Thoughts on Your Teams Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get some of the negativity directed at Conca in this thread.
I think he's been very good for someone who has just completed his second season of AFL footy.
Still has some weight to put on and some endurance to build.
Was nominated for the rising star in his first season after the dreamtime game in which he played great in front of 83,500 people.
I think this whole bagging of Richmond's recruiting is getting a bit old, especially seeing as we have been quite good since Dimma's arrival.

Conca's not terrible, he'll be a solid player, but BF has an obsession with potential and bagging people.

Because Conca was 'reached' on a bit, he's an easy target. Will likely be a 150-200 game player which is no easy acheivement. He suited a need and the Tigers went for him because he wasn't gonna be there at their next.

I wouldn't have picked him there, but haters gon hate.

Port the big winners for me. Pies did well. Melbourne did well being gifted Viney and Toumpas. I'm relatively happy with our draft also, all depends on how Stringer comes back from his injury.

Just after he said Post will be at the Lions in 2013. :D:p:thumbsu:

If the "source" in question on Polec was the post on this board, that guy was claiming to be Polec's father's accountant's son. Always a trustworthy source, even ignoring that there was no way to confirm even that. :D

Richmond h
Don't get some of the negativity directed at Conca in this thread.
I think he's been very good for someone who has just completed his second season of AFL footy.
Still has some weight to put on and some endurance to build.
Was nominated for the rising star in his first season after the dreamtime game in which he played great in front of 83,500 people.
I think this whole bagging of Richmond's recruiting is getting a bit old, especially seeing as we have been quite good since Dimma's arrival.
Richmond have been very conservative with their first-rounders of late. Took the dependable, but not brilliant Conca - and followed that by overlooking Menzel this year. This will build depth, but it robs the club of potential stars.

Richmond h
Richmond have been very conservative with their first-rounders of late. Took the dependable, but not brilliant Conca - and followed that by overlooking Menzel this year. This will build depth, but it robs the club of potential stars.

You are correct.
In terms of stars though, I think Dustin Martin was a very good pick in Dimma's first year.
Obviously we have Cotch and Lids too.
I do think we need one more explosive talent who can win a game off 5 disposals though.

Absolutely agree you don't pass on a gun and you take best available.....unless the gun has dodgy knees. If his LARS knees give out and he doesn't play 50 games its a disaster. When you could have got a guy like Jaksch who in a few years will fill the massive void in your forward line.

The Pies have always used higher picks to fix needs. Pendles & Thomas sorted the midfield. Reid & Brown the defence. Numerous picks used to fix our rucks.

At some point the Blues need to put some balance in their list.
Menzel has had LARS surgery on one knee, not both. He suffered a PCL injury to the other knee. Both injuries were collision injuries, not lateral injuries, whereas his brother's injuries have been lateral.

LoL.As if you,d know if he was in the Doggies calculations or not.:rolleyes:

As if you'd know he was.

All the talk on our board - and we have some well connected posters - suggested O'Rourke, Plowman, Macrae and primarily stringer were our targets.

This is a picture that makes me as a Dogs fan happy. Two potential key players at either end of the ground, Stringer and Talia. Hoping we put everything we can into developing this crop right.

574481_10151271868327487_1966724565_n.jpg

By all reports stringer has already snapped Jarrad Grant in half during a "half speed" tackling drill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond h

Not conservative, specific, and smart, we target players who specifically fill a need and go for them. What's the point in drafting a flashy medium forward when our most pressing need was for an inside mid?

Ditto Conca, we needed a midfielder who could provide us with outside run, and, whilst Conca isn't explosively quick, his lateral movement, and ability to find a target in tight situations is very good, his link up work through the midfield is also very good.

I'd rather roll the dice on Menzel than get a vanilla mid-late first round player

I think you underestimate the talent available when it came to your first pick. However those in the know suggest Menzel will be an absolute steal if he stays on the park. Hope he stays healthy and we get to see the best of him. Richmond need depth (rather than high risk, high reward) more than most clubs, so that's apparently what we drafted for in Vlas. Hope both players meet the expectations of their clubs.

