The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly truly sad news about Tom Mitchell. Everyone at the end of the day wants to see the best players playing no matter the team. Hopefully he gets back to his best. I initially had the hawks slipping out of the 8 for 2019 but having a look at some of the best 22's im changing my mind, even without mitchell. Quality experience and youth all over the ground. If they can keep most on the park from here, no one is going to look forward to playing the hawks.

B: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Burgoyne Mirra Sicily
M: Smith O’Meara Wingard
HF: Bruest Gunston Impey
F: Puopolo Roughead Minchington
FOLL: McEvoy Shiels Worpel
IC: Morrison Cousins Howe Schoenmakers

With Mitchell out the added responsibility now falls on the likes of Smith, O’Meara, Scully, Shiels, Burgoyne, Worpel and Howe.

Outside the best 22 Cousins and Minchington could make a case for Round 1 depending on how their pre-season form goes.

Mitchell out leaves a big hole in the team. I’m sure Clarkson the rest of the coaching staff are probably planning what the new midfield setup might look like for this year.

It’s a big ask for a second year player like Worpel to expect him to suddenly dominate given he’s only 19, but if he can improve on last year’s output and play around 15-20 games and up his disposal average then that may cover the loss ever so slightly.

Cousins is another who hopefully is best 22 by seasons end as I think he can add something to our inside midfield stocks.

St Kilda fans were saying that Minchington would also dominate the midfield at VFL level. Worth a sustained run at the midfield at AFL level they said. Let’s see if he can do it given the opportunity.

St Kilda fans were saying that Minchington would also dominate the midfield at VFL level. Worth a sustained run at the midfield at AFL level they said. Let’s see if he can do it given the opportunity.

Think he needs to get his body fully fit and start performing at BHH first... is depth for 2019 for mine.

HI All
Not sure if there's another thread for this, but I am planning to go to Adelaide for round 1, any way to secure tickets or will it be impossible given the round 1 expectations and Adelaide games mostly selling out ?
I want to go with a mate and have one full AFL membership and one hawthorn 11 game membership.
Thanks

Had a play around

Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
Birchall - Sicily - Impey

Scully* - Howe - Smith
(Henderson)

Gunston - Roughead - Wingard
Breust - M.Lewis - Puopolo

McEvoy - O’Meara - Shiels

Burgoyne - Worpel - Morrison - Nash

Burgoyne, Rough, Wingard, Breust and Puopolo to play through the guts for chop outs. Lewis second Ruck obviously when McEvoy needs a rest. Nash adds both height and speed in the forward line when Lewis heads into the ruck. Even if Impey went into the forward line for a rest from rebound plays you can just chuck smith in his place and Nash on the wing. Definitely a hard task without TOM

Had a play around

Birchall - Sicily - Impey

Scully* - Howe - Smith
(Henderson)

Gunston - Roughead - Wingard
Breust - M.Lewis - Puopolo

Burgoyne - Worpel - Morrison - Nash

Burgoyne, Rough, Wingard, Breust and Puopolo to play through the guts for chop outs. Lewis second Ruck obviously when McEvoy needs a rest. Nash adds both height and speed in the forward line when Lewis heads into the ruck. Even if Impey went into the forward line for a rest from rebound plays you can just chuck smith in his place and Nash on the wing. Definitely a hard task without TOM

That back six is way too undersized. Coming up against Adelaide who have Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and Fogarty another key defender is likely needed as Sicily is much better off playing as a half back flanker rather then as the second tall. I’d like to see Tim Mohr given a chance.

That back six is way too undersized. Coming up against Adelaide who have Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and Fogarty another key defender is likely needed as Sicily is much better off playing as a half back flanker rather then as the second tall. I’d like to see Tim Mohr given a chance.
Sure they'd have height on their side, but we'd hold the advantage of speed. We'd have some sharp, long, accurate kickers in that backline with some pretty decent speed and agility to go with it. Providing our midfield is making sure they're pressuring their midfield and preventing easy delivery inside 50 there's no reason a shorter backline couldn't work for us. After all we could have a tall backline that matches up well on Adelaide's forwardline but if their midfield is given the time and space to hit up leading forward targets lace out they'd be just as easily defeated as a shorter line up.

