Thoughts on Your Teams Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course every club fan is going to say they're happy with their draft, it's become a bit of a cliche now.

The type of player Menzel is described as has me pretty excited. Any medium sized mid/fwd that kicks bags of goals would have a supporter rubbing their hands together. Provided he stays injury free, I think he will add much needed X factor to our side.

Don't know a lot about Temay and Graham, will have to wait and see. Hopefully they can add some depth to our midfield with some of our mids ageing.

Of the other teams, I think the Dogs, Port and Dees have done the best.

really happy with the bulldogs picks
even though their final pick before they'd started elevating was a relative unknown
but still very happy with how the first round panned out

why would i?

last time i checked weren't the ones getting bent over by the afl to the point you voluntarily give up your first 2 picks?

what was your first round selection...oh yeah thats right you didnt have one!!!! look forward to seeing who you select next year in the first round hahahahaha

Brad Crouch? Technically last years pick but coming on to our list this year for the first time. Consensus top 5 pick even after including omeara and daniher as if it was a normal draft. Who did you pick again?

Menzel is the sort of player that is a big risk, big rewards type. He is a bigger risk for some than others though.

I thought Menzel would have been worth the punt at Tigerland. He would fit really well in that forward line and brings some x-factor. Vlastutin is definitely a safe choice and will be a good player, but the Tigers I think were in a position to take a punt on Menzel as he fills a need and can be a someone to take them to another level.

Strangely enough I think Menzel wasn't a great punt by Carlton. They have a few more holes to fix on their list and not sure Menzel does that. If his knees hold up he will be great, but if they don't it will be a massive waste of a chance to fix a few problems. They just can't afford to have another first round draft choice fail.

Holes like the need for a quality small shut-down defender (such as temay) or more inside-mid depth (such as Graham) ???

And exactly which first rd choices have been failures ??? Are you refering to Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Yarran, Lucas, Watson or Bootsma ??? Murphy is a great player, Gibbs is coming off a poor season but has been a top 5 b&f finisher almost since he arrived at the club, Kreuzer is a ruckman who is coming off an ACL and still developing, Lucas has been disappointing to date but is still very young while Watson showed this season he has some serious tallent for a young KPD while Bootsma is still a skinny kid. I wouldn't exactly call any of them failures ........

Holes like the need for a quality small shut-down defender (such as temay) or more inside-mid depth (such as Graham) ???

And exactly which first rd choices have been failures ??? Are you refering to Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Yarran, Lucas, Watson or Bootsma ??? Murphy is a great player, Gibbs is coming off a poor season but has been a top 5 b&f finisher almost since he arrived at the club, Kreuzer is a ruckman who is coming off an ACL and still developing, Lucas has been disappointing to date but is still very young while Watson showed this season he has some serious tallent for a young KPD while Bootsma is still a skinny kid. I wouldn't exactly call any of them failures ........

They are all failures except Murphy and Yarran

I like the menzel selection a lot, went best available, something I wish geelong did in this draft

Collingwood absolutely cleaned up! They did great in the free agency and trade period too!

I like what Port, Bulldogs and Melbourne did as well. I love Menzel but those knees make me nervous!

I think Adelaide did very well considering the picks we had. We had shitty picks but ended up with solid prospects that also fill a need!

IMHO Port nailed a couple of picks in Wines and Clurey. That will go a long way to getting the club up and running.

I am horrified for the Dogs. Why the hell did they pass on Wines. Stringer may not address their Key position Forward needs. Big risk at No.5. People don't come back from broken legs that well. So pick 5 is a big call. Hope it turns out well. They missed a trick with Wines.

Well done to Melbourne with the couple of great gets early, but it could go horribly wrong with the state players. I think they've got their list management completly wrong. Like Voss at Brisbane early on. Neeld will learn, but not sure Melbourne will be as patient with him as Birsbane with Voss.

Collingwood would be having a party no doubt. Madness by the Hawks though it doesn't matter one bit as they have the best list in the land. Are they preparing for life after Buddy? Gold Coast and GWS domination of the draft finally over, I hope.

It would have been great if the Bombers had a live pick at 10 and we got Daniher with the second pick. Something Geelong did with Bartel and Ablett. First club to get forced in to using a top 10 pick on f/s and also first club to get affected with the priority pick changes as well in 2006. Could have got Selwood. (Though Carlton were also eligible, Carlton had a couple of goes with priority before their early first round before 06. When we were finally eligible they changed the rule). Just been bad luck.

I am horrified for the Dogs. Why the hell did they pass on Wines. Stringer may not address their Key position Forward needs. Big risk at No.5. People don't come back from broken legs that well. So pick 5 is a big call. Hope it turns out well. They missed a trick with Wines.
Because we desperately needed outside run and class, which Macrae gives us. Also had Hrovat pegged at 21, as well as Hunter, and already having Smith, Wallis, Libba as inside mids.
Stringer will also be a midfielder/forward. We didn't draft him to be a key forward.

