The "We must get Tom Lynch at all costs...or maybe not" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did hear that, but I might steal one of TD's lines here and say I'm not convinced until it's announced by the club.

You may be right with some of the noise to the contrary this afternoon. As much as he would make a team we want to get past better, if it meant we had an increased chance of getting Lynch then i hope Kelly gets to Saints.

Whoever gets Tom Lynch (almost certain he leaves at end of next season) won't go far.

If Collingwood (for example) get Lynch we will be paying 3 players (Pendles, Treloar and Lynch) over 30% of our entire salary cap (based on 2018 increase to 12.45m).

You still have to pay up to another 40 players with about 70% of the remaining salary cap.

Yeah it won't work.

We will improve to a point, but not to the point of being a premiership contender. Sorry we just won't.

And the other factor is, you are then unable to go out and further recruit anyone on significant money because you will have to use every cent you have left to maintain the playing list you have.

I'd love Lynch at FF, don't get me wrong, but not at $1.8 million a year, which is what it will cost, because Carlton are going to offer $2 million and he's not going anywhere else unless the offer is close to that.

Didn't work for Carlton with Judd and Fevola taking up massive salary cap... but has worked a lot better for Sydney with Franklin and Tippett taking massive cap space.

To accommodate Lynch you pay out players like Reid, Mayne, Wells in the 1st and 2nd year of a potential Lynch contract.... the absence of those three non essential players salaries then would cover Lynch's 1.8 mill a year

Draw it up so that Lynch play for unders in his first year or two until the cap room is there, then he is paid overs to make up for earlier lost coin.

That being said I no longer think Lynch is going anywhere... as the AFL is prepared to bend the rules to keep him at GC and will hold a vendetta against any team that prises him away like they did when the swans prised Franklin from GWS.

GC is a wreck, but the AFL is its junk yard dog.

Better trying to pick from the terminally ill NM and try and land B.Brown on what will be less coin.... AFL won't object to that at all.

Didn't work for Carlton with Judd and Fevola taking up massive salary cap... but has worked a lot better for Sydney with Franklin and Tippett taking massive cap space.

To accommodate Lynch you pay out players like Reid, Mayne, Wells in the 1st and 2nd year of a potential Lynch contract.... the absence of those three non essential players salaries then would cover Lynch's 1.8 mill a year

Draw it up so that Lynch play for unders in his first year or two until the cap room is there, then he is paid overs to make up for earlier lost coin.

That being said I no longer think Lynch is going anywhere... as the AFL is prepared to bend the rules to keep him at GC and will hold a vendetta against any team that prises him away like they did when the swans prised Franklin from GWS.

GC is a wreck, but the AFL is its junk yard dog.

Better trying to pick from the terminally ill NM and try and land B.Brown on what will be less coin.... AFL won't object to that at all.
I actually agree on Ben Brown. Would cost less and is the perfect fit for the pies up forward.

but has worked a lot better for Sydney with Franklin and Tippett taking massive cap space.

COLA and some remarkably loose academy rules are largely what made it work for Sydney over the journey.

Just sayin'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may be right with some of the noise to the contrary this afternoon. As much as he would make a team we want to get past better, if it meant we had an increased chance of getting Lynch then i hope Kelly gets to Saints.

Having heard a bit more on it this afternoon I think I'm 80-90% of the way there with it being done because it sounds like Robbo has real good oil on it (I suspect through his manager).

It's a concern if we're a serious chance at him because I can see them going Bruce/ McCartin and 7 for him which trumps anything we can do, IMO. They're also better placed overall with their upward trajectory and 2 first round picks this year. They could do that trade for Lynch and still have the currency to land Gaff. This should be the perfect illustration of why a good list manager is worth their weight in gold.

You add both of them to the St Kilda line up and overtaking them because an almost impossible task.

Edit: a little scenario on Kelly. He wants to finish his career at North and play in a premiership. If that's the case the smart play to me would be to stick it out for two more years at GWS and then jump ship to North once they're a further two years into their rebuild. Moving now could see a Treloar type scenario play out, IMO.

