The washup of the trade/draft period

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't believe that, that's like saying if we won in 2017, Burton's recruitment and promotion would have been considered a great move. I think they could have won without Boyd (not so much the umpires) and they made the grandfinal despite Boyd's being dead weight for most of their season including a few finals.
Thats not true at all.

Im still not sure how Boyd didnt win the Norm, he was the most influential player on the ground. That and they actually WON the game, we didnt

Aren't points only useful for academy and father/son picks. For anything else they are an irrelevant measure as few would suggest pick 1 and 19 is on par with picks 3 and 4 in terms of the actual player selected.

Even if the points are the same.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I think they are useful in some context. If I remember correctly, the points applied to each pick are derived from historical salary data for players taken at each pick. Of course that says nothing about the value of those players. For example, 2016 GF aside, Tom Boyd's output on the field, compared to his salary is not equal to someone like Dustin Martin, yet they are given roughly equal weight in terms of how the points are applied.

Aren't points only useful for academy and father/son picks. For anything else they are an irrelevant measure as few would suggest pick 1 and 19 is on par with picks 3 and 4 in terms of the actual player selected.

Even if the points are the same.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not sure if it’s true, but someone on bf once posted that the points system is some how based on historical pick trades. Doesn’t seem right to me.

In overall terms we gave up pick our 2018 pick 19, slide 24 to 30 and a slide of our 2019 1st to Carltons 2nd for a top 3 pick.

Great post in full - this bit is the best of it. Giving up tiny little bits and pieces to gain one big prize in return is usually considered ‘play station trading’ as Vader would type but Hamish and his boys pulled it off.

I’m dreaming of winning the flag and having pick 1.

I think they are useful in some context. If I remember correctly, the points applied to each pick are derived from historical salary data for players taken at each pick. Of course that says nothing about the value of those players. For example, 2016 GF aside, Tom Boyd's output on the field, compared to his salary is not equal to someone like Dustin Martin, yet they are given roughly equal weight in terms of how the points are applied.
I think draft points are OK for a rule of thumb.

Like comparing players by Supercoach points, it’s flawed but there’s no better freely available metric, as long as you understand the limitations.

Main problem is they undervalue early picks. Teams who upgraded picks always paid points to do so.

I would think that in general every year, drafting gets better, which means the good players are more likely to be taken with the early picks.

One would hope the current draft pick points aren’t being too skewed by the days of Chris Grant going at pick 100. In a few years we might look at the days of Patton and McCartin going early the same way.

Drafting, much like life itself, gets better every year. For most people...

I don't believe that, that's like saying if we won in 2017, Burton's recruitment and promotion would have been considered a great move. I think they could have won without Boyd (not so much the umpires) and they made the grandfinal despite Boyd's being dead weight for most of their season including a few finals.

Absolutely it would have been considered a great move. The only thing that matters in this game is winning grand finals. Do that, and everything else is forgivable.

Boyd was fantastic for the latter half of the season when they started switching him through the ruck

It wasn’t a fluke in the grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back