Analysis The Secret to Richmond's Success...

Remove this Banner Ad

You watch other clubs try and poach her now . I still don’t understand why we have given away so
Much info on how and what we did as a club to improve .
Agree.
Seem to be letting people of importance depart but wouldn’t think Murray would leave.
But, ultimately it’s the 22 on the ground that have made us so great.

You watch other clubs try and poach her now . I still don’t understand why we have given away so
Much info on how and what we did as a club to improve .

Emma started with the club in some capacity back in 2016, that's 4 full seasons now. Konrad Marshall's first tiger book Yellow and Black was released at the end of the successful 2017 season, that's 2 full seasons ago now. Other clubs will already have some variants they are incorporating into their particular culture but what Richmond has is those intangibles, the stars aligning, the right team members at the right time all buying into the subtle energy shift no one really understood but could sense/feel it unfolding. The complete buy in from the entire club is what will continue to set Richmond apart from the other clubs and is really ground-breaking. Because of that complete buy in, all new draftees or recruits will be exposed to the strength and resilience of the entire club and will know no other way. The leadership of the complete squad will be teaching and encouraging our new family members as they are welcomed into the fold and our growth will have a cumulative effect going forward. So not only are the club talking the talk, they are walking/living the talk which puts them way ahead of the other clubs. :richmond:

Agree with the OP and general consensus - there's plenty of elements, but no single thing that is the secret.

And I'd throw in luck. Jeez, we saw some s**t luck in the poor years. Coughlan could have been a Brownlow contender, but we never saw his best. And during the same time, we recruited Nathan Brown, arguably the best player in the comp, who breaks his leg. Polak gets hit by a tram. Krakouer goes to gaol. Crazy.

Agree with the OP and general consensus - there's plenty of elements, but no single thing that is the secret.

And I'd throw in luck. Jeez, we saw some s**t luck in the poor years. Coughlan could have been a Brownlow contender, but we never saw his best. And during the same time, we recruited Nathan Brown, arguably the best player in the comp, who breaks his leg. Polak gets hit by a tram. Krakouer goes to gaol. Crazy.
Then we pick what's his name instead of Cripps...
Tambo instead of Buddy...
Pick another what's its name instead of Fyffe...
Conca instead of Cut Lunch...talk about bad luck in drafting... :(

Then we pick what's his name instead of Cripps...
Tambo instead of Buddy...
Pick another what's its name instead of Fyffe...
Conca instead of Cut Lunch...talk about bad luck in drafting... :(

Bit generous to call all those decisions bad luck... but yeah, let's call it that now that it's in the past ;)

And there's a bit of good luck in Melbourne passing over Dusty - twice. Cotch and Grimes coming good after bad injury history in their early years. Essendon not seeing the potential in Houli. And the most significant event, to my way of thinking, Adelaide deciding Maric wasn't their best ruck. Bloody lucky!

Yep true , but just my opinion is that we shouldn’t give any other clubs an insight to what we do , as even though it may not work with other clubs there is always the chance it could .

With the movement of players and coaches you can't keep the details secret. So letting people know the basics is fine. Note in Yellow and Black Konrad Marshall didn't say certain things (Strategy etc). But that you are employing mindfulness etc is known to everyone and can't be kept secret. So let people know.

Don't let them know how you make the cake, just some of the ingredients.

With the movement of players and coaches you can't keep the details secret. So letting people know the basics is fine. Note in Yellow and Black Konrad Marshall didn't say certain things (Strategy etc). But that you are employing mindfulness etc is known to everyone and can't be kept secret. So let people know.

Spot on, I can duplicate the ingredients from any cookbook and what I dish up will always taste like s**t!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing everyone seems to forget though is our medical staff are incredible. We have not had a finals series ruined by soft tissue injuries. A part from this year as well we only had two players who had injuries I would class as non-impact.
Not only are they doing a good job, but they have plenty of power when it comes to selection. And that’s a function of the club having their priorities set correctly.

Jayden Short is the reason.

I posted a few days back saying KM was on SEN...he was saying exactly that under coaches' instructions, a lot of tactics in the book had to be taken out because it was 'explained' too well

Konrad Marshall alludes to this 'secret success' in both his latest Books! makes for very interesting reading...
Need's another in depth book (after the B2B and other Premierships! :)) to showcase how the pieces aligned to put us where we are now...
If as KM reveals that the positivity/love the RFC has for all involved down there is a factor in our current success, which is so New School and so far ahead of Old School practises, then how long will it take for other oppo Clubs to catch up to us?!?
Will they ever catch up?! or will it be just the case of the current RFC team/Admin slowly coming back to the field...?!?!?
I think the hard work for our club will start when our current stars in Cotch, Rance, JR8 move on and the torch is handed to our younger newer players to create their success...very interesting times at RFC as to how it all works out!

Agree.
Seem to be letting people of importance depart but wouldn’t think Murray would leave.
But, ultimately it’s the 22 on the ground that have made us so great.
It’s more than just the 22 on the ground , she’s a piece of the puzzle and an important piece that I expect will be heavily courted by oppo clubs if not already
After 95 when swooper departed I naively thought it was simply the players on the ground , nothing to see here , seamless change well , the rest is history . Not that I believe she is as important as the coach and there are others also working in that space within the club also , I’d prefer she stayed for another 5-10 years

Konrad Marshall alludes to this 'secret success' in both his latest Books! makes for very interesting reading...
Need's another in depth book (after the B2B and other Premierships! :)) to showcase how the pieces aligned to put us where we are now...
If as KM reveals that the positivity/love the RFC has for all involved down there is a factor in our current success, which is so New School and so far ahead of Old School practises, then how long will it take for other oppo Clubs to catch up to us?!?
Will they ever catch up?! or will it be just the case of the current RFC team/Admin slowly coming back to the field...?!?!?
I think the hard work for our club will start when our current stars in Cotch, Rance, JR8 move on and the torch is handed to our younger newer players to create their success...very interesting times at RFC as to how it all works out!
It’s the coaching group and asst that have set the scene , the leadership group have embraced it picked up and ran with it , I’d expect the next group of emerging leaders to continue where they’ve left off. We have the best group of u23 in the league , the competition should be afraid , v e r y afraid

One of the most important principles of policy and strategic management. Always freely tell people what they already know or can easily find out for themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back