By pick 38, I was getting very excited with both Garlett and Membrey available. Ramsay came out of no where. I was quite disspaointed we didn't take a punt on one of these guys...but pick 38 was obviously picked on a needs basis.

With Ben Johnson going, and already a void in the backline in terms of run, Ramsay fills that hole.

I reckon Ramsay will be talked in years to come as an inspired selection. Would certainly be attracting a lot more attention had he played a full season.

I thought we had finished the "Blues need KPF" phase.

Casboult
Mitchell
McCarthy

All developing key forwards standing at over 198cm tall.

In addition to

Waite
Henderson (swingman)
Hampson (pinch-hitting ruck)

Your top end is certainly better but the depth isn't

Just because you have players who are tall forwards, does not mean you have depth for this position and quality in terms of depth.

I remember pre 2006 Collingwood had guys like Brent Hall and Tristen Walker running around as "depth".

Waite isn't really a key forward. He is a flanker at best and a pretty good one at that. Very much like a Goldsack in terms of height for role.

Henderson is your CHB these days. He is as much as a swingman as Ben Reid.

Hampson is/was being played predominently as a forward but he ain't a forward a-hole. He is pretty much suited to being a ruckman which makes it interesting to see how malthouse will use-if he even chooses to use him- with Kreuzer being the main man in the ruck.

Your genuine "key forward" options are Mitchell, Rowe and Casboult. McCarthy was drafted as a defender iirc.

All these true key forwards have been injured so have had very little exposure to senior footy except Casboult who has major question marks particularly with his kicking. Strong hands but atrocious kicking style.

Mitchell looks like the best prospect available of the lot.

Derek Hine said one of the reasons why they liked Jackson Ramsay was he played against Lachie Whitfield and did a very good job in a run with role. It reminds me of the time when Collingwood recruited Leon Davis, they were very impressed with his run with role against Rhyce Shaw, who was obviously being watched closely by the club.

Derek Hine said one of the reasons why they liked Jackson Ramsay was he played against Lachie Whitfield and did a very good job in a run with role. It reminds me of the time when Collingwood recruited Leon Davis, they were very impressed with his run with role against Rhyce Shaw, who was obviously being watched closely by the club.

Apparently that's one of the reasons why EFC drafted Ashby - Played well on Whitfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope that Fremantle don't fall into the same trap like Melbourne and Carlton. Overlook talls for a number of drafts and then forced to draft 3 talls in one draft. This is a risky scenario and prone to failure.

Hope that Fremantle don't fall into the same trap like Melbourne and Carlton. Overlook talls for a number of drafts and then forced to draft 3 talls in one draft. This is a risky scenario and prone to failure.

Depends on where you are picking the talls i.e. early or late and how high-end in quality they are.

For example, Collingwood's 2006 draft, IMO, is one of the best we have been involved in. I know in 2005 we scored Thomas and Pendlebury but that's where it ended because we botched picks 21 and 23 that year too.

In 2006 we had pick 8- Ben Reid, pick 10- Nathan Brown and pick 28-Chris Dawes. Pick 64 was also Tyson Goldsack. You can argue Dawes is "average" but all these guys were our spine in the premiership season in 2010 and 2011 GF.

Our first three picks in the same draft was used on KPPs- granted two of them were in the top 10.

That year was a "deep" draft for KPPs with Gumbleton and Hansen going 2 and 3 respectively, Leuenberger at 4 and Thorp at 6.

So it can be done, just need to make sure the talent is there and you have the resources at the draft table to actually pick them wioth the right draft selections i.e normally the hig end ones are gone within the top 10-top 20 at a stretch.

Well done to Melbourne with the couple of great gets early, but it could go horribly wrong with the state players. I think they've got their list management completly wrong. Like Voss at Brisbane early on. Neeld will learn, but not sure Melbourne will be as patient with him as Birsbane with Voss.

Hard to see the comparison with Voss/Brisbane. We don't have AA players like Brown or Black, or half a dozen other players with premiership experience - in fact, until the FA/trade period, we had zero players with premiership experience.

There are only 2 state players, one for need (rebound defender) and the other for balance (taller mid). We've still taken 4 kids and a 17 year old this draft, with two rookies to come. Fairly balanced I would have thought.

Of course, as you say, it could all go haywire, but not too many on the Melbourne boards complaining.

The other big difference with Voss/Brisbane, is that he didn't have Neil Craig sitting alongside, and it's pretty clear that while Neeld's the fall guy, there's plenty of experience around him.

I reckon Ramsay will be talked in years to come as an inspired selection. Would certainly be attracting a lot more attention had he played a full season.

Agreed, he was actually my fav pic of theirs. I actually like him better than Ben Kennedy.

Considering what pick's we had to work with, I am very happy.

We added 3 good sized players who all have the ability to move into the midfield. Garner, Jacobs and Mason all 185+. All these guys were touted top 20 players at some stage of their junior career so there is definitely potential to work with. In addition we also picked up Gysberts during the trade period who is 189cm, another former first rounder.

