effective.

Understandable that GWS are concerned about other players trying to do the same. They have invested a bunch of money into the academy, giving free coaching to young footballers, and they see a precedent that this decision could be used by other players to also avoid their academy ties to GWS.

The Marshall scenario just highlights how blindly reactionary this whole debate is. Look at any articles on the academies prior to last weekend, and all the names mentioned are MacCreadie, Setterfield, Mutch. Marshall comes from nowhere to kick 4 goals in an aus championships game and all of a sudden he's "potentially the best KPF prospect in the draft" and the face of the whole academies debate.

Apart from the father son of Tom Hawkins and Luke Breust - the rest all retired some time ago after being drafted a long time before that.

Nobody has EVER said the Riverina doesn't produce great players.

But I'll repeat myself until I'm blue in the face...

HOW MANY AND HOW OFTEN?

120 yeas of footy and they can name 14.

Of course there are more (mostly journeymen) but come on...

6 in one year?

Apart from the father son of Tom Hawkins and Luke Breust - the rest all retired some time ago after being drafted a long time before that.

Nobody has EVER said the Riverina doesn't produce great players.

But I'll repeat myself until I'm blue in the face...

HOW MANY AND HOW OFTEN?

120 yeas of footy and they can name 14.

Of course there are more (mostly journeymen) but come on...

6 in one year?

Can GWS sue for fraud?

First of all Ungaire is not Riverina, it is the Central West Region, and one may as well call Broken Hill the Riverina, what a joke!!! So the Danihers cannot be included

Secondly, I like someone to check this, Crawford, Longmire, Hawkins, Carey(SA), Barry, Toohey, Longmire did not come from the Riverina area. Fact!!!!

According to this to the maps they came from the NSW Murray area not Riverina at all while Carey was plucked from Adelaide as everybody knows!!!

Why are some in the media seemingly trying to perpetuate slander?

What are the interests of some trying to misinform readers?

Why did they not get Taylor Walker from Broken Hill while they are at it and they do not seem to know their history very well either!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back