Mega Thread The Goodes, Eddie and Racism Megathread - media release post #845 Buckley interview post #1072

Remove this Banner Ad

If O'Brien and Krakouer don't feel they are able to take the field this weekend that is their prerogative. But make the stand on Wednesday or Thursday and draw your line in the sand. Why travel with the team, holding your decision over the club until the last moment, disrupting the preparation of the whole team.

It's best the club stands them down until further notice and until they are 100% sure they are in the right frame of mind to represent the Collingwood fc.
firstly i want to say that what eddie said was out of order , whatever punishment he gets is fine with me within reason.
secondly , if you dont want to represent our club, go find another club to represent. maybe a certain person wont use our club as his platform for further ambitions in his future. so sick of his rhetoric after abusing an opposition player just one week earlier. u want to find utopia, go get yourself an island.

I understood the question. But, to me, the question is flawed.

But yes, I agree that to someone who believes that homosexuality is a choice, then it is more okay to call them out for it than something else that was inherited.

To me, it's not about what you say, but what you meant by saying it.

Interesting, having read your post a second time, my stance on it isn't as strong. I'll have to sleep on this.

I dont know how you can have a flawed question. I've only heard of flawed answers. My personal opinion is the person copping the abuse shouldn't have to question what the abuser meant. They only have to evaluate how they feel about the abuse. This isnt a legal stoush. Its about how a person feels about being called a name. If the person doesn't like being called a particular name, then the person opening their mouths need to refrain.

On a related point, it was interesting yesterday how many people posted comments in which they called Harry or Eddie a muppet, a sook, a wookie, a this or a that..... as if it meant something. After I noted it the first time, I started laughing as I read new comments that contained new names.

Grown people calling people names when they want to make points in an argument. It made me laugh because its so childish.

Correct, Harry the same -

stop trying to be heroes and do what you are payed to do and play football.

Bunch of gutless pansy's

Posts allegations against payed (sp) footballers for being gutless pansy's (sp) ....on an internet forum under a fake name....lol... its got it all....bad spelling...irony...

Posts allegations against payed (sp) footballers for being gutless pansy's (sp) ....on an internet forum under a fake name....lol... its got it all....bad spelling...irony...

Internet-Warrior-500x400.jpg

What an absolute tosser he is. Using the events of the past few days to criticize Ed. Mick, you have a short memory when you called Milne a rapist. What you said was much much worse, especially when the poor bugger was not even charged with such thing. Seriously Mick, get off your high horse and die already. Absolute scum of a man, coaching a scum of a sporting club.

Asked if he thought McGuire was racist, Malthouse responded: "I would say, 'No', but at his own admission he said it was a racist comment."

Malthouse said he was "totally shocked" by the remarks.

"Eddie's not the victim, Eddie's not the victim in this," he said.

"Sometimes we need to walk in someone else's shoes and find out what it's really like.

"I've seen the ugly side, and we have got a long, long way to go.

"I do know that right through my football time that these things are not isolated.

"All that's happened, from my point of view, this week is a reinforcement that we're too tolerant of ignorance.

"The victim of this (is) Adam Goodes and what he represents."

GET STUFFED MICK AND HAVE A DISPLAY A BIT OF GRACE AND APPRECIATION FOR A BLOKE WHO GAVE YOU AN OPPORTUNITY TO BE PART OF HISTORY OF THE GREATEST AND BIGGEST SPORTING CLUB THIS COUNTRY HAS AND EVER WILL SEE. NOT TO MENTION THE HEALTHY PAY CHEQUES YOU RECEIVED OVER A 12 YEAR PERIOD.

I'm as big a Mick basher as the next bloke (like Special Ed I wasn't a fan while he was with us either), however there isn't really anything wrong with what he's said. He was asked a question and responded in an honest manner. MM is no saint, but neither does he deserve to be potted for having an opinion. That's how I see it anyway.

What Scodog said, all Mick has said here really is Ed is not the victim, and he's right. Perhaps he could've said Ed doesn't deserve extreme backlash he's received, but he didn't say he does deserve it either. Mick's always been vehemently supportive of indigenous players speaking up against racism, as he was when Rex Hunt made a slur against Leon Davis so I'd expect his response here. It's just that the whole Milne incident shows some hypocrisy about it.

I bet if the media asked Malthouse what the GWS president said about an issue like this, he'd say I don't give a stuff. None of my business. etc etc.

He hates McGuire with a passion and will kick the boots in any chance he gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol at Eddie. His whole demeanour + emotive song & dance at the game last week just stunk of grandstanding & opportunism. There was no way he was going to let that 13yo girl off the hook without getting some mileage out of it. Her's wouldn't be taken as a casual, off the cuff remark. She'd be hung out to dry by the club she supports. Ironically the great hypocrite then makes his own gaffe & tries to pass it off as a slip of the tongue or "exhaustion", or whatever, reminding us all of what stand up guy he's been over the years. Well, maybe the 13yo girl is a real sweetheart 99.9% of the time too. But Eddie wouldn't dismiss her comments as casually as he would have us dismiss his own.

Eddie probably hasn't got a racist bone in his body for all I know. But he's shown himself to be glib, patronising & arrogant in this instance. Thats the part of this saga that really stands out for me. And Harry O, why should he just keep his mouth shut? Why should he "dance" to protect Eddie. He puts his body on the line every week for supporters like Eddie, he's entitled to make his own views just as public as his president does.

Because over here...yes keep coming....in the real world if we twittered on a public forum about our bosses we would get sacked.

If O'Brien and Krakouer don't feel they are able to take the field this weekend that is their prerogative. But make the stand on Wednesday or Thursday and draw your line in the sand.

If a player was 95% fit come Wed/Thur it's often acceptable to wait up until gameday to name him in the squad. Why not wait to see if they are in the right head-space before they play tonight?

I would rather have them on-field and in the right frame of mind.... if they need a week to get back into the game then so be it.

Why say anthing at all?

Is he even relevant to the topic at all? He's not an ape or aboriginal or associated with triple m or collingwood.

Seriously just STFU Mr Senior Senile Citizen

He never STFU as he derailed our 2011 season, so why now?

Mind you, I don't really think he said a whole lot here - probably disappointed the interviewer who was no doubt hoping for a little more vitriol.

Mick will answer questions put to him when it suits him. He seems to pick and choose what he wants to answer, as we had seen in the years he was with us. The questions asked of him about what has happened are topical and worth responding to. He would know deep down that most of the football world would be cringing at him acting self-righteous due to his Milne comments (still love that) and other things in his past.

Mick loves the attention that his comments get. The articles will only pick that out though; no one gives a toss about his rabble of a team. It is laughable, really.

If a player was 95% fit come Wed/Thur it's often acceptable to wait up until gameday to name him in the squad. Why not wait to see if they are in the right head-space before they play tonight?

I would rather have them on-field and in the right frame of mind.... if they need a week to get back into the game then so be it.

This isn't a hard to evaluate injury, this is a moral/political decision.

I tend to think they're are grandstanding, but if they feel strongly enough about the point they are making then MAKE THE STAND. They should announce they're not available for selection on Wednesday. I could at least respect that they have the courage of their convictions.

I think we all think they are going to play, so why the veiled threat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back