• Milwaukee - I have faith in Doc Rivers

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • New York - it turns out Thibs was the hero NY needed

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • OKC - after stealing a franchise, stealing a title is nothing

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Minnesota - Winter is coming

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Phoenix - Luxury tax? What luxury tax?

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Clippers - The world needs a Harden vs Morey postscipt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lakers - Never bet against the whistle

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets make it 2-0 fellas.

Because we all know Port is going to let me down today...
Bookmarking a Port win for you Memphis, it's the only logical thing to take out of today.

The underdogs strike back.

Also, injuries are out of control. I swear it was never this big an issue 20-30 years ago. But sure, let's pack an in-season tournament into the overcrowded schedule, because quantity > quality, apparently.
In season tournament was months ago and was only 1 additional game for 2 teams? Not sure this is the reason for injuries now

In season tournament was months ago and was only 1 additional game for 2 teams? Not sure this is the reason for injuries now

It's not, but it ain't gonna help either.

It's just odd, because you'd think sports science would help alleviate injuries, but it's going the other way.

It's just odd, because you'd think sports science would help alleviate injuries, but it's going the other way.
Biggest load of hogwash . Just a way for nerds to be involved in sports

Players used to play 82 games, now we need to bribe players with award eligibility just to get to 65.

Biggest load of hogwash . Just a way for nerds to be involved in sports

Players used to play 82 games, now we need to bribe players with award eligibility just to get to 65.

Well yeah, the regular season, absolutely.

But the playoffs never used to see so many teams get decimated with injuries. I mean take for example the 90s Bulls - how many playoff games did Jordan or Pippen ever miss? And it wasn't just them - I can't even remember many role players ever missing time on those teams, over a period of eight straight years of deep playoff runs.

Whereas nowadays it's becoming notable for one or two teams to make it through the entire playoffs without injuries, just for one year, let alone six, seven, eight years in a row.

The Thunder this season have had a pretty good injury run, both regular season and playoffs. In the past nobody would have batted an eyelid, but now it kinda stands out.

Think the sport science stuff is more help manage players to increase longevity through careers rather than prevent injuries

You might be right, that may be the trade-off, career longevity, 2014 Spurs-style.

Whatever it is, load management is sure as hell not preventing injuries on a day to day basis.

Particularly odd for those averaging under 20 mins a game. Not sure about head coaches injuring their knees during games though!
Think the sport science stuff is more help manage players to increase longevity through careers rather than prevent injuries
Also helps with the rehab process from injury to ensure it doesn’t hopefully reoccur.

Looks the Suns have decided Bud is a good fit because he was a Suns fan growing up.
Bud will be a great coach for the Suns, I'll stand by it early. Provided the players buy in on the defensive schematics.

He'll let Booker/KD/Beal handle the half-court offense and "play random" but defensively should get them in better shape.

The biggest defect of Bud on the Bucks was our half-court offense but we never really had anyone besides Middleton who was good in that aspect, the reason we were successful was the pacing set by Giannis.

Bud will be a great coach for the Suns, I'll stand by it early. Provided the players buy in on the defensive schematics.

He'll let Booker/KD/Beal handle the half-court offense and "play random" but defensively should get them in better shape.

The biggest defect of Bud on the Bucks was our half-court offense but we never really had anyone besides Middleton who was good in that aspect, the reason we were successful was the pacing set by Giannis.

I remain a huge fan of Bud. But I think he is more of a traditional coaches coach (like coach Pop), he works best with a balanced roster and can up coach players to contribute above their talent level. Check out his 60 win roster https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2015.html

Suns have thrown too many darts at the 'needs more scorers' board and probably messed things up. Oh well either way wait and see how the cards fall in the off season.

Small market teams remaining - OKC, Minnesota.
Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well yeah, the regular season, absolutely.

But the playoffs never used to see so many teams get decimated with injuries. I mean take for example the 90s Bulls - how many playoff games did Jordan or Pippen ever miss? And it wasn't just them - I can't even remember many role players ever missing time on those teams, over a period of eight straight years of deep playoff runs.

Well no injuries is probably the reason they won all the Championships. You always need a little luck.

Anyway - Significant Injuries
98 - Longley missed 3. Pippen was also pretty injured for the Finals iirc.
97 - None
96 - Kukuc missed 3
91 to 93 - Nil

They also turned over their entire team outside MJ and Pippen between first and second three-peat.

Well no injuries is probably the reason they won all the Championships. You always need a little luck.

97 - None
96 - Kukuc missed 3
91 to 93 - Nil

They also turned over their entire team outside MJ and Pippen between first and second three-peat.
98 one always remember pippen with the bad back

This has not been discussed

Well said.

Small market teams remaining - OKC, Minnesota.

Oh boy, Shaq, some serious privilege coming through there. Saying re: small marketing team not getting fair calls 'you just need to play through it' (while he quit Orlando to win 'Chips with Kobe at the effin Lakers and had a dive to Miami). AND THEN, just casually dropping how he had a meeting directly with the NBA commissioner David Stern to complain about not getting enough fouls? I love Shaq but cmon

97 - None
96 - Kukuc missed 3
91 to 93 - Nil

You do need luck, and I'm not picking on the Bulls and saying they were extremely lucky. It's more just a general observation that teams in past eras seemed to be able to keep their players healthier in the playoffs more.

I just looked back quickly, to make sure I wasn't looking at it with rose coloured glasses. The Bulls for their first threepeat from 91-93 played 58 playoff games, and their 'big three' of Jordan, Pippen and Grant didn't miss a single game from injury. I wasn't looking as closely, but I don't think the supporting cast barely missed a game either.

1994 - Pippen, Grant, Armstrong and Kukoc didn't miss a single playoff game between them, 10/10.

1995 - Jordan, Pippen, Armstrong and Kukoc were all 10/10 availability.

1996 - Kukoc missed three games in the second round as you mentioned, everyone else was 18/18.

1997 - Nil as you said, everyone was 19/19, even the role players.

1998 - With the caveats you mentioned, everyone bar Longley was 21/21. Pippen was definitely in trouble in Game 6 of that series, can't recall if the injury pre-dated that, maybe Game 5.

So, in eight years Jordan was 126/126. Pippen was 136/136. Grant was 68/68, Rodman 58/58. I think Armstrong was perfect, Harper too. Kukoc was 75/78, ditto Longley. Even guys like Cartwright or Kerr, barely missed a game.

That's a staggering level of availability, by modern standards. Especially over eight years, and that many playoff series.

But it wasn't like the Bulls were an outlier either, like the Jazz's main guys famously never missed games. The Sonics, I can't remember Payton or Kemp ever missing. The Knicks I seem to remember missing more by suspension than injury, at least until Ewing got really old. Indy, I think Reggie Miller missed the first round in 1996, and that was it. Can't really recall Hakeem missing many playoff games. Even Shaq, who used to miss regular season games, didn't miss many playoff games, if any.

Anyway, I'll park my 'old man yells at clouds' soliloquy here, it's just I don't remember having so many teams dealing with injuries in the playoffs back in the day. I'm sure some happened that I'm forgetting about, but at least I know I'm not imagining the stats above now. I just hope we've seen the worst of the injury bug for this year, it sucks seeing so many teams with asterisks. Survival of the fittest is best when it's not taken literally.

Last edited:
Bookmarking a Port win for you Memphis, it's the only logical thing to take out of today.
Losing game 2 is a tradition for us.

Port win at the cattery for the first time in 15 years I love my teams...

Back