The Goodbye Gil Thread - Who next? Legacy? Criticisms?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFTER a 12 month notice period, we're into the final week of Gillon McLaughlin's tenure as AFL CEO.
Initially due to end post 2022 AFL season, Gil's tenure was extended due to, primarily, the Hawthorn racism allegation as well as the Tasmanian side's licence.

The pressing matter is who will replace him? There have been surprisngly few leaks. The usual names have been linked, but Travis Auld and Andrew Dillon are expected to be the two fighting it out with Brendan Gale the dark horse.

I am surprised there hasn't been greater transparency about it. The whole mid season resignation to me is strange in itself, why not see through another six months?

Either way. How do we rate his legacy?

Richard Nixon Corruption GIF by GIPHY News
sepp blatter money GIF

Game is now more destabilised; we expect things to change with no notice, planning or testing, teams/people to be hammered for not toeing the party line and/or being in the right place at the right time, and transparency is long gone.

I hope it is a footy person like Benny Gale. But it is likely to be another member of the Boy's club. I follow the AFL as sporting competition, but the AFL itself really annoys me. Overall I see Gil as creating a likely corrupt, or close to corrupt organisation that could well do the goose that lays the golden eggs a fair bit of harm.

Wasn't as bad as Vlad is about the kindest thing you could say about Gil and his legacy.
Is/was he better? Sure, not as abrasive and combative as Vlad. His is a more smarmy approach- dumb smirk while sweeping all the dirt under the rug.

I don’t think the game is better under his watch. Certainly not for us fans which apparently was his main focus when he first took over. Remember cheap pies - I think that lasted about 2 weeks??

I think the AFL is corrupt. For a NFP, where does all the money go apart from paying wages and bonuses to Gil and his cronies? It really needs an overhaul with the AFL commission having greater oversight

Is/was he better? Sure, not as abrasive and combative as Vlad. His is a more smarmy approach- dumb smirk while sweeping all the dirt under the rug.

I don’t think the game is better under his watch. Certainly not for us fans which apparently was his main focus when he first took over. Remember cheap pies - I think that lasted about 2 weeks??

I think the AFL is corrupt. For a NFP, where does all the money go apart from paying wages and bonuses to Gil and his cronies? It really needs an overhaul with the AFL commission having greater oversight

The handling of the expansion clubs Gold Coast and GWS is all on Gil and continues to be a massive financial and resource drain on the rest of the comp

(I have no issues of bringing those two expansion clubs in, but there should have been 5 years in between the introduction of the Giants and Suns, and the AFL lazily slopped together a team on the Gold Coast with the resources of a pub team and throught it could work straight away)

Game is now more destabilised; we expect things to change with no notice, planning or testing, teams/people to be hammered for not toeing the party line and/or being in the right place at the right time, and transparency is long gone.

I hope it is a footy person like Benny Gale. But it is likely to be another member of the Boy's club. I follow the AFL as sporting competition, but the AFL itself really annoys me. Overall I see Gil as creating a likely corrupt, or close to corrupt organisation that could well do the goose that lays the golden eggs a fair bit of harm.

Steve Hocking to be his successor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know a certain fanbase would become non existent if it did happen.
Hocking watching videos of Richmond while making rule changes should have been a scandal, in any non-corrupt regime it would have been.

Gil’s reign will not escape judgement for the online gambling third party payments though

Hocking watching videos of Richmond while making rule changes should have been a scandal, in any non-corrupt regime it would have been.

Gil’s reign will not escape judgement for the online gambling third party payments though

Yes' I am sure he was solely watching Richmond and not any of the other 17 clubs that make up the competition.

Get a copy of the Annual Report, its all there. Corrupt NO, rotten?

You are spot on about the Commission - it is a rubber stamp for the Admin, that being Melbourne centric acts in their own best interest, not the national game (imho).

The Commission is a rubber stamp for the Admin, that being Melbourne centric acts in their own best interest, not the national game (imho).
:rolleyesv1:

vinyl-records-record-collection.gif

Such bizarre timing to post this comment a few days before we have a whole weekend of footy played in Adelaide, with zero games played in the heartland.

How is "Gather Round" a Melbourne-centric initiative ?

How is adding 2 new resource-draining franchises in NSW and Queensland an example of a Melb-centric admin acting in their own best interest, and not the national game? How about the NSW and QLD academies ? How exactly do those serve the interests of the Melbourne-based clubs?

Aside from your never-ending Grand Final gripe... (Get over it. MCG is the home of football and will forever be the venue of choice for the GF) But how else do you figure the AFL has tilted things in favour of Melbourne-based clubs, as opposed to bending over backwards to accommodate the needs of non-Victorian clubs?

Last edited:
The Tribunal tonight provides no better example of failure under his leadership.

McKay; Carlton were allowed to show evidence from previous cases, which before tonight has been banned for all other cases. McKay gets off. I'm not fussed with the outcome, but the rules cannot be bent.

Lynch; direct quote from the AFL article: "That incident was graded as careless, severe impact and high contact, triggering a ban of at least three games". It went from a ban of at least 3 games, to no ban at all.

The lack of governance, consistency and leadership for the MRO and Tribunal is just one of many areas that he is leaving in a mess.

:rolleyesv1:

vinyl-records-record-collection.gif

Such bizarre timing to post this comment a few days before we have a whole weekend of footy played in Adelaide, with zero games played in the heartland.

How is Garther Round a Melbourne-centric initiative ?

How is adding 2 new resource-draining franchises in NSW and Queensland an example of a Melb-centric admin acting in their own best interest, and not the national game? How about the NSW and QLD academies ? How exactly do those serve the interests of the Melbourne-based clubs?

Aside from your never-ending Grand Final gripe... (Get over it. MCG is the home of football and will forever be the venue of choice for the GF) But how else do you figure the AFL has tilted things in favour of Melbourne-based clubs, as opposed to bending over backwards to accommodate the needs of non-Victorian clubs?

Failure to address travel, as if home & away is as it was 100 years ago.

The Tribunal tonight provides no better example of failure under his leadership.

McKay; Carlton were allowed to show evidence from previous cases, which before tonight has been banned for all other cases. McKay gets off. I'm not fussed with the outcome, but the rules cannot be bent.

Lynch; direct quote from the AFL article: "That incident was graded as careless, severe impact and high contact, triggering a ban of at least three games". It went from a ban of at least 3 games, to no ban at all.

The lack of governance, consistency and leadership for the MRO and Tribunal is just one of many areas that he is leaving in a mess.

That incidents are prejudged on varying criteria is sooo poor.

e.g. Broad got done for a few weeks for a sling tackle, and then each week there are a number of almost identical sling tackles. Broad's guy was hurt, but not through him doing anything different to the other sling tackles. So 4 weeks or nothing - that makes no sense to people watching or the players. And that is just one example of the many that are occurring each week.

This week players were picked up on normal footy incidents and got off. It is confusing and as a supporter really annoying.

Anyway, rant over. Gil runs the show and some things are a shambles under him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back