The Rendell Fiasco

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rendell Says the club will only recruit Aboriginals that have one white parent

A bit more "balance" in this article by Rucci...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/zzzz-...stions-to-answer/story-fn83zgrc-1226303531509

Rendell met Mifsud and another AFL official in January.
Adelaide Football Club chief executive Steven Trigg was not alerted to the issue until he met AFL bosses, including league chief executive Andrew Demetriou, in Adelaide on Wednesday.
There is always reason for cynicism in the AFL.
Between January and Rendell's forced resignation on Friday, the AFL has negotiated for several million of dollars of government grants for an indigenous program in Darwin and a significant sponsorship from Australia Post to support the league's multi-cultural programs.
How would have those deals been closed had the AFL been embroiled in a racial debate?
Trigg knew of the problem on Wednesday, chased Mifsud for 36 hours and by Friday afternoon had moved decisively to remove the stain of racism from his club.
Either Mifsud, his direct bosses in the AFL's middle management or Demetriou waited 60 days to deal with an issue that is to have zero tolerance.
Someone has not done their job at AFL House. Who? Why?
A job has certainly been done on Rendell.
He had put himself in the firing line with his cracks at City Hall and its pet project, the new Greater Western Sydney franchise.
His declaration the Giants would not win a game this year ensured GWS coach Kevin Sheedy, a long-time advocate of the indigenous cause, would load both barrels to shoot down Rendell.
It is too difficult to excuse Rendell for thinking AFL recruiting managers should avoid indigenous draft prospects with two Aboriginal parents.
And it will be difficult for the AFL to explain how this matter stayed unresolved at AFL House for two months.

Re: Rendell Says the club will only recruit Aboriginals that have one white parent

No, what did he say?

I do not believe any of the comments or articles in the last week are racist, but are fundamentally misinformed.
Rendell has said he is only trying to "help" and in a separate interview by Jon Pierik with former Collingwood player Rupert Betheras, the term "troubled pasts" was used on several occasions to describe Aboriginal players.
The picture they and many others are painting is that without people like them, Aboriginal players cannot survive in AFL society.
What effectively is being said is, "We as Aboriginal people wanting to play the great game of AFL cannot do it without good caring white folk like you".
This attitude denies the hard work families and individuals have made in almost two decades to reach their dream.
Let me say to all those who attribute my success to others, I achieved playing AFL with discipline and hard work.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...d-by-stereotypes/story-e6frecjc-1226303314427

Suggesting that Rendell's comments may not be considered racist, but are still insulting. As could any defence of his comments, if the suggestion is that an Aboriginal Footballer needs the guiding hand of the white man to make it. Which in essence is what the idea of setting up an "Aboriginal Academy" is. Afterall, are there white players out in remote farming communities who have similar hurdles?

Matt Rendell's appearance on "Footy Classified" tonight should be interesting viewing. I'm thinking the Cockatoo Collins article will probably be close to the intent of Rendell's comments. Expect some usual blunt words from Matt and hopefully Demetriou will look like the arse he is

Funny you should say that....Neil Mitchell on Vic Radio today replayed an interview with Demitriou that he did early last week before the actual name of the recruiter was known to the public, In the course of the interview Vlad when questioned said words to the effect " I think the person in question should start looking for employment outside the AFL" so your scenario is pretty close to the money IMO.

I think what he said at the begining is even more interesting, the bit about this person should look for another job was at the end of the AD's comments.

What he said and don't quote me word for word, was something like this:
"The media pedling some story about a phantom recruiter", he then went on to say if thats how the recruiter feels he should look for another job.

That sounds to me like AD had no idea about a recuiter saying something, until the media brought it up. Those aren't the words of an AFL CEO who knows who the accused recruiter is.

So my take is that this took AD by surprise, conversation in January and the AFL CEO only getting wind of it in March......how would that look!!!!
So in order to cover the AFL's backside the best form of defence is attack......Matt R is the scapegoat. City Hall would have told Trigg to get rid of him thus someone has paid the price and City Hall come out of this squeeky clean cause they have dealt with and accused racist!!

Big con job so far with more questions than answers.

Whilst we dont know all the facts and may never do so, something really stinks here.

