Review The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Round 11 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

An idea I am pretty sure other boards do, worth looking at our preseason with us now on the countdown to round 1.

Simple concept. Name something for each category.

The Good - Zac Guth and Parfit
Reckon we have found a couple of players here, both have one of the things that can't be taught... composure.

The Bad - Zac Smith - reckon he has been passed as our number 1 ruckman, very lacklustre pre season.

The Ugly- over handballing... not much explanation needed, feels we were handballing purely for the sake of it for large parts of our games

Last edited:
The Ugly- over handballing... not much explanation needed, feels we were handballing purely for the sake of it for large parts of our games
It isn't a three game concept. It happened a lot last year too so It's obviously part of our game plan. When we're direct we're rarely beaten.

It's not rocket science.

An idea I am pretty sure other boards do, worth looking at our preseason with us now on the countdown to round 1.

Reckon we have found a couple of players here, both have one of the things that can't be taught... composure.

The Bad - Zac Smith - reckon he has been passed as our number 1 ruckman, very lacklustre pre season.

We were best when we were handballing. We need to do it more. Just be more precise.

Bad: We tend to drift in and out of matches which I don't like its kinda been a pattern under Scott's coaching, it's very frustrating.
Good: When we go on our bursts we can put teams to the sword.
Ugly: kicking backwards to move forward when we can just move it quick and direct. That's a soccer tactic that shouldn't belong in AFL.

It isn't a three game concept. It happened a lot last year too so It's obviously part of our game plan. When we're direct we're rarely beaten.

It's not rocket science.
Well I did have it down as Ugly :D

Good - Zachs (T and G), GHS, Thurlow's successful comeback

Bad - Smith, Cowan and Stewart (compared with hype)

Ugly - continued slow ball movement for the majority of matches, anything else pales in comparison to that.

The bad- teams getting a run on that we can't stop. Bews being a VFL player again this year.

The good- Stanley becoming the number one ruck. When he's on, he's very good. GHS, could he? I believe.

The good: Tuohy averaging close to 30 disposals every week and looking like he fits straight away looks like a good get, Z Guthrie and Parfitt showing real signs as young players. GHS and Murdoch playing some decent footy to indicate they might not spend the next 2 years of their contracts rotting in the vfl. Stanley has been good in bursts in the ruck. No injuries. Thurlow and Menzel getting through unscathed. McCarthy looks very good again.

The bad: Zac Smith looking like he has had a flat JLT, Stanley has been good in the ruck but it doesn't solve a problem for us the team needs him to grasp CHF more than the ruck. Motlop looks fitter but still looks like he is playing in third gear. Lonergan kicking the ball in the back half. Ruggles bran fades. Bews being left in the vfl.

The ugly: our inconsistency again. Woeful delivery into the forward line and lack of leading from the forwards. Should have been fixed over summer

Good: Duncan! Looks like this could be the year. 2E. Zuthrie, GHS, 3 games into Parfitt. Murdoch might be an asset if played in his correct position.
The Bad: Stanley so inconsistent, Team can't play four quarters, relying on Dangerwood again.
Ugly: Zac Smith, Just terrible. Cowan. McCarthy, Motlop
Knowing Blitz will play every game this year.

Liking what I'm seeing from Parfitt, looks very composed for a kid his age, possibly not round one (though he's a chance) but will definitely play senior footy this year you'd reckon.
Liked Murdoch's game, would be ahead of Lang, Cowan and McCarthy for a round one spot, if they play him as a forward he just may give us something for all the patience we've shown in him.

Need to see a lot more from Lang before I'm convinced he's a decent player, Smith also very disappointing.

Cowan not AFL standard I'm afraid, same with Stewart, need quite a few injuries for either of them to get a game.

Ugly:

I'm not touching that. ;)

Good: Duncan! Looks like this could be the year. 2E. Zuthrie, GHS, 3 games into Parfitt. Murdoch might be an asset if played in his correct position.
The Bad: Stanley so inconsistent, Team can't play four quarters, relying on Dangerwood again.
Ugly: Zac Smith, Just terrible. Cowan. McCarthy, Motlop
Jeez that seems harsh to me on Linc... didn't play game 1, off somewhat early game 2 and i thought he went well yesterday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez that seems harsh to me on Linc... didn't play game 1, off somewhat early game 2 and i thought he went well yesterday
Might be harsh. But a quality small forward is now one of the most important positions on the ground.
I know he's had a terrible run with injuries but we delisted Stevie J in our flag window. He needs to be snagging 2 goals a game.
Essendon had run out of petrol in the last half yesterday, was a great chance for him to kick 2 or 3 goals.
If he was a different player most wouldn't want him in the team Rnd 1.

McCarthy is just an average player. Not goal hungry, lacks speed for a forward pocket and doesn't find enough of the pill. Two sensational tackles a game don't make up for it.
It's strange but I noticed Parfitt was actually getting into more dangerous spots in the forward line yesterday.
He hasn't even played a senior game yet.

McCarthy is just an average player. Not goal hungry, lacks speed for a forward pocket and doesn't find enough of the pill. Two sensational tackles a game don't make up for it.

I'd say he has excellent hands for a player his size and is very rooke like when it comes to putting his body on the line.
Rooke was very average too but geez he was important.

I'd say he has excellent hands for a player his size and is very rooke like when it comes to putting his body on the line.
Rooke was very average too but geez he was important.

giphy.gif

The overhandballing is a product of us not being able to execute well in contested situations. Its why we have a perceived lack of depth its not we don't have players its that under finals like pressure these guys can't execute our plan like danger or selwood in close. Its like watching a hot potatoe everyone knows Geelong wants to release quickly by hand so stoppages are also set up to stop that and when you are concentrating specifically on 1-2 players to generate most of clean possessions its tough.

And when we get into trouble we end up over hand-balling and we want to kick the ball get it forward but to do that effectively you need to work to get a clean possession. Otherwise we get a rush kick forward ala Sydney final we know how that works.

Blocks, tackles, Shepherd's, work as a unit where everyone is an option not just trying to get danger free and if he grabs it clean takes off great if not we struggle to lock the ball in. Which with a slower midfield is crucial. It's just repeated defensive work at stoppages as we can't change Chris Scotts gameplan in round 1 so we need to work out which guys can execute it

Lol
He was though. Wasn't quick, didn't get much of the ball or kick many goals but he was vital up forward for several years.
Several years? He moved to the forward line in the finals of 2007 after missing most of the year injured. Before that he was a tagger/defender. He only played one game after the 2009 gf. Is your definition of several years in fact two years plus a handful of games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back