Added to this we drafted Currie as a backup Ruck at pick 56, and Hine at 61 to cover some needs. With a speccie at 47 on Mitchell Wilkins a talented player who has had some injury interruptions.

All in all there is plenty of upside here for players picked at relatively low positions.

Just because you have players who are tall forwards, does not mean you have depth for this position and quality in terms of depth.

I remember pre 2006 Collingwood had guys like Brent Hall and Tristen Walker running around as "depth".

Waite isn't really a key forward. He is a flanker at best and a pretty good one at that. Very much like a Goldsack in terms of height for role.

Henderson is your CHB these days. He is as much as a swingman as Ben Reid.

Hampson is/was being played predominently as a forward but he ain't a forward a-hole. He is pretty much suited to being a ruckman which makes it interesting to see how malthouse will use-if he even chooses to use him- with Kreuzer being the main man in the ruck.

Your genuine "key forward" options are Mitchell, Rowe and Casboult. McCarthy was drafted as a defender iirc.

All these true key forwards have been injured so have had very little exposure to senior footy except Casboult who has major question marks particularly with his kicking. Strong hands but atrocious kicking style.

Mitchell looks like the best prospect available of the lot.

First Waite is a key forward. Take a look at his stats if you'd like. He averages a high number of contested marks, marks in general and goals. He may look like a flanker to you, but he plays with a KPD on him, he takes big marks and he kicks goals. He can't stay on the park, as many running jokes will tell you, but he's a key forward

Second the post in question asked why Carlton didn't draft for needs ie: Jaksch, and my point was that we already had several prospects lining up to attend that need, whether or not they are successful does not affect that drafting Jaksch would only leave him waiting 4th or so in line and probably well over three years, before he got his shot. Drafting a need who will be at the back of the pack and is 2-3 development years behind where we need him to be makes no sense.

The comparison to Collingwood was a point to prove that despite having one of the best KPF in the league, you haven't got other prospects lining up like we are supposed to, to immediately fill a void

I think I see a lot of Lance Franklin in the way he moves when he runs and takes them on and I love that he has such a huge leap and willingness to fly for big pack marks or screamers (and that he apparently pulls a lot of them down). Another thing I love is his run-up when kicking for goal. So rhythmical and relaxed and I'm not surprised that he kicked 36 goals 12 behinds this year.

If he puts it all together and has a relatively injury free career (and stays on top of his asthma), touch wood, then he could have a massive impact at AFL level.

First Waite is a key forward. Take a look at his stats if you'd like. He averages a high number of contested marks, marks in general and goals. He may look like a flanker to you, but he plays with a KPD on him, he takes big marks and he kicks goals. He can't stay on the park, as many running jokes will tell you, but he's a key forward

Second the post in question asked why Carlton didn't draft for needs ie: Jaksch, and my point was that we already had several prospects lining up to attend that need, whether or not they are successful does not affect that drafting Jaksch would only leave him waiting 4th or so in line and probably well over three years, before he got his shot. Drafting a need who will be at the back of the pack and is 2-3 development years behind where we need him to be makes no sense.

The comparison to Collingwood was a point to prove that despite having one of the best KPF in the league, you haven't got other prospects lining up like we are supposed to, to immediately fill a void

Stats are misleading. He plays tall but Waite isn't a true KPF. He is a very good player but he is more a second/third tall flanker who can push high up the ground and use his athletic traits to do damage. he does struggle to stay on the park though which is a major concern. Will be interesting to see how he is managed under Malthouse.

I have no issue with Carlton overlooking Jacksh or any other tall. That wasn't the reason behind my post.

I think I see a lot of Lance Franklin in the way he moves when he runs and takes them on and I love that he has such a huge leap and willingness to fly for big pack marks or screamers (and that he apparently pulls a lot of them down). Another thing I love is his run-up when kicking for goal. So rhythmical and relaxed and I'm not surprised that he kicked 36 goals 12 behinds this year.

If he puts it all together and has a relatively injury free career (and stays on top of his asthma), touch wood, then he could have a massive impact at AFL level.

i wish he could teach roo his ball drop. looks really good.

i wish he could teach roo his ball drop. looks really good.
That's another one of the things I'm loving about those we've drafted for the forward line in the last 3 drafts. Some of them are extremely accurate when shooting for goal. Arryn Siposs two years ago, Ahmed Saad last year and both Tom Lee and Spencer White were exceptionally accurate this year. There's not much worse from a footy POV than having someone get a lot of the footy up forward, but then spray their shots for goal all over creation.

Stats are misleading. He plays tall but Waite isn't a true KPF. He is a very good player but he is more a second/third tall flanker who can push high up the ground and use his athletic traits to do damage. he does struggle to stay on the park though which is a major concern. Will be interesting to see how he is managed under Malthouse.

I have no issue with Carlton overlooking Jacksh or any other tall. That wasn't the reason behind my post.

So what makes a true KPF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back