Sounds like Impey has been training with the backline but to bring Mohr in I guess you’d play him off the bench in place of Nash. Sacrifices the speedy rebound though.

Unsure if they’d use Foggart in their round 1 team (I rate the kid just doubtful).

Birchall - Brand - Henderson
Impey - Howe - Smith
Burgoyne - Roughead - Wingard
Breust - Gunston - Sicily
Ceglar - Worpel - Morrison - Puopolo

Not sure if anyone else heard Clarko on triple M this morning being interviewed from the Staples center but he was talking about the rule changes and pretty much said that it will force us to play two ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if anyone else heard Clarko on triple M this morning being interviewed from the Staples center but he was talking about the rule changes and pretty much said that it will force us to play two ruckman.

I missed it, why do you think that is ? Im hoping that doesn't affect developing m.lewis at chf but we would have a rather slow fwd line with a ruck, m.lewis and roughy featuring.

Cegs is a better choice alongside Roughead and gunston. Then have poppy Breust and one of minchington or Burgoyne as the 6 starting frwds which allows The Chad to play midfield 70/30!
Cegs can take a grab and hit the scoreboard as he’s shown before. Mitch should be the secondary option all the while he’s still developing his craft at BHH.

I'm happy with having 2 rucks. McEvoy and Ceglar are both reliable rucks, mobile around the ground, and can push forward and be a scoring threat. Most importantly they are a good combo who can wear down the better solo rucks in the league. There's not many clubs that spring to mind as having a second ruck that is as good an all around player as Ceglar is. Port, and maybe Freo and GWS have the players to be in that conversation.

Sounds like Impey has been training with the backline but to bring Mohr in I guess you’d play him off the bench in place of Nash. Sacrifices the speedy rebound though.

Unsure if they’d use Foggart in their round 1 team (I rate the kid just doubtful).

If Mohr come sin surely it's to play CHB or FB in place of Frawley or Brand.

FB: Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
HB: Sicily - Mohr - Impey

If true, I think this creates an issue with big Rough.

At his age, the way he moved last season, his hands not sticking, I just don't want to see a forward line of Rough and Ceglar/McEvoy. I feel we would get exploited too easily and you couldn't expect this combination to dominate in the air as perhaps it might have three seasons ago.

I feel Rough, at his age, is now best suited to playing that gorilla forward that can crash packs and bring the ball to the ground. I'd love to be wrong, but it's hard to see him moving around the ground as he has in the past. You can't have two forwards playing the same role and who would be a liability when the ball hits the deck.

Has Nash spent anytime at Box Hill in the ruck? He is obviously a special athlete and you lose nothing with forward pressure.

Last edited:

This 'undersized' seems to pop up each year. Yet Clarko has clearly demonstrated he will back in his system if he doesn't have the cattle.

No chance we play Frawley and Brand/Mohr in the same side. History tells us this.

Stratton and Sicily can dominate the air and will set up so that height isn't an issue.

As for Adelaide, Walker is a lead up forward. Don't let his size fool you. Lynch is even more so, can't remember seeing him take a pack mark. Jenkins is the bear in the square and Frawley will play on these guys. Fogarty is a kid.

In your opinion do you think the club will go with Ceglar or Lewis as the 2nd ruck/forward or is there room for both?

In your opinion do you think the club will go with Ceglar or Lewis as the 2nd ruck/forward or is there room for both?
Ceglar.

Lewis is green, and will take time.

What are everyone's thoughts on Nash for 2019?

He definetly showed some good flashes in 2018 and is a special athlete but he looked way of the required AFL standard in the finals.

For me he needs to show some consistent form in the VFL and improvement in his kicking before he is a lock for the senior side.

I am actually quite bullish on Conor Glass as I think with the amount of experience he has under the belt he could be ready to take the next step up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back