Opinion Josh Cowan - worth the wait?

Remove this Banner Ad

Its more about what he's done for mine - added some hardness to the game for us in players named other than Selwood and PFD.

GO Catters

I'm sorry you don't win flags with players like Cowan in your team. I counted how many times he fell over near the ball today, and it was 15 times, and I didn't watch the entire game as I was watching the racing in between viewing. He would've fallen over 20 times near the ball. If there was a stat about how many times a player falls over near the ball this guy would get the crown season after season. I wouldn't renew his contract. Never rated him, never will. Have to be brutally honest. I'm sorry if this offends, but this guy must go.

I'm sorry you don't win flags with players like Cowan in your team. I counted how many times he fell over near the ball today, and it was 15 times, and I didn't watch the entire game as I was watching the racing in between viewing. He would've fallen over 20 times near the ball. If there was a stat about how many times a player falls over near the ball this guy would get the crown season after season. I wouldn't renew his contract. Never rated him, never will. Have to be brutally honest. I'm sorry if this offends, but this guy must go.

A few have to go ahead of Cowan. We had many non contributors tonight. Singling out the less experienced is the soft option.

At least he had a go, more than I can say for some others. But don't agree with your assessment, and you can't make an accurate one if you watching the game in between the racers. He's work rate, 1% and pressure are first rate and he always does the team things first. I suspect he is in the first dozen picked every week.

this is ridiculous, the guy has played 14 afl games not 50-100

plenty were much worse Caddy, Blicavs, Duncan and Motlop are the ones who should be winning games for us, Cowan was at least on par with those guys as bad as they all were

this is ridiculous, the guy has played 14 afl games not 50-100

plenty were much worse Caddy, Blicavs, Duncan and Motlop are the ones who should be winning games for us, Cowan was at least on par with those guys as bad as they all were
Trust me this guy is not good enough. I'm not trying to be controversial. If he can stand up in play, rather than fall over all the time, then maybe he might be an "ok" player, but he has a lot of work to do to build strength to keep himself from falling over a lot. I've never seen a player fall over as much as he does, ever. I've been watching this game for years and years, and never seen a player fall to the ground so often. Seriously, I can't. He has a lot of work to do to keep his feet on the ground, and just then, he might be an ok player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing for me is after the amount of years they've invested, he needs to be a much better player. He just isn't. Tries hard, it's not effort, but has no physical strength at all and doesn't hurt the opposition. And yeah, he falls over a lot. Still don't see what he offers that others couldn't do better.

Thing for me is after the amount of years they've invested, he needs to be a much better player. He just isn't. Tries hard, it's not effort, but has no physical strength at all and doesn't hurt the opposition. And yeah, he falls over a lot. Still don't see what he offers that others couldn't do better.
So basically you want a player who hasn't played for several years to play as though he has played for all that time. Seems reasonable.

So basically you want a player who hasn't played for several years to play as though he has played for all that time. Seems reasonable.

He should be judged like every other player. He's been on the list for seven years. There should be something pretty special to justify that.

Best thing is tonight there were plenty of others who were worse.

Trust me this guy is not good enough. I'm not trying to be controversial. If he can stand up in play, rather than fall over all the time, then maybe he might be an "ok" player, but he has a lot of work to do to build strength to keep himself from falling over a lot. I've never seen a player fall over as much as he does, ever. I've been watching this game for years and years, and never seen a player fall to the ground so often. Seriously, I can't. He has a lot of work to do to keep his feet on the ground, and just then, he might be an ok player.

He falls over a lot, but his footy smarts, intensity and skills are all there.

I'm not sure what the problem is but chronic injuries can't have helped, maybe after a decent year he'll be able to improve.

He certainly has the talent and has been a good role player for his first proper season.

With the number of retirements and delistings we should already have there is no reason not to keep Cowan around, it's not like we have a heap of outside players who can tackle.

Averages 15 possessions and 4.7 tackles a game thats pretty good for a 14 game player, would say behind guthrie would be our best defensive small this year. (has done better than bews, ruggles and kolo(playing as a small)

7 years on the list doesnt matter, he is still far more talented than our bottom tier players.

If he stagnates next year then fair enough, but he has shown enough to get another year.

That's a weak, s**t effort Partridge. For years you've been laying into him for not getting on the park. Then when he does and shows exactly why we stood by him you go strangely silent. First game we lose and once again you lay into him. There's not a player on our list with his mix of toughness, defensive smarts, cleanness with the ball, intelligent kicking and running ability. If his body sticks with him he'll be improved next year and be easily in our best 22. He made far less mistakes and did a bunch of better things than a heap of our more experienced players tonight. I just hope from here he gets a clean run because he'll reward the club.

Laying into our players at any time is a s**t effort. Laying into them when they've been injured most of their career and had no way to contribute like you've done with Cowan is particularly s**t. Refusing to recognise good form and then go back for another go when the team puts in a shocker just tops it off.

Any danger of him getting a remotely decent run with the umps? 3 free kicks against tonight were a rushed left foot kick that slewed off the side of the boot given deliberare, a legitimate marking attempt backing into his opponent given as a block and running too far after taking 14 steps (Zak Jones took 19 in our defensive 50 not long after).

That's a weak, s**t effort Partridge. For years you've been laying into him for not getting on the park. Then when he does and shows exactly why we stood by him you go strangely silent. First game we lose and once again you lay into him. There's not a player on our list with his mix of toughness, defensive smarts, cleanness with the ball, intelligent kicking and running ability. If his body sticks with him he'll be improved next year and be easily in our best 22. He made far less mistakes and did a bunch of better things than a heap of our more experienced players tonight. I just hope from here he gets a clean run because he'll reward the club.

Laying into our players at any time is a s**t effort. Laying into them when they've been injured most of their career and had no way to contribute like you've done with Cowan is particularly s**t. Refusing to recognise good form and then go back for another go when the team puts in a shocker just tops it off.
Of the players that weren't player tonight and if they were fit and well, I'd have them all ahead of Cowan: Gregson, Lang, Thurlow, Cockatoo, Parsons, Stewart (VFL), Smedts (yes even Smedts) and Murdoch (yes even Murdoch). Hopefully by the next preseason, I'm hoping that Cunico is fit, as he will be better than Cowan.

14 games from 6 seasons, averaging 13 possessions a game, yet falling over +15 times per game just doesn't cut it. I'm sorry to have a dig, but we must be honest with the club's interests.

Yes, there were a lot of poor performers tonight, and I'm not trying to single him out, but he's not the type of player you can win flags with.

He falls over a lot, but his footy smarts, intensity and skills are all there.

I'm not sure what the problem is but chronic injuries can't have helped, maybe after a decent year he'll be able to improve.

He certainly has the talent and has been a good role player for his first proper season.

With the number of retirements and delistings we should already have there is no reason not to keep Cowan around, it's not like we have a heap of outside players who can tackle.
Look, I don't mind giving him another year... I don't think we have much choice otherwise, but beyond that we need to be looking elsewhere. If we can build a team for a flag, no matter how good you are, you just can't have a weak-link.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back