The "We must get Tom Lynch at all costs...or maybe not" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was some interesting listening on SEN just then. Rocket said money is unlikely to be the motivating factor for him. He also spoke about Lynch being loyal and success will be high on the agenda if he does leave. He danced around the discussion well given he'd obviously know his situation well.

To me that suggests we might be in with a shot. Any club he chooses needs to have the currency and a chance at success in the next few years which to me is us, Carlton or North. I think the other two are too far back success wise so it all depends on how hard we're prepared to chase him i.e. are we prepared to include an Adams, Sidebottom or JDG? Thank Christ Hawthorn sold the farm for O'Meara!

I agree with all that (Saints may be the other club). In regards to us we are going gung ho for him this year. Have no idea if it will happen but pushing hard.

In regards to cost, not sure if that is your summation or you know something but further to the monetary deal, manager comfortable enough with what we are offering swap wise. I think that is important because if you have manager helping because he sees a probable pay day rather than a 'Hail Mary', then that is a big positive. The major negative is Cochrane being relied upon to be realistic and put his huge ego aside.

Would love to have Lynch playing for us, but for me the cost this year in terms of cap and more importantly picks and possibly a top ten player is to much.
Robbing our now and future for one player. Not worth it.
He mite win a grand final as some have said, but selling the farm mite not get us there. Also getting him this year could ruin our chances of longer term success. Next yes as a RFA, no to this year.
Build the team first that can get us there, then add pieces like Lynch

There was some interesting listening on SEN just then. Rocket said money is unlikely to be the motivating factor for him. He also spoke about Lynch being loyal and success will be high on the agenda if he does leave. He danced around the discussion well given he'd obviously know his situation well.

To me that suggests we might be in with a shot. Any club he chooses needs to have the currency and a chance at success in the next few years which to me is us, Carlton or North. I think the other two are too far back success wise so it all depends on how hard we're prepared to chase him i.e. are we prepared to include an Adams, Sidebottom or JDG? Thank Christ Hawthorn sold the farm for O'Meara!

Both untouchable for me. Would prefer them both to Lynch.
Pendlebury, Treloar and Sidebottom i'd be ok with.

I agree with all that (Saints may be the other club). In regards to us we are going gung ho for him this year. Have no idea if it will happen but pushing hard.

In regards to cost, not sure if that is your summation or you know something but further to the monetary deal, manager comfortable enough with what we are offering swap wise. I think that is important because if you have manager helping because he sees a probable pay day rather than a 'Hail Mary', then that is a big positive. The major negative is Cochrane being relied upon to be realistic and put his huge ego aside.

I left the Saints out mainly because I don't see the need. My guess is that they're working on Kelly or Gaff, but if they turn their attention to Lynch we're no chance because they're in perfect shape list wise, IMO.

No info only my read on it. The situation to me seems like the Judd deal where we were ruled out because we couldn't get the deal done. Do you have any inclination on what has made the manager comfortable? Because the Cochrane tax has me concerned and I don't think Evans has reigned him in yet.

Both untouchable for me. Would prefer them both to Lynch.
Pendlebury, Treloar and Sidebottom i'd be ok with.

I get it with JDG, but Adams is replaceable. The other aspect is the cap space and whilst JDG will see it done he doesn't sweep the deck enough to make it possible, IMO. Pendles is the watch. You need to break a few eggs to make an omelette, but I don't think we're a strong enough club to break that particular egg.

I left the Saints out mainly because I don't see the need. My guess is that they're working on Kelly or Gaff, but if they turn their attention to Lynch we're no chance because they're in perfect shape list wise, IMO.

No info only my read on it. The situation to me seems like the Judd deal where if he leaves his choice will be dictated by who's in the best shape to get the deal done.

I get it with JDG, but Adams is replaceable. The other aspect is the cap space and whilst JDG will see it done he doesn't sweep the deck enough to make it possible, IMO. Pendles is the watch. You need to break a few eggs to make an omelette, but I don't think we're a strong enough club to break that particular egg.
You just need to make sure that the omelette will be big enough to satisfy before smashing all your eggs.

No info only my read on it. The situation to me seems like the Judd deal where we were ruled out because we couldn't get the deal done. Do you have any inclination on what has made the manager comfortable? Because the Cochrane tax has me concerned and I don't think Evans has reigned him in yet.

I believe Adams to be our next captain.
His growth as a player this year has been phenomenal and if he continues the trend, will be AA next year.

Sidebottom for me is a tough one. Love the bloke and does ooze class but his disposal is overrated for mine and is the most expendable midfielder we have (that has decent value).

Treloar with good foot skills would be a brownlow medalist. Unfortunately, he's a butcher and will never be elite for me unless he fixes that aspect of his game.

Pendles is the obvious one for me. Without him, we still played great footy and it allowed further growth in our clearance players.
Given his age, he doesn't command as much as Treloar or JDG would but he'd command enough and would also allow us to bring in another big fish without sacrificing our future RE salary cap restrictions.

In order of most expendable to least expendable out of the players we've mentioned, it would be the following imo:

Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar, JDG, Adams

Can't see Pendles going in a trade.

He'd need to agree to leave for one and he has business interests and a new bub down here.

Even if GC got wind we wanted Lynch and went after Pendles in a Boyd/Griffen type scenario, still don't think he'd walk.

He would have seen the rabble GAJ dealt with and wants to leave. Also $ wouldn't probably sway him as he took unders on his last long term contract out of loyalty.

If they try and push him out it would tear at the fabric of the club.

