Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we need Horne specifically, for us to become a force in the comp. In fact our main holes are clearly in the tall department. We don't really have a developing key defender and our only young key forward options are Comben and young Edwards who may end up in the ruck. Adding 1 or 2 top end talents in those positions would be my priority. If Kelly does come (I am not sure what are the chances) then that even further accentuates this.

I am not sure if there are any quality talls in the top 10 this year, but I'd certainly be open to splitting pick 1 into two first round picks if we did get it.

One thing I would hate though if it comes down to the final game in Adelaide, is to win it because the Crows would contrive to lose the game in a farcical manner. If we avoided the spoon in a deserving fashion I'd be all for it.

I don't think we need Horne specifically, for us to become a force in the comp. In fact our main holes are clearly in the tall department. We don't really have a developing key defender and our only young key forward options are Comben and young Edwards who may end up in the ruck. Adding 1 or 2 top end talents in those positions would be my priority. If Kelly does come (I am not sure what are the chances) then that even further accentuates this.

I am not sure if there are any quality talls in the top 10 this year, but I'd certainly be open to splitting pick 1 into two first round picks if we did get it.

One thing I would hate though if it comes down to the final game in Adelaide, is to win it because the Crows would contrive to lose the game in a farcical manner. If we avoided the spoon in a deserving fashion I'd be all for it.
There's a bloke that kicked 7 10 days ago that says hi

There's a bloke that kicked 7 10 days ago that says hi
Obviously I am talking about developing players not currently in the seniors. I haven't mentioned McKay either for the same reason.
The point being that you need some quality young key backs and forwards developing. Currently we have very little in either department.

Obviously I am talking about developing players not currently in the seniors. I haven't mentioned McKay either for the same reason.
The point being that you need some quality young key backs and forwards developing. Currently we have very little in either department.
I don't really get your point. We are 18th on the ladder, any young "quality" player is going to pretty much automatically be in the seniors team because we aren't good enough for them to playing VFL.

I don't really get your point. We are 18th on the ladder, any young "quality" player is going to pretty much automatically be in the seniors team because we aren't good enough for them to playing VFL.
My point is that you need to look at list management needs. Our midfield options look reasonable, whereas there are clear holes in KP stocks. The fact we are 18th isn't really reflective of our list, as we have been a top 10 side since the bye, and still have several young mids who aren't playing at the moment such as Powell and Lazarro. I am not saying Horne is surplus to requirements, but there are now arguably more obvious needs that require attention.

My point is that you need to look at list management needs. Our midfield options look reasonable, whereas there are clear holes in KP stocks. The fact we are 18th isn't really reflective of our list, as we have been a top 10 side since the bye, and still have several young mids who aren't playing at the moment such as Powell and Lazarro. I am not saying Horne is surplus to requirements, but there are now arguably more obvious needs that require attention.

If Comben was in the draft we'd all be going nuts. We got Edwards who will likely take a few years development, so ive no expectations of him next year other than showing growth and green shoots. But again if he were in the draft we'd wanting him.

We have great forward options there, particularly Comben. He moves every bit as good as the King boys or Thilthorpe for mine.

We obviously got a gun McKay, Taz could go another 2 and we have Corr. Yes a CHB would be nice, but id be into Weid for that. Another ruck could be handy, but we know the risks taking one early. Perhaps trading for one in the near future. But anyway i dont think our tall stocks are as bad as made out.

Ok. I agree that our midfield looks pretty well stocked but at the same time you cannot have too many quality mids imo and pick 1 is not a needs based pick - you take the best available (not that you have suggested otherwise). As for key position stocks, you haven't included players who are currently best 22 but I think you need to. McKay and Corr should be able to play 5 years together and I wouldn't be looking beyond that period of time for list needs. Larkey is a 10 year player, whilst Comben and Edwards are promising.

FWIW I would have no problem if we traded 1 for multiple first rounders that netted us Gibcus and another elite talent.

Yes a CHB would be nice, but id be into Weid for that.

Where does all of this Weideman as a CHB talk come from apart from a BF poster suggesting he might go alright there?

No way known we would trade for a 50 game, 24yo, one-goal-a-game, previously 1st Rounder because he might play well in a position that is completely foreign to him.

I'm all for grabbing him as KPF depth if he costs peanuts otherwise let's find the next Dougal Howard

Where does all of this Weideman as a CHB talk come from apart from a BF poster suggesting he might go alright there?

No way known we would trade for a 50 game, 24yo, one-goal-a-game, previously 1st Rounder because he might play well in a position that is completely foreign to him.

I'm all for grabbing him as KPF depth if he costs peanuts otherwise let's find the next Dougal Howard

Well as far as i know i was the first to suggest it. He appears to have the physical attributes, is too good for VFL but struggling up forward in the AFL and we successfully transformed Taz into a key defender.

The coach suggested we needed support for Souva, a small forward and potentially a back to support Hall........whether that support comes in the form of a draft pick or a mature type will play out I suppose but I reckon Nobes has made his intentions clear what positions he wants filled.

Fair to say Im honestly looking forward to seeing how North attacks this trade and draft period. Im hoping its targeted and clinical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coach suggested we needed support for Souva, a small forward and potentially a back to support Hall........whether that support comes in the form of a draft pick or a mature type will play out I suppose but I reckon Nobes has made his intentions clear what positions he wants filled.

Fair to say Im honestly looking forward to seeing how North attacks this trade and draft period. Im hoping its targeted and clinical.
I think we'd go for the likes of callahan as a HBF if we didnt have pick 1 (re hall) and potentially try to trade up for Rachelle if available but I can imagine its all in limbo until the end of the year.
Cant really see many AFL playing small forwards being available unless we go super left field and try to pick up someone like rankine.
Clubs on the look for quality now so we wont be getting any B/C graders in.

Well as far as i know i was the first to suggest it. He appears to have the physical attributes, is too good for VFL but struggling up forward in the AFL and we successfully transformed Taz into a key defender.
Could be like a josh shache situation who's basically reinvigorated his career as a Key defender.
If he's cheap then go for it, if not then we don't.
Wont be spending but draft capital on a guy who's stuck in the VFL.

I think we'd go for the likes of callahan as a HBF if we didnt have pick 1 (re hall) and potentially try to trade up for Rachelle if available but I can imagine its all in limbo until the end of the year.
Cant really see many AFL playing small forwards being available unless we go super left field and try to pick up someone like rankine.
a little left field but if we managed to jag Kelly having him run off a half back flank might plug that gap nicely.

There’s a few out of contract small forwards like Gryan Miers, Jason Castagna, Dylan Moore and I think Billings could play that role well too

a little left field but if we managed to jag Kelly having him run off a half back flank might plug that gap nicely.
If we get Josh Kelly he is opening bounce centre square, first rotation mid with Cunners and one of Jy/LDU. We won't be putting him on a flank or a wing.

Think you've articulated it pretty clearly.

You want a pool of developing talls because fact is some just won't make it either because of limitations or injury.

An additional dedicated young key forward (ie not someone you're pondering where their best position is) plus another young key defender seems a no brainer.

That's true but I guess the hypothetical would be trading Luke Hodge for Chris Judd and James Bartel?
that's the key to it - Freo left themselves well short, trading pick 1 for Trent Croad. If you're going to do it, you want two top 10 picks in what you think is a strong draft, one of them say 4 or 5, the other 7 to 9. Pick 1 is 3000 points - pick 5 and 9 is 3300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back