Last edited:
Good list manager or good luck that Riewoldt and Montagna have retired opening up tons of cap room and McCartin has proven to be a massive flop?

If StKilda land him they land him but its a stretch to conclude that makes them better player managers than Collingwood.

You do realise that they made decisions two to three years ago in advance of them two retiring? I know it's a difficult concept to grasp because we haven't seen smart manuevering like that from Collingwood since Ball and Jolly, but that's what good list managers do they plan for those eventualities and don't see outcomes like this based on "good luck".

In a Collingwood case this type of planning would have been selecting McCarthy at the 2013 draft ahead of Freeman so that he was ready to replace Cloke. It would be Brander or Balta this year to replace Reid in two years time.

You do realise that they made decisions two to three years ago in advance of them two retiring? I know it's a difficult concept to grasp because we haven't seen smart manuevering like that from Collingwood since Ball and Jolly, but that's what good list managers do they plan for those eventualities and don't see outcomes like this based on "good luck".

In a Collingwood case this type of planning would have been selecting McCarthy at the 2013 draft ahead of Freeman so that he was ready to replace Cloke. It would be Brander or Balta this year to replace Reid in two years time.

Oh so good planning would to NOT trade pick 6 to land Lynch and instead draft the best available? Without pretending to be an expert in up and coming kids its a strategy I agree with....along with McLarty from last year. And in that case who cares if StKilda or somebody else lands Lynch at this years trade period.

Freeman was clearly an error at the time although the club still managed some awesome trade value out of him before it dropped to zero (who took him again?) .

Oh so good planning would to NOT trade pick 6 to land Lynch and instead draft the best available? Without pretending to be an expert in up and coming kids its a strategy I agree with....along with McLarty from last year. And in that case who cares if StKilda or somebody else lands Lynch at this years trade period.

Freeman was clearly an error at the time although the club still managed some awesome trade value out of him before it dropped to zero (who took him again?) .

I'm not convinced Tom Lynch is the answer. Every post I've made in this thread is based on the information that we are chasing hard. If that's the case you discuss it on its merits just as I was with Cox and same with Fasolo if it goes that way. Would you like my general thoughts on what our strategy should be? Just be prepared for a tldr post...

Awesome? The value we got from trading him out went to Brisbane along with another second rounder to Aish. We took with one hand and gave with the other. That was definitely a s**t move by St Kilda, but if we were judging everyone based on one s**t move there'd be no one left in the industry. It's when you compound one s**t move with another that you get in trouble. As above moving the "awesome" Freeman compo for Aish!

I'm not convinced Tom Lynch is the answer. Every post I've made in this thread is based on the information that we are chasing hard. If that's the case you discuss it on its merits just as I was with Cox and same with Fasolo if it goes that way. Would you like my general thoughts on what our strategy should be? Just be prepared for a tldr post...

Awesome? The value we got from trading him out went to Brisbane along with another second rounder to Aish. We took with one hand and gave with the other. That was definitely a s**t move by St Kilda, but if we were judging everyone based on one s**t move there'd be no one left in the industry. It's when you compound one s**t move with another that you get in trouble. As above moving the "awesome" Freeman compo for Aish!

Sit out of the trade period.

Take best available with pick 6, top up the cap to the max on Mayne who is the reason we are in this dilemma, and hope to be in a better cap position in 12 months time. Trading Fasolo for a pick will also help us front load Mayne as much as we can. This period is about accounting for me....we just need to amortise the bad debt as fast as we can!

Rely on Cox Moore and McLarty to improve and Goldsack Dunn and Reid to keep punching.

List is is reasonable shape. We need a key position player, cant trade for one so draft one to go along with the one we drafted last year.

I reckon Tom Lynch would be a huge coup for the club. I appreciate that he'd cost a bit of money but there are ways to make that happen. It's been discussed and I won't touch on the merits of the individuals but we can trade out a high performing midfielder which will free up space and give us currency.

