This club is genuinely cursed

Remove this Banner Ad

We cannot be cursed but we have made some bad mistakes. Dont forget during the so called cursed time we did make 2 preliminary finals..
Things are improving and while supporters cant see it we just have to ride it out like other clubs , Melbourne and Carlton, have done.

I had to because it was going to be this…
boy crying interview GIF
So true 😔

There is no curse.

If there was it was caused by that mid-2016 article that came out when we were coming off two prelims and flying at 9-0 about how Saunders was making sure we had no injuries.

People even talk of the JWS Curse. The kid plays 20-odd games. Has 200+ Game A Grader written all over him. He has a dodgy ankle but the club insists he does a preseason Commando Course - Ankle re-injured - career over. Is that bad luck???Not in my book.
If only we could have grafted JWS DNA and brains into the likes of Sam Power and Liam Anthony at the time.

There is no curse. We should have had Carey making weekly donations to the sperm bank and have had a dozen father sons by now (but the AFL would have probably drafted a new rule).

Have lurked for 20 years but the clubs current form and this thread propelled me to open an account.

Add to the list:
  • Mercurial Roo Winston Abraham’s career ending knee injury getting up from a couch. Could have been anything.
  • 300 gamer John Blakey fathers a key position defender that ends up at the Swans for life, when we desperately need a key defender with speed, vision and aerial presence.

I cannot people are they we are curse, the 7 years under laidley, 10 years under brad, that was the bad years as we languished somewhere around the middle of the table. Not getting the top picks while not gaining anything from beaten out of the finals in the first round of final.

Right now we are actually building a proper team from the ground up, for the first time, we might be able to build a team that has a genuine chance of winning a flag or few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot people are they we are curse, the 7 years under laidley, 10 years under brad, that was the bad years as we languished somewhere around the middle of the table. Not getting the top picks while not gaining anything from beaten out of the finals in the first round of final.

Right now we are actually building a proper team from the ground up, for the first time, we might be able to build a team that has a genuine chance of winning a flag or few.

Fans don’t even know when the next win is coming from let alone a flag or “two”

Fans won’t attend a game again if we’re at rd 10 next year without a win for 2 years

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the positive side, nothing in our clubs history (let alone last 20 years) will come remotely close to the biggest drug cheats in Australian sporting history like our marshmallow opponents this weekend.

F**k the *scum from Tulla!

Fans don’t even know when the next win is coming from let alone a flag or “two”

Fans won’t attend a game again if we’re at rd 10 next year without a win for 2 years

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Then don't. The club isn't going to merge, collapse, fold, relocate just because we are losing games.

Remember why we decided to bottom out in 2020, you might think the admin was hopeless but if you read between the line, we didn't do that randomly. The bottoming corresponded with the elimination of debts. We are financially secure with 0 debt hence we can truly move forward with a proper total reset.

The rest is just history.

Since 2002

• Carey Affair
  • Pagan leaves
  • McCartney blown to the shizen
  • Mick Martyn plays his 300th for Carlton.
  • David Bourke plays a senior game
  • McKernan returns
  • Daniel McConnell trade (look it up)
  • Jon Hay
  • Jade Rawlings
  • grand stand burns down
  • pick 3 L Hansen 4 ahead of Selwood
  • attempt to be shifted off to Gold Coast
  • round 22 vs Port 2008
  • Gavin Urquhart - $1mill for 3 years
  • 4 home games in Tassie
  • 2013 - 8 losses under 2 goals
  • 2016 - 9-0,finish with 12 wins
  • boomer, Petrie and Spud retired
  • Farren Ray recruited
  • Brad Scott contract extended
  • Majak jumps off bolte
  • Brad Scott sacked a year later
  • Rhyce Shaw appointed
  • Polec told to tag Cripps, gets a Brownlow vote and dropped, never plays another good game
  • Dani Laidley arrested
  • David Noble appointed
  • Sell the farm for Callum Coleman Jones
  • JHF refuses to take an ice bath and visits his mum
  • 9 wins in 3 years
  • Clarko signs then held off due to Hawthorn investigation
  • JHF requests trade
  • Clarko gone 9 rounds in, comes back then Ratten leaves
  • won one of last 29 games
  • that win costs North Harley Reid
  • Tarryn Thomas gone
  • Aiden Corr still 2 years to go on contract
  • rising star Jaidyn Stephenson can’t get a kick, literally
  • Simpkin knocked out, comes back can’t get a kick
  • 4 year contact for Dylan Stephens who identifies as a cat and plays like one
  • 12 wins from last 94 games
Quality Posting. :stern look

Well the curse of employing the wrong people is I suppose a curse .

As much as Archers and Steven were wonderful ambassadors for our club. They should never have been in the roles that they had.

Both are not overly bright fyi.
Yup. :stern look

I actually loved so much the team that we had in the 2010s: Wells, Higgins, Petrie, Boomer, Cunnington, Goldstein, Thompson, Firrito, Thomas, Dal Santo, Waite, Ziebell, Brown etc.

Even the whipping boys, underachievers and role players (Atley, Gibson, MacMillan, Jacobs, Wood, Nahas, Hansen, Garner, Majak, Bastinac, Grima etc.) were pretty decent footy players at different points.

That team was never quite flag quality but think about some of those talents, they were more than battlers. But yes, they were battlers - at least they battled.

I’m pining for the days of a Gibson out on the full in a 1 point loss to top four team.

Last edited:
I actually loved so much the team that we had in the 2010s: Wells, Higgins, Petrie, Boomer, Cunnington, Goldstein, Thompson, Firrito, Thomas, Dal Santo, Waite, Ziebell, Brown etc.

Even the whipping boys, underachievers and role players (Atley, Gibson, MacMillan, Nahas, Hansen, Garner, Majak, Bastinac, Grima etc.) were pretty decent footy players at different points.

That team was never quite flag quality but think about some of those talents, they were more than battlers. But yes, they were battlers - at least they battled.

I’m pining for the days of a Gibson out on the full in a 1 point loss to top four team.

And in retrospect we had next to nothing coming through afterwards as the next generation:

McDonald, Dumont, Durdin, Nielsen, Vickers-Willis, McCay, Clarke, Hibberd, Wagner, Mountford, Simpkin, Watson, Williams, LDU, Walker, Kyron Hayden.

No wonder we’ve got hardly anyone aged 24+ who’s any good

Tarryn Thomas and Clarko racism scandal were out of our control.

They both have been a large drain on the club.

Not an excuse for where we are at but doesn’t make it easy and I think we would be in a better space right now (on and off field) if they didn’t happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back