Croweater

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2013
Somewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC, Arsenal FC,
I'll admit that I haven't been the most loyal Port Adelaide supporter over the years. I loved the early 2000s when Port dominated, but I unashamedly dropped off when the going got tough. I suppose the value I put on Port Adelaide was based on team performance, and team performance wasn't great.

The past couple of years, coinciding with games being played closer to my home in the inner suburbs, as well as the considerable improvement of team performance, has seen me become interested again. But there is something that I’ve realised about Port Adelaide, something with which I was previously unaware.

Port Adelaide is a club. Not a franchise, not a team; but a club. Its motto is “We exist to win premierships and to make our community proud”. Football and community is the epitomisation of what a football club should be.

About two weeks ago on a Wednesday afternoon, I was driving back to the city after seeing a client out at Osborne, when I saw the Port Club sign on Port Road. I was feeling a little peckish so I thought I’d drop in and have a chicken parmi. While I was wolfing down the pretty tidy offering, I looked around and admired the amount of history showcased in the dining area.

To my surprise, I noticed Travis Boak and Jackson Trengove waltz in there and have a bit of a chat with a couple of what seemed to be regulars. I couldn’t help but think that you wouldn’t see that at West Lakes. You wouldn’t see that at many professional sporting clubs in the world. Two superstar players who play for one of the highest drawing clubs in the fourth highest attended sports league in the world having a chat with old mate from Cheltenham like it was second nature.

You hear of people like Alfie Trebilcock, who has looked after the boys boots for nearly five decades, and is held in such high esteem at Alberton that he’s revered on a similar level to the senior list. People want their ashes scattered on Alberton Oval, such is their passion for the club. Family days, club Q and A's between supporters, players, coaches and administrators, and club-community initiatives highlight the inclusiveness of the club. You take a drive through the Alberton area, and pubs, buildings and homes are donned with Port colours and paraphernalia.

The club means so much to so many people. I had no real understanding about the significance of the relationship between the Port Adelaide community and the Port Adelaide Football Club, but I’m understanding it more and more by attending every game and seeing the passion and love people have for the club.

I do think that more than anything, the reason I didn't properly understand why supporters were so passionate about the club was because I got caught up in the gallimaufry of opinions from the hoi polloi of armchair football commentators on what Port Adelaide is, or what it should aspire to be, and whether or not history should be history. I ended up voicing my own opinions on what Port Adelaide is; opinions which were short-sighted, meritless and pretty offensive to be honest.

I think the point I want to make is that I’ve come to realise that this club is special. In an era of global sports capitalism where money is the only thing that truly matters, Port Adelaide retains what a sporting club should be about. It’s a place where everyone is welcome, where everyone is family. There’s something so indelibly remarkable about that.

Port Adelaide, as a professional sports organisation will undoubtedly expand from traditional borders to be at the forefront of innovation and good fiscal management. But it will always be a big club from the corner of Queen Street and Brougham Place, Alberton, South Australia, that exists to win premierships and to make its community proud.

And that’s a truly wonderful thing.

Last edited:
there's a thread "do we take footy too seriously?" on the mainboard and i said i don't understand how you couldn't take it somewhat seriously if you support a club like this. i mean what are you supposed to do, disrespect this club and treat it like an piece of entertainment, like a hollywood film or a TV show? that's barbaric!!

Great post. I once saw Scott Thompson in a chicken shop, gave me a bit of a scowl once he saw my port beanie.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 4027A using Tapatalk

You know how resentful these people who grow up Port supporters but choose to make their bed with the crows can be. Just ask Geoffa.

This club is something special, a special place to the local community, a special place for all of us who reside there, have roots there and live interstate in my case or have chosen to support Port Adelaide over the journey.

No other club has anything like it, as much as they'd like to. From my point of view this club feels like it's part of my family. Having my Dad, Uncle, Grandfather, Great Uncle and more recently a cousin all play there, some of them very good Port Adelaide players as I've been told is something I'm very proud of and now teaching my 7 year old daughter about. Now as I get older it's something I'm very proud of and researching a lot more atm.

Only last Friday at the GDV pre game out of chance did I meet someone who worked with Uncle Paul and got to have a few beers and many a laugh with stories about Uncle Paul, and his when a big and and his football. That was a memory only this club could provide and something I'm very privileged to feel a part of and learn of.

Today's announcement and extending this club into China is amazing, and really never heard of but not surprised to see us take on knowing our history.

As the original post said our club is a special club I for one couldn't be prouder of and today was one of those days where you just smile and say yep that's my club.

I'll admit that I haven't been the most loyal Port Adelaide supporter over the years. I loved the early 2000s when Port dominated, but I unashamedly dropped off when the going got tough. I suppose the value I put on Port Adelaide was based on team performance, and team performance wasn't great.

The past couple of years, coinciding with games being played closer to my home in the inner suburbs, as well as the considerable improvement of team performance, has seen me become interested again. But there is something that I’ve realised about Port Adelaide, something with which I was previously unaware.

Port Adelaide is a club. Not a franchise, not a team; but a club. Its motto is “We exist to win premierships and to make our community proud”. Football and community is the epitomisation of what a football club should be.

