Mega Thread The Mark Neeld Mega-Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No I am not wrong.

I'm not surprised Neeld got sacked either. Your club has a recent history of making utterly stupid decisions.

Your current list of players seriously lack courage, commitment and desire. That's something a coach cannot teach, and obviously so, seeing as you have made no progress WHATSOEVER in the past few years.
That'd be the most outstanding circular argument I've seen in a while - 'these things cannot be coached AS PROVEN by the fact the just-sacked coach didn't make any progress in them.' Or Mark Neeld is just s**t at that part of his job?

8cBWOFx.jpg

Feel sorry for him, as he has been fighting with one hand behind his back with the assistant coach cattle he has.

Hopefully he picks up another job somewhere else.

He did pick those assistants

B: . . . . . . . . .Frawley (24,111)
HB: Grimes (24,59) .McDonald (20,27)
C: .Toumpas (19,4) .Trengove (21,67)
HF: Howe (22,45) . .Dawes (25,75)
F: . . . . . . . . .Clark (25,97)
R: Jamar (29,132) . Viney (19,6) . . .Jones (25,145)

unseen: Barry (pick 5, mid) / Hogan (mini-draft, fwd) / Taggert (first pick 2011, mid)

ruck backup: Gawn (21,10) / Fitzpatrick (21,4)

future uncertain: Watts (22,61) / Sylvia (27,145)

Is this any worse than when Wallace finished up at Richmond in mid-2009?

B: .Newman (27,144) . McGuane (22,43). Rance (19,7)
HB: McMahon (26,141) .Tambling (22,84)
C: .Cotchin(20,8) . . Deledio (22,95)
HF: Jackson (23,58) . Schulz (24,71)
F: .Edwards(20,36) . .Morton (22,39) . Riewoldt (20,35)
R: .Simmonds (30,188) Tuck(27,102) . . Foley (23,81)

unseen: Vickery (pick 8, ruck)

ruck backup: Browne (18, 1) / Putt (20, untried)

finished: Richo, Bowden, Brown, Johnson, Coughlan, Pettifer

Of those, McMahon, Tambling, Schulz, Morton & Simmonds soon departed, Edwards & Jackson's long-term futures appeared iffy, Browne & Putt never amounted to anything, McGuane never developed any composure.

Melbourne's list just ain't that dire.

While I understand it was a collective failure at Melbourne, I am also of the opinion that Neeld is a very poor coach.

His departing wish is for another priority pick, he actually thinks that's the answer. This shows he blames the individual players for their lack of effort, assuming talent is what wins you games. It's a common western thinking bias attributing lack of effort to other people (mostly incorrectly!) especially when you think they're naturally talented.

Gary Lyon picked him right? He has the same type of negative effort-bias, no wonder they got along in the interviews.

The nail in the coffin for me was when he subbed Jack Watts during a humiliating defeat, even though there were worse players on the ground. I think he was subsequently dropped. Terrible coaching that wreaks of blaming individuals and reasoning that they are lacking effort and then punishing them according to said perception.

This guy just can't see the bigger picture.

Who Brian Royal?
Hes their midfield coach and where is the Demon's deficiency, in the midfield.

Brian Royal was contracted until the end of last year. Could have gotten rid of him if he wanted to, didn't.

Melbourne need a new board/administration. But they won't sack themselves so that won't be happening.

The chairman has gone and from what I've read all board positions are under review.

Peter Jackson may well turn out to be the best thing that's happened to Melbourne - he's been given a license to make whatever recommendations he sees fit and the power to ensure they are implemented. And he isn't tredding softly.

The club fell into the trap of accepting mediocrity on the basis that draft picks were the key to a resurgence but allowed a losing culture to fester - something that Neeld tried to change but just didn't have the ability/experience to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The relief is palpable, and you can't exactly blame him either.

It's a good decision for both parties, Neeld adds years back on to his life, and Melbourne get the chance (warranted or not is a different matter) to search for a better equipped coach.

No I am not wrong.

I'm not surprised Neeld got sacked either. Your club has a recent history of making utterly stupid decisions.

Your current list of players seriously lack courage, commitment and desire. That's something a coach cannot teach, and obviously so, seeing as you have made no progress WHATSOEVER in the past few years. Melbourne right now are nothing short of disgusting, and if you want to shift the blame on a single coach, when week in and week out you can see 95% of your fielded team playing like lethargic, lazy idiots, then you are fooling yourself.

I'm sorry, but it is true. Your proud club is made a joke of by its current 22 (with the exception of a few players) and it is painful to watch.
+1, noone knows if Neeld can coach because he wasn't given the opportunity. The sad thing about the list he inherited was even when they were trying they were pathetic. I am going to lol at the morons running that club when the side under the new coach cops the same poundings that Neeld had to endure and that multimillion dollar handout money has been for nothing. I suppose though we will all get punished as the AFL will just bail them out again.

Brian Royal was contracted until the end of last year. Could have gotten rid of him if he wanted to, didn't.

Fair point, duly noted.

Anyways hope you guys get back on track, having supported a club which has been in the hole before, hoping you guys get back up the ladder.

Note- When you do get back up the ladder, I will deny I ever said this. ;)

unseen: Barry (pick 5, mid) Taggert (first pick 2011, mid)

Barry was part of the Hogan and Dawes deal whilst Taggert was a late 30's pick after the recruitment of Clark...

Is this any worse than when Wallace finished up at Richmond in mid-2009?

Melbourne's list just ain't that dire.

From my perspective, the problem with richmond was they were just really bad at drafting (TERRY!), whereas Melbourne's problems are they're picking kids with great upside and potential, but for whatever reason they're just going nowhere.

I don't think Melbourne have to address their drafting (which richmond did do), they have to address how they're developing their players and arrest the losing culture.

I think Melbourne are finished tbh, someone should just put a bullet in them because they don't deserve to be in the AFL, and the AFL can't afford to carry then like they seem to expect.

First club in Melbourne means nothing when you tank for draft picks then can't even pay the fine so ask for a handout; when your basically insolvent, scapegoat the coach and then can't pay him out so ask for another AFL handout; when nobody goes to matches; and when prominent media personalities and "clubmen" undermine the club saying they want the side to lose so the coach will be sacked.

I wouldn't care much if they weren't in the AFL anymore after what they've dished up the last two years.

From my perspective, the problem with richmond was they were just really bad at drafting (TERRY!), whereas Melbourne's problems are they're picking kids with great upside and potential, but for whatever reason they're just going nowhere.

I don't think Melbourne have to address their drafting (which richmond did do), they have to address how they're developing their players and arrest the losing culture.

Agree with the gist of that, but our development had to have suffered from the lack of funding. Practically every club had Tambling pegged as a standout.

Even so, post tanking 2010-11, Bailey was 6-3-0 (67%) with teams older than the opposition, and 9-19-2 (33%) with younger teams. By comparison, Hardwick is 9-3-0 (75%) and 22-43-2 (35%). Sure, this is all with the benefit of hindsight, but there couldn't have been too much wrong with Melbourne's development under Bailey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back