If I was given the choice to enter 2 rooms, room 1 had Andy D and Adrian A in it and room 2 was full of vipers and rattlesnakes.....i'd choose room 2, at least I know what I was getting.
The AFL's role in this is getting smellier by the day.

Cant wait to hear Matt R tonight.

I think Rendell will end up with an unlikely ally....

Rucci.....

He is probably frothing at the mouth at showing how inept and patetic the AFC have been with this case when the facts are presented

It seems the truth is coming out about Rendall's demise at the AFC...a Vlad directive!!!!! :thumbsdown:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/zzzz-...-by-matts-legacy/story-fn83zh02-1226304067239

ADELAIDE had little choice but to show recruiting manager Matt Rendell the West Lakes exit door. AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou demanded it.
"We won't tolerate in any way, shape or form, any discrimination based on race, gender or sexual identity," Demetriou said, labelling Rendell's remarks about the "one white parent" recruiting rule as "completely stupid".

Also in the article by Andrew Capel...

But make no mistake, Rendell - while having his image severely tarnished - will be missed by the Crows.
And his legacy as having an astute recruiting eye will live on.
Since replacing James Fantasia as Adelaide recruiting manager in 2007, Rendell has pulled off some recruiting coups.
In his first national draft, Rendell - always outspoken and having a left-field view on most things - took what the football world thought was a massive punt.

In selecting Victorian Patrick Dangerfield with the club's first selection - No. 10 overall - ahead of local favourite Brad Ebert, Rendell set himself up for instant ridicule.
Ebert was the SA under-18 captain, a midfield ball magnet and a popular draft choice among Crows fans.
It was a chance to get one back on arch-rival Port Adelaide, where Brad's uncle, Russell, is a club legend, having won a record four Magarey Medals.
An Ebert starring for Adelaide would have been tough for Power fans to take.
On most mock draft boards, speedster Dangerfield was widely viewed as nothing better than a top 25 selection.

That is an excellent haul of talented young players.
Like all AFL recruiters, Rendell has made some mistakes.
But his record - which will be judged properly in three or four years - looks outstanding.
If new coach Brenton Sanderson makes a good fist of his first senior coaching job at Adelaide - which he is on track to after Saturday's NAB Cup victory - much of the credit should go to Rendell.
He has left the Crows list in good shape.

Mark Robinson just smashed the nail on the head on Fox Footy. Absolutely spot on and he's got an article in the Sun tomorrow.

BRING RENDELL BACK!!! How do we campaign? Start a viral video that Vlad is stealing children in Uganda?

Mark Robinson just smashed the nail on the head on Fox Footy. Absolutely spot on and he's got an article in the Sun tomorrow.

What was the gist of what Robbo said Wall-e?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BRING RENDELL BACK!!! How do we campaign? Start a viral video that Vlad is stealing children in Uganda?

No, but maybe we can use social media in a bring back rendell campaign?

What was the gist of what Robbo said Wall-e?
Questioned the context of the quote. Indicating it was said as a projection comment "it's heading down the track where.......insert used quote.

Questioned why if Mifsud found it such an issue, why it took 2 months to be released.

Questioned why they chose to release it in a controlled media interview with AFL representation.

Questioned AD comments on why he was calling for heads and how much pressure the club was put under to act.

Questioned why Rendell had his head taken when others (Jurrah, King (drink driving), Dippa) get off with small fines and counseling.

Said MR has done more for aboriginal kids in his 35 years than most in the game today.

Went on firing out points.

Sheahan indicated he'll be 'grilling' him too. He's already questioned if Rendell has been made a scapegoat and hinted towards this being a 'controlled' head hunt by 'someone' in the AFL.

Getting ready for Vlad to lawyer this s**t right up.

This. Nailed it.

Can we swap Trigg for Rendell?!

Andy D stating categorically and adamantly that he didn't influence the Crows in the decision to 'sack' Rendell - told us to sort it out as we saw fit.

Doesn't really match up with the 'he should be looking for alternate employment,' line.
Further he also said Trigg met with Rendell asked him to explain the context and then recant the comment. He did not, Trigg then asked him to take some time to think about it and come back in a couple of hours.

He came back and resigned.

Couple of hours we will hear Randells side of events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back