Analysis the Josh Treacy effect

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm noticing praise for Dave Hale across a couple of interviews which flies in the face of sentiments raised by some fellow posters. Sounds like he's well regarded.
I posted that article and I've been pretty vocal about Hale. Just to clarify, my concern (and assume plenty of others) is the forward line as a unit (ie a line coach role), not the individual player development (ie a development coach role). Apart from the atrocious goal kicking that is. I have nothing against Hale personally. I just don't accept 6 years of having s**t forward line coordination - seems a no brainer area we can improve with someone better qualified in the role.

I posted that article and I've been pretty vocal about Hale. Just to clarify, my concern (and assume plenty of others) is the forward line as a unit (ie a line coach role), not the individual player development (ie a development coach role). Apart from the atrocious goal kicking that is. I have nothing against Hale personally. I just don't accept 6 years of having sh*t forward line coordination - seems a no brainer area we can improve with someone better qualified in the role.
May well be true but you can’t absolve the other coaches of blame either. Poor Mid forward connection is 50% due to midfielders too. Who is coaching them?
Even the defensive coach is partly responsible for how the team as a unit operates offensively.

May well be true but you can’t absolve the other coaches of blame either. Poor Mid forward connection is 50% due to midfielders too. Who is coaching them?
Even the defensive coach is partly responsible for how the team as a unit operates offensively.
Yes but they are not responsible for forward line coordination (ie structure, patterns, positioning, teamwork etc) which was the specific aspect I mentioned in my post.

Or the head coach for that matter. The buck stops with him, but he also spent years as a forward coach at WC. He was successful at WC too, I wonder what the differences are and why he can't get it happening with us.

For the record, I actually think we've improved out of sight in that area since JLo arrived and particularly this year. It's just the accuracy that we need to get right that'll come but adding some classy, smart, natural forward players to that area of the ground will speed it all up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or the head coach for that matter. The buck stops with him, but he also spent years as a forward coach at WC. He was successful at WC too, I wonder what the differences are and why he can't get it happening with us.

For the record, I actually think we've improved out of sight in that area since JLo arrived and particularly this year. It's just the accuracy that we need to get right that'll come but adding some classy, smart, natural forward players to that area of the ground will speed it all up.

In the reverse ladder (goals counted as points & points counted as goals) we are top 4-

1623984146002.png

In the reverse ladder (goals counted as points & points counted as goals) we are top 4-

View attachment 1157788
Nah, mate, you're looking at the ladder from two rounds ago. The dogs destroyed us with behinds in Rd 12 and last week we even let the Suns kick way too many behinds on us (and compounded the loss by kicking slightly straighter). We'd be lucky if we're still in the top 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back