Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah - but what about you - you must have posted at least 100 times throughout the season that Geel have to play slow tempo - otherwise they will get torched

Yet Wayne Carey - the King - said throughout the call - that the big change tonight - is that the Cats are moving the ball quickly
and I still believe if we keep playing fast and attacking it will end with defeat.
We are not good enough to do it, and would bet my bottom dollar if we played like we did tonight v Tigers or Pies for prolonged periods we'd lose.

We will still get torched playing fast by sides with elite pressure, Tigers fit that bill
If we do what we did tonight under their intense pressure then fair play.

One attempt to do so that succeeds doesn't disprove the view, it's the old one swallow and summer scenario.

I couldn’t see how our midfield could recover from the loss of Tim Kelly. Somehow I think it has improved. I was wrong.

Absolutely with you here. Still, those who saw Guth and Mena becoming the players they have been in 2020 (which, for me, is the key contributory cause here) should feel free to wantonly post of their wisdom in the 'I was right' thread.

I certainly cannot lay claim to being one of them.

Cam Guthrie and Sam Menegola, two of the best-performed mids in the AFL.

And to think I wanted Menegola omitted for Constable.

I was wrong.

I was happy to trade him at the end of last year, saying he would never be the two way runner we needed on the wing...

I couldn’t see how our midfield could recover from the loss of Tim Kelly. Somehow I think it has improved. I was wrong.

It could be like the Leigh Colbert situation all over again

When Colbert left - ( and i think he was captain ) it looked like the end of the world - however it was a god send - because Geel got Cam Mooney and a stack of draft picks

Same situation could happen with Kelly - if the picks turn to gold

Obviously it would be fantastic if Geel won the premiership this year - but it would be great for the opposition melts as well - Cats are premiers and they get all these new gun players come in etc

Thought it was a waste to give Simpson a game against Brisbane earlier in the year.
Was sceptical about him coming in against Cwood as well.

Happily to be wrong. Good at winning his own footy, and has a good feel for how to use the ball well and get himself in good positions to impact the game

Expecting Henderson to get a few mentions in here too.
Hendo's first two years with us were very, very good - but then something happened, I'm not sure exactly what. It was as though he lost his confidence in his ability to really fly at the ball.

Next year - assumedly with Harry Taylor retired - will be a big year for him, to hold the fort while the likes of Kreuger and De Koning are developing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hendo's first two years with us were very, very good - but then something happened, I'm not sure exactly what. It was as though he lost his confidence in his ability to really fly at the ball.

Next year - assumedly with Harry Taylor retired - will be a big year for him, to hold the fort while the likes of Kreuger and De Koning are developing.

Injury, mainly. He missed the first half of 2018 (his 3rd year with us) due to a knee injury which didn't allow him to run at all during the preseason. Played his first VFL match in June that year. Then he got a plantar fascia injury in round 3 last year which forced him to miss a few months. No continuity during those two years.

I was happy to trade him at the end of last year, saying he would never be the two way runner we needed on the wing...

I was on the same page until finals last year when his defensive running seemed much, much better. But his kicking still fell apart in big games and I didn't think he could perform with the consistency he has this year.

I'm 95% of the way to saying I was wrong on Menegola. I just want to see him really stand up in a final which has been one of the question marks over him. He was fairly clean against Port but didn't have a big impact while he had more impact against Collingwood but butchered it 2-3 times. He's been serviceable but I'd love to see him get coaches votes in a win on Saturday to really serve me up the humble pie.

Harry Taylor would be a total disaster and liability this year. Not starting but he has held his spot on merit

Clarke and Narkle would be best 22 by now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back