Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Scary thing is Tabs and Butcher have a similar height and weight. Both are 197cm and 90-95 Kg. Both were tall and skinny.
I was surprised to hear this. I assumed tabs accuracy at AFL level was around 50%. I knew he tore it up at WAFL level last season.
Think he gets on runs where he kicks really well and has cold patches. Had a bit of a cold patch at the end of last year which leaves us with less fond memories.

Think he gets on runs where he kicks really well and has cold patches. Had a bit of a cold patch at the end of last year which leaves us with less fond memories.

To be fair though, the whole club had a cold patch. I think it was something like two wins post round 13 - and if you include the round 13 win, 2/3 of those wins were against Carlton. Not exactly inspiring reading 😂

He continues to be under-rated even from our own fan base, disappointing. I'm a big fan of Tabs, he's a big boy now with elite running and endurance. Hoping he can outwork McGovern/Barrass into the ground.
Gov doesn't follow his man up the ground usually. That's why the sticky-mitted ****er is always standing on his own catching our kicks.

I like Tabs, I think he gets the best out of himself and that's all you can expect from anyone. At worst, he is great KPF depth and potentially a 40+ goal forward.

Gov doesn't follow his man up the ground usually. That's why the sticky-mitted ****er is always standing on his own catching our kicks.

I like Tabs, I think he gets the best out of himself and that's all you can expect from anyone. At worst, he is great KPF depth and potentially a 40+ goal forward.
Yeah agreed on Gov. I can never understand why the man that Gov *should* be covering is never sighted and his teammates can't find him. It does mean that Tabs will have a positive mismatch on the wing however.

Yeah agreed on Gov. I can never understand why the man that Gov *should* be covering is never sighted and his teammates can't find him. It does mean that Tabs will have a positive mismatch on the wing however.
West Coast don't care if you have possession on the wing if you can't bring it back inside though. Gov will be standing down the line waiting for you to bomb it to him.

Personally, I would instruct our players to kick it to grass inside F50 like Port used to. Its terrible to watch but better than watching Gov take 46 marks.

Personally, I would instruct our players to kick it to grass inside F50 like Port used to. Its terrible to watch but better than watching Gov take 46 marks.
Brisbane did this a number of times and/or tried to isolate and put it to the advantage of Charlie Cameron. Gave WC defence nightmares I'm sure.

Didn't get to see that game. I am not surprised it worked although I am not sure our team is in good enough form to execute. Especially F50 delivery.
I think it does show having a selection of different types of weapons can really make a big difference. Charlie Cameron is one of those players who can tear a game apart in a matter of minutes. Add that to Hipwood, McStay, McInerney, plus Raynor & McCluggage.

If he was anywhere near ready and it wasn't the intense scrutiny of a Derby as a place to make a debut, the idea of Sturt would be ideal.

I think it does show having a selection of different types of weapons can really make a big difference. Charlie Cameron is one of those players who can tear a game apart in a matter of minutes. Add that to Hipwood, McStay, McInerney, plus Raynor & McCluggage.

If he was anywhere near ready and it wasn't the intense scrutiny of a Derby as a place to make a debut, the idea of Sturt would be ideal.

We just need someone with pace to burn. Ridiculous pace, ala Cameron or even dare I say it Stephenson / Petrucelle. Switta has some pace. But not quite as quick as the others.

Charlie Cameron is a very very good footy player!
Only one in our forward line of that ilk is Jesse Hogan, albeit a bit taller

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kick it to Tabs in an undersized contest on the wing have hill or Langdon run past to collect the handball then bomb it over Govs head to the ‘pond’

this will make the derby interesting. We are expected to struggle in the midfield. You think Naturally McGovern will man up on either Lobb or Hogan.

I can see Tabs get another 15 or so disposals in the derby, half of them on the wing.

Tell the players to hit up McGovern and they will probably miss him so maybe we can have a chance. I like the idea of a marking duel with tabs running with him, could be epic.

West Coast don't care if you have possession on the wing if you can't bring it back inside though. Gov will be standing down the line waiting for you to bomb it to him.

I wanna see how McGovern goes one on one with Lobb or Tabs.

Again, I don't care if Tabs and Lobb get ganged up, If that means Cam McCarthy kicks 4-5 goals like against North in round 1, then I am for it.

Brisbane did this a number of times and/or tried to isolate and put it to the advantage of Charlie Cameron. Gave WC defence nightmares I'm sure.
Closest we got to a Charlie Cameron type player is Michael Walters. Matera is the other small forward. Ballantyne is depth now.

He’s doing a good job in the contested area. Ranked 7th in contested marks at 8, averaging 2.7 a game. He’s on 22 marks at 7.3 per game.
Know what’s interesting.. intercepter McGovern is only on 23. Need to lower the eyes and try and find Tabs. Get him on McGovern. He never falls over in the pack, Tabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back