The Official Bigfooty NBA Week 5 Thread: Guys who aren't about that life need to stop acting like they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be audacious to lose a highly talented 22 year old when rebuilding

Keep the big4 and try find a sf in the draft or fa imo

You're not taking some things into consideration.

First, there's always an opportunity cost with the salary cap. Every dollar you give Sexton is one you can't use to fill out the roster elsewhere.

Second, to that end, the guys you want to max are Mobley and Garland, pretty clearly. Maxing three guys is really risky.

Third, Sexton is a 6'1 guard who is ball dominant, not a huge floor spacer and not a good defender. His fit with Garland is problematical. His style is really better suited to being a 6th man - so how much do you pay a 6th man?

Finally, the Cavs are proving they can win without him. It's not just this season either, he has been a constant net negative in Cleveland. Contrast this with Rubio for instance, who has had an immediate impact on winning. If you're Cleveland, would you rather re-sign Rubio for $12 mil, or Sexton for $25-30 mil?

First, there's always an opportunity cost with the salary cap. Every dollar you give Sexton is one you can't use to fill out the roster elsewhere.

Second, to that end, the guys you want to max are Mobley and Garland, pretty clearly. Maxing three guys is really risky.

Third, Sexton is a 6'1 guard who is ball dominant, not a huge floor spacer and not a good defender. His fit with Garland is problematical. His style is really better suited to being a 6th man - so how much do you pay a 6th man?

Finally, the Cavs are proving they can win without him. It's not just this season either, he has been a constant net negative in Cleveland. Contrast this with Rubio for instance, who has had an immediate impact on winning. If you're Cleveland, would you rather re-sign Rubio for $12 mil, or Sexton for $25-30 mil?
I'm hoping they trade Sexton this season, with the way Okoro is playing happy to package him up with him

This is the kind of reasoning that ended up with us having Wiggins on a massive deal that was difficult to move and needing to ship out LaVine.

This is the kind of reasoning that ended up with us having Wiggins on a massive deal that was difficult to move and needing to ship out LaVine.

Wiggins is a pretty good player imo...

Iirc the lavine trade didn't need to happen. Choose to get rid of him and pick7 which I thought was pretty dumb at the time.

I was high on kat wiggins lavine pick7

If I were cavs I'd rather overpay sexton and hope he reaches his potential which appears to be very high. Even if garland / sexton isn't the ideal pairing

I like the Cavs 'big4'.

Not sure on Okoro until he learns to shoot.

Rebuilding teams don't need to win now and it's looks pretty tough winning the east any time soon

If I were cavs I'd rather overpay sexton and hope he reaches his potential which appears to be very high. Even if garland / sexton isn't the ideal pairing

I like the Cavs 'big4'.

Rebuilding teams don't need to win now and it's looks pretty tough winning the east any time soon
I think Sexton has essentially reached his potential, he is a very strait line driver who mainly scores in the lane. His bball iq/vision just isnt there to be anything more + his handles arent the best for a guard his size

I think Sexton has essentially reached his potential, he is a very strait line driver who mainly scores in the lane. His bball iq/vision just isnt there to be anything more + his handles arent the best for a guard his size

Maybe but he is younger than pick nine last draft.

Wouldn't be shocked if he goes a level or 2 higher in the future

Wiggins is a pretty good player imo...

Iirc the lavine trade didn't need to happen. Choose to get rid of him and pick7 which I thought was pretty dumb at the time.

I was high on kat wiggins lavine pick7
You're missing the point. There is a salary cap. You can't just keep giving max contracts to "pretty good."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the Cavs 'big4'.

Let's come at this from a different angle. I'm going to give you three questions.

1. What do you think Sexton is worth?

2. What do you think he'll ask for?

3. Which teams specifically do you think would bid for him in an open market in 2022, and for how much?

Let's come at this from a different angle. I'm going to give you three questions.

1. What do you think Sexton is worth?

2. What do you think he'll ask for?

3. Which teams specifically do you think would bid for him in an open market in 2022, and for how much?

What are the chances it becomes a mistake letting him go like Lonzo and Jrue?

Ditto lavine as above

What are the chances it becomes a mistake letting him go like Lonzo and Jrue?

Ditto lavine as above

Lol.

If that was an attempted gibe, it was as limp as it was nonsensical.

Lavine was part of the Jimmy Butler trade. Jrue was traded after seven years in New Orleans, under contract and after being paid, as a goodwill gesture to get him to a contender as a vet. Neither has anything to do with letting a restricted free agent walk, so God only knows why you're using them as examples.

Lonzo is the only correct parallel at even a basic level, but is still a very different case. You can go back and check the off-season thread, but many Pels fans, including myself, were ballparking Lonzo asking for something in the $18-25 mill range per season, and as it happened he got 4/80.

Personally I would lean towards having kept him at that price, but I can understand not doing so. None of us know whether he wanted to leave, or whether it was our coaches/GM who pushed him out the door, but that's by the by.

The big problem with Lonzo leaving was the idiotic sign and trade we completed with the Bulls. Plus the fact that we didn't really use the cap space opened up by his departure to do anything constructive. The latter is part of the reason why I why I would have been inclined to keep him.

But Lonzo and Sexton are not alike. Lonzo, even if he proved to be slightly overpaid at 4/80, is still a guy who would fit on a lot of teams, and would complement a lot of different rosters and stars. Sexton? He's a guy without a position, unless you count 6th man as a position. So re-signing Lonzo would hypothetically have been far less of risk for us than the Cavs splashing big money on Sexton.

Lonzo would have been moveable on his current contract, and as it happens he's living up to it. If Cleveland give Sexton $25-30 mill per, the likelihood is that they'll be stuck with that contract for a long, long time. Nobody's trading for Sexton on that coin. Nobody's giving it to him as a free agent. His market is weak. As a player who lacks a position, he'll end up looking at the kind of contract the Cavs - ironically - gave Markkanen.

Lonzo would be perfect on cavs btw.

45% on 7 threes a game, who saw that career progression a few years ago

Can thank Fred Vinson, our shot doctor. Or the Bulls can, more to the point.

Poor Fred has his work cut out for him with our current young crop. Never seen so many open threes bricked in my life.

Highly rated by who?

Most Cav fans aren't even high on him, they are better with Rubio/Garland on the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back