Scape Goat The Lid: Where is it at?

Is the lid off?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I did exactly the same - went to Crown afterwards. Thought I could get my head away from 'that' game and have a few drinks & play some blackjack, both of which I don't mind at all. It just so happened Crown had (since my last visit) decided to install little screens into the tables and were replaying the GF on most of them - arghhhhh!!!

I'm still waiting for the day a big expose headline comes out revealing how much extra the 3 umps were paid by the AFL to make Swans lose that flag.
Oh, and on that last point. I knew a guy who was an ump at the time, and he said that performance was acknowledged internally as a total mess and they had a big review etc. (it was acknowledged publically by the afl as well). But yeah, wouldn't surprise me if there was money involved. There was big money to be made on the dogs that day.

Oh, and on that last point. I knew a guy who was an ump at the time, and he said that performance was acknowledged internally as a total mess and they had a big review etc. (it was acknowledged publically by the afl as well). But yeah, wouldn't surprise me if there was money involved. There was big money to be made on the dogs that day.
I sat next to an SAFL ump that day and he was flabbergasted at some of the calls AND non calls being made.
Still get angry when I think of it 🤬

Last edited:

I've been fortunate enough to have been at all of our grand finals. 1996 to 2016.
1996 was disappointing in the sense that we had North on toast early in the third and if not for some poor delivery into the forward line could have broken them then. The experience of witnessing my team in a grand final however was something I thought I would never see so it wasn't all bad.
2005 GF day was the greatest day of my life without a doubt. There was me, my wife, my 14 y/o daughter, my sister and her hubby and all their kids in a standing room bay under the Great Southern Stand. When the final siren finally blew, we jumped up and down with delight for probably 15 minutes and singing the song "We are the Champions" for most of those 15 minutes. Went to Albert Park the following day to cheer all the boys on and it all still feels like it only happened yesterday.
2006 was obviously disappointing as to lose a GF by a single point is heart breaking but the fact that we beat them the year before made it bearable. To learn some years later that half the WC team were drug takers and were playing beyond what their bodies would have otherwise allowed them to do is sickening. There is no doubt that the 2006 premiership awarded to WC should be voided irrespective of whether we be deemed the true winner.
Along came 2012 and my wife and daughter joined me behind the Punt Rd goals on level 3 and we were ecstatic, then miserable and this went on most of the day until Malceski kicked that wonderful snap goal and we along with all the players knew we had won it. Oh, what a joyous feeling albeit not quite the same elation as 2005. Nothing will ever feel as good as the moment the siren went in 2005.
2014 was disappointing as we were clearly the best side during the year but then again Hawthorn had been the best side in 2012, so things even out.
2016 was the grand final loss that still burns deep in my gut. We were clearly the best side during that year and when the dogs turned out to be our opponents I was quite pleased as my two brothers and all of their kids barracked for the dogs. Even though I thought "they're going to be shattered on GF night" but at least they can enjoy the lead up to it. We were not only the best side all year but we were also the better side on the day. It is sometimes said "umpires don't make a difference to the result" but that was completely blown out of the water on this infamous day. Ok, the Melbourne media were all over the fairy tail of the dogs being in a GF. Their first since 1954. There's no doubt that the three &?+# who officiated that day were also caught up in the fairy tail as I cannot recall a game in all of my 50+ years of watching football that was so biased to one team. We actually went for a period of over 40 minutes of game time without receiving a single free kick. And there were plenty in that 40 minutes that should have been paid.
So here we are at 2022 and I could be there again. Who would I prefer our opponent to be if we are there purely from a crowd and umpires being swayed perspective. Certainly not Collingwood as the tribality of their supporters and the noise they would create can certainly be a factor. Melbourne with most of the MCC members baying for our blood could also be a factor. At the very moment, Geelong seem to have no weakness at all and would be the hardest team to beat so I hope someone knocks them out earlier. I suppose it's fair to say I would love to be playing Brisbane in the GF this year and a win will appease some of the hurt of 2016.
Fingers crossed.

Can relate to this well Bandicoot.

I've also been to all Bloods GFs available in my life.
1996 - heart-breaking indeed, but it was just so exciting to be involved amongst all the fanfare, going to the parade and cheering our legends, etc...finally!

2005 was just pure elation.. In my top 3 lifetime memories for sure. After all those years of being bagged at school for barracking them, almost seeing them fold in Sth Melb and watching all those ugly games & seasons , then ......... "HERE IT IS!!". Jumping up & down with my then GF (now wife) singing the song along with everyone around us over and over again with hugs everywhere...ahhh. I hung the flag we were waving that day (see below) on my roof for the rest of the year. Most of the Cowboys-adoring neighbourhood probably didn't have much idea what it was or why ;) . I saw Malcolm Blight at the local fish and chip shop the week after and congratulated him on the call. I told him you'll see my flag on my roof if you drive past (he was living in Palm Cove too then)..he had a laugh.

flag.JPG
A keepsake.. (Note the weathered look - flying on a roof for 3 months in the wet tropics!).

2006 was painful, but the memories of the year before saw me through.

2012 Such a great year. Had my first child .. and even better (jokes!) I'd seen Swans success of gathering #2 flag in person and partied on at that after-game gathering in the middle of the G. Hearing Sweet Disposition always being me back to this day & all those good vibes felt.

2014 Shite days. Just remember walking back from the G to the city with a mob of Swans with all with our heads hung low..there was just nothing to talk about, no positives. It was such a un-Swans like performance and something I never expected to see on the big stage.. was totally miserable. Day after I found my Dad had cancer just to top it off.

2016 AFL, MEDIA & UMPS ---> 🖕😬🖕

If (when) the opportunity for us arises again and even if you've only been to GF losses and if you're scared of going to have to be there for another, do it!!! The potential pain is worth the potential gain x100 !!

If (when) the opportunity for us arises again and even if you've only been to GF losses and if you're scared of going to have to be there for another, do it!!! The potential pain is worth the potential gain x100 !!
Definitely. I've also been lucky enough to attend all of them from 96 to 2016 and while the 4 losses were rough I'd gladly sit through them all again to experience the highs of 2005 and 2012.

As much as I loved 2005 and it was a massive relief there was something special about that 2012 grand final that I don't know if another game will ever live up to.

Lids on. We are on the tough side of the draw if we lose next week and risk going out in straight sets which would be a real disappointment given our home and away season.

Lid will be off if we beat Melbourne though as we will almost be morals to at least make the GF imo

Lid on. Both 2014 and 2016 I took off the lid and look what happened. Playing one week at a time.

Who do we all think is our biggest threat to play against in this finals series, assuming the 8 stays as it is.

Brisbane given what they did to us earlier in the season, or Richmond as an outside threat?
Still on. Let's get through the best game first

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, I have some advice, we can blow the lid right off….it will have absolutely no impact on what actually happens.

Lid has been off for a while. Just a quiet reminder that what we post here has no bearing on the results lol.

We’re two more 200+ pressure games from a flag. I really believe it’s that simple. Whether we do it or not is another matter but it’s in our hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back