General Bombers Talk The NEC Hangar

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm beginning to wonder where the club's focus is? For a team which hasn't won a final since 2004, they seem to have lots of lofty plans. Where is the hunger to win a premiership or even play finals footy?

Is that how it works? Like, the players have to not put in premiership-level effort because we're expanding our HQ?

Interesting.

I'm beginning to wonder where the club's focus is? For a team which hasn't won a final since 2004, they seem to have lots of lofty plans. Where is the hunger to win a premiership or even play finals footy?
It's entirely possible there's a connect between having better facilities to enable a better football programme to facilitate success. Just maybe.

Whether it follows or not is another matter, but we sure as hell weren't going to get anywhere if we stayed at Windy Hill (serious flea pit material) and in any case, the HPC as it was in 2013 will be getting outdated facilities wise by 2023 if it's just not touched at all.

We should spend the money lobbying the state govt for a train station on that airport rail link they keep talking about. Having the transport infrastructure in place to play scrub tier teams in Tulla would be pretty cool

We should build a 40,000 seater there so that we can play interstate teams. And other clubs can too. Interstate teams can fly in fly out no worries. Has advantages for everybody. The swans and gws could probably just come down for the day.

or everyone could save millions of dollars and just use the current arrangement
Yes, but not everyone does. I don't like that footy is an arms race but, well, it sort of is.

If a club decides to just stick with the same, chances are they will be way behind everyone else before too long and sooner or later, that will probably start to affect their chances of success.

I was responding to the above two posts that reference playing actual AFL football there. I think that goes quite beyond the arms race of training buildings
Prime example of why replying is important.

Like a moth to a flame...

I was responding to the above two posts that reference playing actual AFL football there. I think that goes quite beyond the arms race of training buildings
In that case yes I'd agree. Couldn't see it happening regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See all this is perfectly logical, and you've saved yourself the hassle of hitting the reply button
Except you have to click on the text box anyway, so all hitting the reply button does is make it more obvious who you're talking to.

If it was another source of income that could then be funnelled into the club to progress I wouldn't be against games being played there. Beats gambling revenue.

Not that I think its too much of a chance, but playing games there isn't a bad idea per se.

Few more details here, 1500 square metres of land, a bunch of ideas what they might use it for... and apparently to be built and running within 5 years.

Sam McClure said:
Behind "the hangar" is 1500 square metres of vacant land, currently leased by Melbourne Airport, that the club can take over at any time.

While a final decision is yet to be made, the club is likely to build a recreation or community centre, which could include a commercial gymnasium or a medical centre for local residents.

In a further expansion of the club's current headquarters across the road (Melrose Drive), the Bombers plan to build a new facility to house the VFL team, the club's next generation academy and a potential AFLW team

[...]

"The landscape has changed with sponsors, they want to see a tangible return on investments," Campbell told Fairfax Media.

"We've worked really hard to generate return on investment through retail and commercial channels.

"Despite the challenging period they've played such an important part in supporting us during that time and as a football club we're incredibly grateful."

[...]

The club hopes to have the new developments built and running by the end of 2021.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...it-announces-new-sponsor-20170524-gwc3ik.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back