Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread has been rolled over to Part 16 here

I guess you could say he's got a...

...heart of gold.

csi miami GIF

And that

And this

I mean, it seems pretty simple but clearly people think this guy is a Doctor and everything he says should be followed word for word. These same people are banning books on genocide and putting trigger warnings in place in Universities in the US.

clearly people think this guy is a Doctor and everything he says should be followed word for word
Who?

The main issue is that he holds himself out as a purveyor of health information, gear, supplements and so on.

Then he brings on an anti-vac Covid grifter and lets him spout lies.

Hmmm...

Who?

The main issue is that he holds himself out as a purveyor of health information, gear, supplements and so on.

Then he brings on an anti-vac Covid grifter and lets him spout lies.

Hmmm...
Tell me you have never watched his podcast without telling me you've never watched his podcast.

Literally calls himself an idiot and people shouldn't follow his advice on most podcasts.

Tell me you have never watched his podcast without telling me you've never watched his podcast.

Literally calls himself an idiot and people shouldn't follow his advice on most podcasts.
But they do and he knows they do

I mean, it seems pretty simple but clearly people think this guy is a Doctor and everything he says should be followed word for word. These same people are banning books on genocide and putting trigger warnings in place in Universities in the US.
Joe Rogan fans are banning books and are triggered by University education?

So nobody should buy his health and exercise gear? He is just speaking s**t to get you to buy sugar pills?

So nobody should buy his health and exercise gear? He is just speaking s**t to get you to buy sugar pills?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think the someone selling protein powder and a doctor are the same thing?
Nice straw man.

He is putting himself out there as an authority on health, body building and so on. This is obvious. Why does he sell kettle bells and supplements?

He puts his name on them as someone who knows what they are talking about.

This is how marketing works. I can recommend a good book or two on it.

Nice straw man.

He is putting himself out there as an authority on health, body building and so on. This is obvious. Why does he sell kettle bells and supplements?

He puts his name on them as someone who knows what they are talking about.

This is how marketing works. I can recommend a good book or two on it.
So you'd take medical advice from a personal trainer? This is the basis of the whole issue.

If people want to have their whole lives mapped out for them they should go join the defence force.

So you'd take medical advice from a personal trainer? This is the basis of the whole issue.
No it's not.

He has, as a health and fitness authority, a brand he's spent years developing, brought on someone to discuss a health related topic.

He is lending his brand and platform to these people.

It's amazing. At once we have people saying he has no brand authority to lend to his guests, while being unhappy that "teh left", or whoever, are hanging s**t on people for associating with him.

If people want to have their whole lives mapped out for them they should go join the defence force.
I wouldn’t take medical advice from anyone other than my doctor but plenty of people take theirs from Joe and Facebook and other charlatans. Some of the most uneducated and vulnerable no less, if Spotify drops him I’m not gonna lose sleep over it, if they continue to broadcast him I also won’t lose sleep over it but the idea that he and Spotify don’t need to take any responsibility for him talking utter s**t that may harm people is antiquated. The concept of responsibility and liability just doesn’t work that way anymore.

I wouldn’t take medical advice from anyone other than my doctor but plenty of people take theirs from Joe and Facebook and other charlatans. Some of the most uneducated and vulnerable no less, if Spotify drops him I’m not gonna lose sleep over it, if they continue to broadcast him I also won’t lose sleep over it but the idea that he and Spotify don’t need to take any responsibility for him talking utter sh*t that may harm people is antiquated. The concept of responsibility and liability just doesn’t work that way anymore.
As long as it's fair and equal and every single person, regardless of whether they are on Youtube or the mainstream media is treated the same then that's fine. How many views/listens does it take to go from a crazy person yelling into their camera to someone who has a responsibility to what they broadcast?

As long as it's fair and equal and every single person, regardless of whether they are on Youtube or the mainstream media is treated the same then that's fine. How many views/listens does it take to go from a crazy person yelling into their camera to someone who has a responsibility to what they broadcast?
Personally think it’s commensurate to the level of harm the messaging can do.

My point is more around that people defending rogan by saying “oh he says no one should take advice from him” or “we’ll if you don’t like it don’t listen” are missing the point. He does absolutely say no one should listen to him but then he also proceeds to give advice etc. he and his supporters don’t get to just throw their arms up and say “it’s not his fault if people actually listen to him” that’s not how liability works anymore.

Personally think it’s commensurate to the level of harm the messaging can do.

My point is more around that people defending rogan by saying “oh he says no one should take advice from him” or “we’ll if you don’t like it don’t listen” are missing the point. He does absolutely say no one should listen to him but then he also proceeds to give advice etc. he and his supporters don’t get to just throw their arms up and say “it’s not his fault if people actually listen to him” that’s not how liability works anymore.
Well how does liability work then? I'm sure if there was any chance of successfully suing in a place like American it would have already been brought about? Wasn't there hundreds of deaths from people taking horse wormer? Surely that's an open and shut case?

If someone gives one singular piece of terrible advice should they then be silenced? Even if they have history of providing extremely helpful advice?

I mean it probably deserves it's own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back