The off topic thread 3.0

What would you like the thread titled?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming from a low income area in Adelaide (Elizabeth), lack of education absolutely comes into play here. You talk to people about issues like this where I'm from and the lack of knowledge they have compared to people in other areas where they're more likely to have a higher education is astounding.
There is an incredibly high correlation between education level and the adoption & acceptance of atheist/secular and liberal ideals, revolving around the development of critical thinking skills. Income level and education level have long proven to be highly correlated.

Last edited:

Thoughts? Best to use spoiler tags haha.

Very, but not completely, satisfied. Still plenty that I would change.

Just some initial thoughts here.

The movie contains hope. Thank *. There's character that I can finally resonate with from comics that I've been reading since I was 5. Finally I can recognise them.

The depth has been dialed way back, to make a 'popcorn film' that is self contained, funny, and that people can enjoy on its own. These is a different direction from the BvS/MoS films that were very deep and too dark for many.

A dose of Marvel has been sprinkled over DC. Not saying it's a bad thing, but this a safer route after the panning these films received in 2016. Wonder Woman remains the best by far of this series, but Justice League delivers overall.

My expectations have been considerably low for sometime (I've been hurt too many times to do it again :() but I've walked out relatively happy.

Still a long list of questions. Centering on Bruce. There's still very little context about him, which is what I'm craving if The Batman goes ahead. He's an excellent Batman, the brawler that I've been nerding out for.

He's dialed back the campaignerishness (if that's a word) and is hell bent on making amends.

Steppenwolf was a good villain and not as bad as some reviews have made him out to be (some sloppy motion capture at times make him look like a video game character at times).

Action set pieces are very good, none better than the Amazons v Steppenwolf. Brilliant scene.

Clark finally smiles. And not that brooding/scowl look that he did for 2 films. He's finally got some charm. Flash is funny but there's plenty of 'trying too hard' comedy that comes off a bit corny at times.

But overall, significant improvement on the previous movies (WW aside) and I'm meant to go back to work tomorrow but * that, I'll be seeing this again.

TL;DR: Glen is relatively happy. 7.5/10.

Speaking of not spoiling movies, that reminds me of the time Homer Simpson spoiled Star Wars. You’ll never believe where I first heard that Star Wars twist. Yep, The Simpsons.
Lol wut.

All I will say is that when Superman appeared he saw that Trump was president; watched Suicide Squad; and was then told that Wenger has been extended for 2 more years. He thus said "I don't want to be alive anymore".
Awwwww....goddamn you glenferry23. I was sure he'd see that we qualified for the WC, say "Hmm...rank outsider to win the WC, at 1000/1? Better get a tenner on that one", and stick around.

Speaking of not spoiling movies, that reminds me of the time Homer Simpson spoiled Star Wars. You’ll never believe where I first heard that Star Wars twist. Yep, The Simpsons.
Simpsons have a history of predicting s**t. Predicted the Trump presidency, 20 years beforehand, including getting the electoral map almost entirely correct.

simpsons-map.jpg

Awwwww....goddamn you glenferry23. I was sure he'd see that we qualified for the WC, say "Hmm...rank outsider to win the WC, at 1000/1? Better get a tenner on that one", and stick around.
1000/1? Where? The best I've seen is 300/1. Nations like Panama and Saudi Arabia are ranked that badly.

Even then, why does 1000/1 exist in a 7 game tournament? A league, yes, but not a 7 game tourney!

Simpsons have a history of predicting s**t. Predicted the Trump presidency, 20 years beforehand, including getting the electoral map almost entirely correct.

simpsons-map.jpg
Hate to break the magic, but that's 2012, and that's in support for Romley.

Besides, it's not like the election results look that different:

us-election-results.jpg
\
349px-ElectoralCollege2008.svg.png

And Back to the Future predicted Trump's presidency in 1991 in BttF2 (Biff is meant to be heavily inspired off Trump).

I am a late bloomer when it comes to Star Wars. Watched my first SW film about 2-3 years ago. I watched The Simpsons religiously in the 90s.
Surely it's a spoiler deep enough in pop culture you'd have seen it somewhere else first?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it's a spoiler deep enough in pop culture you'd have seen it somewhere else first?
Toy Story 2.

I had Super Star Wars, and found it weird that it started at Episode 4. I was also confused about the lack of Episodes 2 and 3 at the time as well when I heard about Episode 1.

In the early 1990s, the time of the episode, I was 9-10 years old. So definitely not. It’s a pretty big pop culture reference but I am certain The Simpsons was the first time I heard it as it was one of the only shows I watched at the time.

I didn’t mind FWIW.

Of course, but to jump straight to 'lack of education' doesn't sit too well with me. It's obviously just because I come from that area but I can think of a few other reasons that would impact on that vote.

Ultimately I can't confirm my theories without a further breakdown but it is what it is I guess.
Its a fact they're more uneducated, its why they vote Labor. This is probably why Labor didn't want a plebiscite as it has exposed their bases as homophobic.

Done with cricket as of today. Such a tedious sport to play. Weekends 100% free for the first time since 2013.
...whereas I'm the opposite, and just agreed to go away with my son and play in the country for a weekend.

I think you're the smart one. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

...whereas I'm the opposite, and just agreed to go away with my son and play in the country for a weekend.

I think you're the smart one. :drunk::drunk::drunk:
Ah, mate - that time spent with your son is so, so special. I have no doubt you'll enjoy it! Just make sure to have a substitute fielder at the ready.

Ah, mate - that time spent with your son is so, so special. I have no doubt you'll enjoy it! Just make sure to have a substitute fielder at the ready.
He didn't want to go originally, then he found out that all his teammates are going, along with half the dad's, so the club has hired a bus and is making a 'boys weekend' of it. 4x T20 games, camp out at the cricket ground, and probably the local pub for dinner.

Was looking forward to a weekend not umpiring!! ;)

I️ have stopped playing since moving to Brisbane 4 years ago except for January-march after initially moving up where I️ flew back most weekend to finish the season including finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back