Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want him. It would be such a bad look after he has insulted our club indirectly, to now turn around cap in hand and bid for him. IMO the slime can have him. No dickhead policy please.
Exactly as I was alluding to. Why have him after all that trouble? The player and manager made Freo look like dirt in the media. Primadonna behaviour. So we ll go back and beg him to come to us? No. It should be Kelly begging us. West coast will give up a fair bit for him. I’m backing our youth midfield and moving on from this

Don't want him. It would be such a bad look after he has insulted our club indirectly, to now turn around cap in hand and bid for him. IMO the slime can have him. No dickhead policy please.
Meh, Kersten was vocal about not wanting to go to Freo pre-draft. I'd be happy to not let my ego get in the way of exploring that possibility and approach things pragmatically if his management are reaching out to the club this year.

Kelly plays on the wing doesn't he? If Tucker does have a breakout year, how do we fit BHill/Langdon/Tucker/Kelly in? Carter, is he a half back flanker or a wing?

If he is an inside mid. Looking at 2020, Mundy will surely start to show his age... But, Cerra will have built his tank up a bit more by then, so Brayshaw/Cerra/Blakely/Fyfe/Walters possibly Banfield tagging a midfielder. Hmmm... Didn't we get Conca in to boost our midfield?

Plus who ever else I've forgotten about. Sure there is always an injury or two... Can we fit Kelly in - if we did, who plays for Peel?

Big salaries. Fyfe/BHill/SHill. Big salary demands if they play a big year, Blakely and Langdon. Future stars who will command a big salary, Brayshaw and Cerra. Kelly will want some serious coin if he has a big year, the midfield could start consuming too much of the salary cap.

Kelly plays on the wing doesn't he? If Tucker does have a breakout year, how do we fit BHill/Langdon/Tucker/Kelly in? Carter, is he a half back flanker or a wing?

If he is an inside mid. Looking at 2020, Mundy will surely start to show his age... But, Cerra will have built his tank up a bit more by then, so Brayshaw/Cerra/Blakely/Fyfe/Walters possibly Banfield tagging a midfielder. Hmmm... Didn't we get Conca in to boost our midfield?

Plus who ever else I've forgotten about. Sure there is always an injury or two... Can we fit Kelly in - if we did, who plays for Peel?

Big salaries. Fyfe/BHill/SHill. Big salary demands if they play a big year, Blakely and Langdon. Future stars who will command a big salary, Brayshaw and Cerra. Kelly will want some serious coin if he has a big year, the midfield could start consuming too much of the salary cap.
He does everything, I think he played inside and had the most clearances for the cats last weekend. He's a proven forward as well.

But yes, this discussion is definitely in the wrong thread.

Kelly is very much a stoppage player. Less BHill/Langdon. More Mundy/Fyfe.

Never understood the harsh criticism of Tabs, he was a really raw kid when Stan Magro first alerted us to him. He didn't follow any of the traditional pathways of representative football and wasn't part of an elite football system. However, he has all the physical attributes and outside of injuries has improved every year. I'll back him in all day, knowing that when it all comes together for him, s**t will get real and FFC will be a force to be reckoned with.

Not a chance I would swap him with Kelly, unless Tabs requested a trade...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like him and Hogan need extended time in the forward line together. Tabs led well to Hogan. They’re starting to get an understanding of each other.
McCarthy benefits from this significantly.

Tabs battled all day, seemed to be the only tall forward really winning his battles. Lobb was poor.

Interesting to note he leads out total marks and averages 2.5 contested marks across the 2 rounds. Fyfe is second with 2. Our delivery inside 50 really has to be better. Don’t ultilise his and McCarthy’s leads enough

One of our only players that gave any effort yesterday. Definitely deserves to keep his spot and have him miles ahead of Cox in my opinion.
Agree with this.

Also agree that Cox has more upside.. but at the moment it's Tabs over Cox for sure.
We All Know what Tabs can do. I am going to get bagged out for this. He reminds me of John Butcher at Port Adelaide. Similar strengths and weaknesses.

Tabs is a good chest and overhead marker and a hard worker. But he isn't the best set shot.

Cox on the other hand can play as a Forward and a defender. But if Cox does return, he plays in the backline.

We All Know what Tabs can do. I am going to get bagged out for this. He reminds me of John Butcher at Port Adelaide. Similar strengths and weaknesses.

Tabs is a good chest and overhead marker and a hard worker. But he isn't the best set shot.

Come on now. Tabs is not Tony Lockett but his set shot kicking is above average for AFL. Comparing him to John Butcher who was the worst kick for goal in the last 30 years is ridiculous.

Cox on the other hand can play as a Forward and a defender. But if Cox does return, he plays in the backline.
At 67% conversion rate he is very much in the top end of goal kicking accuracy - Josh Kennedy is around 64%. Brennan Cox is at the very poor end of the table at just under 46% conversion.

But I do understand where you are coming from, Cox is more versatile because he can go back as well. I think Cox will end up the better player in the long run but Tabs has him well covered as a forward at the moment.

At 67% conversion rate he is very much in the top end of goal kicking accuracy - Josh Kennedy is around 64%. Brennan Cox is at the very poor end of the table at just under 46% conversion.

But I do understand where you are coming from, Cox is more versatile because he can go back as well. I think Cox will end up the better player in the long run but Tabs has him well covered as a forward at the moment.

Fair assessment all round I reckon.

Come on now. Tabs is not Tony Lockett but his set shot kicking is above average for AFL. Comparing him to John Butcher who was the worst kick for goal in the last 30 years is ridiculous.
Scary thing is Tabs and Butcher have a similar height and weight. Both are 197cm and 90-95 Kg. Both were tall and skinny.

I was surprised to hear this. I assumed tabs accuracy at AFL level was around 50%. I knew he tore it up at WAFL level last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back