The GWS one. Wasn't he a done deal, about 2 months ago?
Tyson? I have no idea if someone said it's a done deal but he certainly was desperate to get out. Richmond told him to take the tweets down about playing for Richmond because it was about a 10% chance of us being able to get a deal done and he shouldn't burn his bridges up there when in all likelihood he was going to be stuck there till next year.

He'll come home next year. It's up to us to stay in his ear about playing for Richmond and hope no one else convinces him to go to them instead.

Tyson? I have no idea if someone said it's a done deal but he certainly was desperate to get out. Richmond told him to take the tweets down about playing for Richmond because it was about a 10% chance of us being able to get a deal done and he shouldn't burn his bridges up there when in all likelihood he was going to be stuck there till next year.

He'll come home next year. It's up to us to stay in his ear about playing for Richmond and hope no one else convinces him to go to them instead.
So it's not a done deal, but he will, no doubt, come home. Not quite as bad as UpTheGuts but heading along the same path.
Either way, my point was that said poster, and their "Post for <....> trade", is now a running joke on the Brissie board... would've thought they'd realise that it might be better to refrain, on certain topics.

Not conservative, specific, and smart, we target players who specifically fill a need and go for them. What's the point in drafting a flashy medium forward when our most pressing need was for an inside mid?

Ditto Conca, we needed a midfielder who could provide us with outside run, and, whilst Conca isn't explosively quick, his lateral movement, and ability to find a target in tight situations is very good, his link up work through the midfield is also very good.

Richmond badly needs depth, but it's a strange policy to get it via first-rounders. You badly need a decent second target and many draft-watchers say Menzel could become the best player from this draft. Secondly, you could have got (better) outside run from Heppell or a brilliant secondary target in Darling - but the Tigers played it too safe.

Thought the only one the Tigs could've/should've seriously considered is Grundy - they've got a ruck squad of about 1, and he looks serious quality & pretty close to playing as well. I would agree that they've been erring towards the conservative with their early picks, but that's not such a bad thing IMHO. Essendon have certainly been getting more conservative the last 4-5 years as well.

Thought the only one the Tigs could've/should've seriously considered is Grundy - they've got a ruck squad of about 1, and he looks serious quality & pretty close to playing as well.
Agree. Ruck is where we probably have the least amount of depth and Grundy is widely tipped to eventually make 1st Ruck his own.

Absolutely agree you don't pass on a gun and you take best available.....unless the gun has dodgy knees. If his LARS knees give out and he doesn't play 50 games its a disaster. When you could have got a guy like Jaksch who in a few years will fill the massive void in your forward line.

The Pies have always used higher picks to fix needs. Pendles & Thomas sorted the midfield. Reid & Brown the defence. Numerous picks used to fix our rucks.

At some point the Blues need to put some balance in their list.
Whatever happened to that Joel Selwood guy who had four knee operations before he was drafted?

We've still got at least 142 games out of Walker who had no injury concerns pre-draft, only to have a lot of shoulder troubles prior to having the Bristow-Latarjet operation.

Not sure the list lacks balance if you make a team of players who were born after 1988.

FB: Tuohy - Watson - Laidler
HB: Yarran - McCarthy - Bootsma
C: Temay - Graham - Lucas
HF: Bell - Henderson - Menzel
FF: Garlett - Mitchell - Buckley
R: Kreuzer - Gibbs - Robinson

I/C: Curnow - O'Keeffe - McInnes - Casboult

Emerg: Dale - Ellard - Joseph - Davies

We could do with a Wines, Caddy, Vlastuin or David Swallow to give us a potential gun centreman with Judd 30 next year.

Thought the only one the Tigs could've/should've seriously considered is Grundy - they've got a ruck squad of about 1, and he looks serious quality & pretty close to playing as well. I would agree that they've been erring towards the conservative with their early picks, but that's not such a bad thing IMHO. Essendon have certainly been getting more conservative the last 4-5 years as well.

Essendon has, but not to the same extent as Richmond of late. Overlooking Menzel has all the hallmarks of us overlooking Rioli for Myers IMO.

Essendon has, but not to the same extent as Richmond of late. Overlooking Menzel has all the hallmarks of us overlooking Rioli for Myers IMO.
What hallmarks?
We didn't take Rioli because 3 of our 6 picks the previous year were small forwards. Richmond certainly have a spot there (now and in the future) for either another midfielder, or a half-forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back