Think we'd have to throw up Rusty or JDG plus change or we are no chance. I rate both but on a needs basis you'd have to look at it.

Can't see Pendles going in a trade.

He'd need to agree to leave for one and he has business interests and a new bub down here.

Even if GC got wind we wanted Lynch and went after Pendles in a Boyd/Griffen type scenario, still don't think he'd walk.

He would have seen the rabble GAJ dealt with and wants to leave. Also $ wouldn't probably sway him as he took unders on his last long term contract out of loyalty.

If they try and push him out it would tear at the fabric of the club.

Think we'd have to throw up Rusty or JDG plus change or we are no chance. I rate both but on a needs basis you'd have to look at it.

I just don't know if we need tom lynch as much as we'll need Jordy to be honest. The kid is going to be a star!

Agree with Pendles. If this was the NBA, then maybe but we're not at that stage yet.

I just don't know if we need tom lynch as much as we'll need Jordy to be honest. The kid is going to be a star!

Agree with Pendles. If this was the NBA, then maybe but we're not at that stage yet.

Except Lynch IS a star and is a KPP. Jordan is going to be a star, yes, but he's a midfielder which are easier to come across.

I'm all for keeping JDG... I love him, but if he's what we need to give up to get Lynch, I'll pack his bags for him.

I want Pendles to be our next 300 game player. I'd hate to lose him. One of my all time favourite players, deserves to end his career at Collingwood. I love Lynch but some players you just keep.
The exit of Pendlebury will be retirement at Collingwood.
No way hes even remotely in any discussion by Collingwood.

People have to be very careful. Very careful.
Treat the wrong people poorly, can rip a group dynamic to shreds.
Besides, Scott is still an outstanding player, just our rolls Royce engine in our team.

Be great to get Lynch, but not for Scott (or Jordy come to that.)

Besides, Scott is still an outstanding player, just our rolls Royce engine in our team.

Pick 6 + blair for Lynch + 4th rounder. Draft another mature age key back for depth.

Any of Oxley broomhead sier wills crocker mayne etc can be thrown in instead. Plenty of options if Lynch wants a move

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 6 + blair for Lynch + 4th rounder. Draft another mature age key back for depth.

Any of Oxley broomhead sier wills crocker mayne etc can be thrown in instead. Plenty of options if Lynch wants a move
Nobody wants Blair, alas

Pendles wont be traded lol, i understand the reasoning behind trading him but there are some things you just don't do, Sidebottom on the other hand.....

To get Lynch we'd have to pony up this and next years firsts, nothing less, i'd do it but i'd try and offload Sidebottom to the Saints or the Bombers for next years first.

Good call - Agree 100%

Would have been real interesting if the Beams situation occurred this offseason

Looks like Kelly has signed for two years but i hope you are right about Saints looking elsewhere.

I don't have any idea as to what the pieces are that have made him comfortable (not a relationship that allows for me to push more than i know) but like you I fear the Cochrane involvement.

We won't get much if anything for players we don't want to keep. We don't have many players with much currency that we can lose. Pendlebury just can't be traded. He has exactly what we most need. I hope we've learned the lessons of the past. Trading some players impacts beyond their playing capacity. The message of trading Pendlebury would be disasterous.

As for getting Lynch, we have to trade something like our first round pick and a player like De Goey. We'd be up against a number of clubs so I can't see how we'd get a bargain and even a fair deal wouldn't be easy. North obviously have a lot of salary cap to throw around and I can't imagine Carlton are up against it. Both clubs have better draft picks than we do.

Both clubs have better draft picks than we do because we are a better team. That and burning cap on Mayne which can't be undone. I'd rather use the pick at the draft.

I can't see the appeal of north especially for a key forward. They have one of them already. What they really need is midfielders.

I highly doubt we will land lynch this year. Most likely he won't land anywhere and still will be available in 2018.

Goodluck convincing any of them to leave :(.

You just need to make sure that the omelette will be big enough to satisfy before smashing all your eggs.

That's the $64k question.

I think it's worth having these discussions as long as everyone's on the same page that no one wants to push these guys out the door.

Looks like Kelly has signed for two years but i hope you are right about Saints looking elsewhere.

I don't have any idea as to what the pieces are that have made him comfortable (not a relationship that allows for me to push more than i know) but like you I fear the Cochrane involvement.

I did hear that, but I might steal one of TD's lines here and say I'm not convinced until it's announced by the club.

Both clubs have better draft picks than we do because we are a better team. That and burning cap on Mayne which can't be undone. I'd rather use the pick at the draft.
We were a better team in 2017. Carlton have some decent youth. They could have large improvement in 2018. Not so sure about North. They are in for some pain.
Given the Treloar deal and recent drafting I would be very reluctant to give up our first round pick.
I can't see the appeal of north especially for a key forward. They have one of them already. What they really need is midfielders.
Forwards like company but more than that North have $1m+pa based on their Martin and Kelly pursuits.
I highly doubt we will land lynch this year. Most likely he won't land anywhere and still will be available in 2018.
Who knows. I'd love to get him next year as a free agent. It would be a tough ask but I'd hope we threw a fair bit at it.

As a target this year I'd go after Stringer. If the relationship is as it seems with The Dogs/Bevo I'd be trying to convince him to tell them he's only agreeing to a trade to Collingwood and reducing their bargaining power. He's contracted so he does have some bargaining power. If we could somehow upgrade our second round pick and trade that with a player (not sure who they'd have interest in) then I'd be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back