Vic The ruination of inner Melbourne by flogs

Remove this Banner Ad

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne

You're a smart, worldly bloke. You know the hows and whys behind gentrification.

Why is this annoying you now?

Is it because you have realised you are now priced out of the housing market in the part of the world in which you grew up?

If it makes you feel any better, the vast majority of Australians are priced out of Melbourne's leafy and inner suburbs these days.

But then, I'm sure you already knew that. Which is why I ponder the timing of this thread.

In my younger, more idealistic, Age reading days, I used to lament things like gentrification. It used to puzzle me how people could spend seven figures on some dirt a few metres from a tramline.

Perhaps the saddest part of my twenties has been that I'm not even halfway through them and I've already given up on so much idealism. If people want to spend ridiculous amounts on places like Fitzroy then good on em. If this pushes out families and other assorted people from suburbs they call home then bad luck. And if I don't want to sell out, work in commerce and shack up with a chick who also earns six figures so we can pool our incomes, mortgage our future and live where it is now trendy to live, then too bad for me, no Fitzroy terrace.

It is what it is, my friend.

:club:

If it makes you feel any better, the vast majority of Australians are priced out of Melbourne's leafy and inner suburbs these days.

I dunno about vast majority, but pleeeenty of Australians are priced out of most areas in the cap cities.

Can't speak for Melbourne but over here there are a huge number of people living in houses they'd never be able to afford today.

You're a smart, worldly bloke. You know the hows and whys behind gentrification.

Why is this annoying you now?

It has annoyed me for a long time, and my posting on the subject reflects that.

I started this thread because the trend has reached a new "low" - high - with this $4.2m s**t. And the fact of how the story is pitched.

London for example takes many measures to try and keep its social mix intact. The same should happen in Melbourne.

No. Their Kew-living parents will still pay for their rent.

Or more accurately, buy flats/houses for them to live in as investment properties, thus pushing up the prices even further.

I also hate how these rich flogs drive the prices of Ferrari's and Lambo's up so the commoner can't afford any!

If you can't afford it, you can't afford its your fault not someone elses

I've lived in Northcote, Fitzroy, Brunswick, Richmond, Hawthorn and Toorak, and I have to say I prefer the "wealthy" young professionals as neighbours than the pretentious waster hipster douchebags who have infested the inner north. If high property prices drive them out to Yarraville it can only be a good thing for Melbourne.

I also hate how these rich flogs drive the prices of Ferrari's and Lambo's up so the commoner can't afford any!

If you can't afford it, you can't afford its your fault not someone elses

With such a firm grasp of spelling and grammar, clearly your knowledge of economics must be of the highest grade.

I've lived in Northcote, Fitzroy, Brunswick, Richmond, Hawthorn and Toorak, and I have to say I prefer the "wealthy" young professionals as neighbours than the pretentious waster hipster douchebags who have infested the inner north. If high property prices drive them out to Yarraville it can only be a good thing for Melbourne.

The line between the two is increasingly blurred, often to the point of indistinguishability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The line between the two is increasingly blurred, often to the point of indistinguishability.

While this is true, there is one point of difference. Employment.

"Professional students" who bludge off centrelink until their mid thirties are a blight on society. And these fools seem to be the most pretentious, deluded, self important group of the lot.

Slightly related, but I wish instead of blowing at least $43bn on the NBN the governments, both state and federal, looked at building a high speed rail network that connected Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, stopping at Albury, Canberra, Goulburn, Newcastle and one of Port Macquarie or Coffs Harbour.

Would completely revolutionise the country, reduce congestion, help spread population throughout the regional centres and allow people to still work in capital cities while also encouraging companies to move HQ to regional centres.

Slightly related, but I wish instead of blowing at least $43bn on the NBN the governments, both state and federal, looked at building a high speed rail network that connected Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, stopping at Albury, Canberra, Goulburn, Newcastle and one of Port Macquarie or Coffs Harbour.

Would completely revolutionise the country, reduce congestion, help spread population throughout the regional centres and allow people to still work in capital cities while also encouraging companies to move HQ to regional centres.
wat is this i dont

wat is this i dont

It would have a number of flow-on effects one of which would be to depress property prices in capital cities. But you choose to ignore that in favour of a glib remark.

Didn't exactly express myself properly, but I was trying to rush it due to the Craig Thomson gift that keeps giving.

Sucks for me. I'll be 19, a uni student, and a first-time 'liver' in Melbourne this time next year. The prices are pretty high, but then again, you'd pay the same rent for a decent suburb in Perth.

With such a firm grasp of spelling and grammar, clearly your knowledge of economics must be of the highest grade.

Doing Post-Grad Economics study right now actually.

You remind me of "Rabble Rabble Rabble" from South Park.

Sorry I don't spell check or read over my posts. Hopefully this reply captures my sarcasm towards your attitude

While this is true, there is one point of difference. Employment.

"Professional students" who bludge off centrelink until their mid thirties are a blight on society. And these fools seem to be the most pretentious, deluded, self important group of the lot.

Most of them are rich trustafarian types supportered by Mum and Dad.

Has SLF got to his mid thirties and realised, that despite his above average intelligence, superiority complex, worldly travels and life experiences, he hasn't got a pot to piss in?

LOL, no, hardly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back