About two weeks ago on a Wednesday afternoon, I was driving back to the city after seeing a client out at Osborne, when I saw the Port Club sign on Port Road. I was feeling a little peckish so I thought I’d drop in and have a chicken parmi. While I was wolfing down the pretty tidy offering, I looked around and admired the amount of history showcased in the dining area.

To my surprise, I noticed Travis Boak and Jackson Trengove waltz in there and have a bit of a chat with a couple of what seemed to be regulars. I couldn’t help but think that you wouldn’t see that at West Lakes. You wouldn’t see that at many professional sporting clubs in the world. Two superstar players who play for one of the highest drawing clubs in the fourth highest attended sports league in the world having a chat with old mate from Cheltenham like it was second nature.

You hear of people like Alfie Trebilcock, who has looked after the boys boots for nearly five decades, and is held in such high esteem at Alberton that he’s revered on a similar level to the senior list. People want their ashes scattered on Alberton Oval, such is their passion for the club. Family days, club Q and A's between supporters, players, coaches and administrators, and club-community initiatives highlight the inclusiveness of the club. You take a drive through the Alberton area, and pubs, buildings and homes are donned with Port colours and paraphernalia.

The club means so much to so many people. I had no real understanding about the significance of the relationship between the Port Adelaide community and the Port Adelaide Football Club, but I’m understanding it more and more by attending every game and seeing the passion and love people have for the club.

I do think that more than anything, the reason I didn't properly understand why supporters were so passionate about the club was because I got caught up in the gallimaufry of opinions from the hoi polloi of armchair football commentators on what Port Adelaide is, or what it should aspire to be, and whether or not history should be history. I ended up voicing my own opinions on what Port Adelaide is; opinions which were short-sighted, meritless and pretty offensive to be honest.

I think the point I want to make is that I’ve come to realise that this club is special. In an era of global sports capitalism where money is the only thing that truly matters, Port Adelaide retains what a sporting club should be about. It’s place where everyone is welcome, where everyone is family. There’s something so indelibly remarkable about that.

Port Adelaide, as a professional sports organisation will undoubtedly expand from traditional borders to be at the forefront of innovation and good fiscal management. But it will always be a big club from the corner of Queen Street and Brougham Place, Alberton, South Australia, that exists to win premierships and to make its community proud.

And that’s a truly wonderful thing.

If I remember correctly, I was one of your biggest critics on here for some of your views. All I can say in response to this excellent post is welcome back.

It was pretty cool walking in to the club today and seeing Robbie Gray propping up the bar, or walking out on to Alberton Oval as dad was reminiscing about the time he played here and seeing the staff and some players (toumpass the only one recognised at distance) walking across from Alan Scott HQ to the Port Club. Amazing really. I just wouldn't believe you would find that anywhere else in a professional sporting landscape. To go for a walk on their home oval like it's a park down the street and they walk by going about their business casually.

It's something, ya know? Port Adelaide is something tangible. Something that isn't just experienced, but felt. Something to be proud of.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to the topic at hand

I don't know what worse on the clubs Facebook status. Older straight men being homophobic with the 'no need to bring this to the football', or the younger millennial straight dudes with the tagging their mates and 'haha mate I found a group for you' like being gay is still something to be laughed at...

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I don't know what worse on the clubs Facebook status. Older straight men being homophobic with the 'no need for this at the football', or the younger straight dudes with the tagging their mates and 'haha mate I found a group for you' like being gay is still something to be laughed at...

some people are still not comfortable with themselves it seems

I don't know what worse on the clubs Facebook status. Older straight men being homophobic with the 'no need for this at the football', or the younger straight dudes with the tagging their mates and 'haha mate I found a group for you' like being gay is still something to be laughed at...

I thought one of the lines in the club article was a bit off too ...

"While football and homosexuality don’t always go hand in hand ... "

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

These 2 lines particularly crack me up...

"......The past couple of years, coinciding with games being played closer to my home in the inner suburbs......"

"........About two weeks ago on a Wednesday afternoon, I was driving back to the city after seeing a client out at Osborne...."

Lolz....

What's the scoop betty boop?

What's the scoop betty boop?

It's the guy that made up this lavish Eastern suburbs/private school rich kid persona that used to post these elaborate stories of his privileged life as a law graduate/ Unley Park resident which went on for a couple of years until he got outed as a dish pig who worked at the Feathers Hotel. It came up only recently in another thread.

I live amongst these people, and I remember reading his stuff thinking even the most obnoxious prats with zero self awareness don't speak like this.

It's the guy that made up this lavish Eastern suburbs/private school rich kid persona that used to post these elaborate stories of his privileged life as a law graduate/ Unley Park resident which went on for a couple of years until he got outed as a dish pig who worked at the Feathers Hotel. It came up only recently in another thread.

I live amongst these people, and I remember reading his stuff thinking even the most obnoxious prats with zero self awareness don't speak like this.

Was he mates with the death faker guy?

I thought one of the lines in the club article was a bit off too ...

"While football and homosexuality don’t always go hand in hand ... "

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

That it’s been almost as confusing as the changing interpretations of holding the ball.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Do people actually give a fu** about the pride flag like really?

I mean I guess homophobes but ******* hell.

Figure it out you campaigners.
My gay uncle does, hates how it is always being reinvented and has been ostracised from his gay friends because of his views (that, and he dislikes Mardi gras).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back