I'm inclined to think we would be better served picking Lynch under free agency next year this way. If we were to get Balta in the draft and Lynch next year our spine is fixed and our team becomes very balanced.

If we miss out, well too bad. We hit the draft and we should be comfortable with that. We're pretty good at it typically, with our raw picks on their merits.

I reckon Tom Lynch would be a huge coup for the club. I appreciate that he'd cost a bit of money but there are ways to make that happen. It's been discussed and I won't touch on the merits of the individuals but we can trade out a high performing midfielder which will free up space and give us currency.

I'm inclined to think we would be better served picking Lynch under free agency next year this way. If we were to get Balta in the draft and Lynch next year our spine is fixed and our team becomes very balanced.

If we miss out, well too bad. We hit the draft and we should be comfortable with that. We're pretty good at it typically, with our raw picks on their merits.

I completely agree. Draft a key tall this year and chase Lynch next year. If he comes as a FA we have McLarty, this year's first round KPP, Lynch, Moore and potentially another quality KPP from next year, plus Grundy and Cox in the ruck.

That's looking much more like a group of talls to build a flag on. Howe also doesn't look like he's slowing up or losing his spring so he's hopefully got a few years left, at 28 next year.

As you say, if we miss Lynch we are still building that young group via the draft.

Sit out of the trade period.

Take best available with pick 6, top up the cap to the max on Mayne who is the reason we are in this dilemma, and hope to be in a better cap position in 12 months time. Trading Fasolo for a pick will also help us front load Mayne as much as we can. This period is about accounting for me....we just need to amortise the bad debt as fast as we can!

Rely on Cox Moore and McLarty to improve and Goldsack Dunn and Reid to keep punching.

List is is reasonable shape. We need a key position player, cant trade for one so draft one to go along with the one we drafted last year.

Remarkably close to how I would hope the process plays out this year.

I would probably look at Greenwood and Aish as the opportunities to amortise our bad debt in order to front load that Mayne deal. Trade one out for say a Balic or picks and keep an open mind on moving 6 down to two firsts then fill a hole with one of those firsts and go tall with the other. Otherwise treat this off-season as one of consolidation for the list.

Improve the football area and look for the organic growth from within the list from the likes of JDG in an expanded midfield role, Scharenberg/ Ramsay/ Elliott second season back from their injuries, talls in Moore/ McLarty/ Grundy to advance further, seek natural improvement from our 1st and 2nd year draftees and guys like Crisp or Reid who were in new roles to improve with more time to settle.

Otherwise your opinion stacks up with mine that whilst we still lack in some areas there's no need to go crazy. Unfortunately the club might see an opportunity with Lynch and feel obliged to act...

Remarkably close to how I would hope the process plays out this year.

I would probably look at Greenwood and Aish as the opportunities to amortise our bad debt in order to front load that Mayne deal. Trade one out for say a Balic or picks and keep an open mind on moving 6 down to two firsts then fill a hole with one of those firsts and go tall with the other. Otherwise treat this off-season as one of consolidation for the list.

Improve the football area and look for the organic growth from within the list from the likes of JDG in an expanded midfield role, Scharenberg/ Ramsay/ Elliott second season back from their injuries, talls in Moore/ McLarty/ Grundy to advance further, seek natural improvement from our 1st and 2nd year draftees and guys like Crisp or Reid who were in new roles to improve with more time to settle.

Otherwise your opinion stacks up with mine that whilst we still lack in some areas there's no need to go crazy. Unfortunately the club might see an opportunity with Lynch and feel obliged to act...

I haven't given up on aish

Apart from that it's about right

I haven't given up on aish

Apart from that it's about right
I'm starting to call Aish a "Hawthorn" player type.

In other words, he'd be pretty good in a terrific team, more better players around him, more his skills would look better, in a middle of the road team he looks pedestrian at times. He fits a team more than him pushing up a team.

But 2018 is his cross roads year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back