Opinion Who DON'T you want your team to draft? 2022 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Tsatas. I don't like the sound of a midfielder who accumulates by getting on the move early and anticipating where the ball will be. That's exactly what Essendon has too much of with Parish, Merrett and Shiel. The midfield needs someone who can absorb physical pressure. Tsatas being 186cm is pretty irrelevant considering he hasn't demonstrated that ability to stand up in or break tackles unless he's already running. Even though he's played inside, he's looked a bit panicky/easily ragdolled. Regardless of height, they're not a big bodied mid if they don't use their strength and size as an advantage.

Similar reservations about his defensive side. I don't fully believe that it can simply be taught - it's one of those things like endurance running or putting muscle on a narrow/lightly built frame where some people say you can train for it, but it doesn't really happen. If he doesn't have defensive instincts, it's highly unlikely to ever be a strongpoint, and even if he did demonstrate or develop strong defensive discipline, it sounds like it would necessarily detract from his offensive game.

He can surely succeed in some teams, but Essendon badly needs to learn from the mistakes it's made in building a serious midfield.

Also despite being from Victoria the go home factor is so strong these days I would be cautious selecting a Geelong Falcons player.

They are not the Geelong Falcons….. they are the Geelong Pigeons.

Anyone who isn't a bug bodied mid.

Anyone who isn't a bug bodied mid.

happy a bugs life GIF by Disney Pixar

First time in a long time im not too bothered
Best of the top 5 left
Clark
Humphrey/phillipou
Split the pick.

Probably leaning towards not wanting us to trade 22 up with future collateral, and prefer to trade out into 23.
Give scott a year with the list and more to work with next year.

Tsatas. I don't like the sound of a midfielder who accumulates by getting on the move early and anticipating where the ball will be. That's exactly what Essendon has too much of with Parish, Merrett and Shiel. The midfield needs someone who can absorb physical pressure. Tsatas being 186cm is pretty irrelevant considering he hasn't demonstrated that ability to stand up in or break tackles unless he's already running. Even though he's played inside, he's looked a bit panicky/easily ragdolled. Regardless of height, they're not a big bodied mid if they don't use their strength and size as an advantage.

Similar reservations about his defensive side. I don't fully believe that it can simply be taught - it's one of those things like endurance running or putting muscle on a narrow/lightly built frame where some people say you can train for it, but it doesn't really happen. If he doesn't have defensive instincts, it's highly unlikely to ever be a strongpoint, and even if he did demonstrate or develop strong defensive discipline, it sounds like it would necessarily detract from his offensive game.

He can surely succeed in some teams, but Essendon badly needs to learn from the mistakes it's made in building a serious midfield.
What about Hobbs, Caldwell and Setterfield?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh I'm not dead against anyone. Seems likely we will pick up 2 of Ginbey, Hewett or Busslinger.

I do have a suspicion that Phillipou will be a bust. I think some ppl get giddy with young tall midfielders and automatically think Bont. Happy to be wrong, just a hunch.

For every Bont and Cripps there's a Hately or Collier-Dawkins

Tbh I'm not dead against anyone. Seems likely we will pick up 2 of Ginbey, Hewett or Busslinger.

I do have a suspicion that Phillipou will be a bust. I think some ppl get giddy with young tall midfielders and automatically think Bont. Happy to be wrong, just a hunch.

Can I ask based on that logic why Ginbey won't be a bust?

Kemp is the one I keep thinking of when people bring up Phillipou. Still early days but he's looking a mile off where Bont was at that age, making the comparisons even more laughable.

Kemp is coming from a long way back with injury but will be best 22 from here on imo.

Is not going to be the star midfielder we had originally hoped for but he will be a decent third tall utility in time.

Reckon Philipou is good enough forward of centre to not be a bust, but not sure he has the production to be a full time midfielder. Hately and RCD types are useless because they don’t have a second position.

Kemp is coming from a long way back with injury but will be best 22 from here on imo.

Is not going to be the star midfielder we had originally hoped for but he will be a decent third tall utility in time.

Reckon Philipou is good enough forward of centre to not be a bust, but not sure he has the production to be a full time midfielder. Hately and RCD types are useless because they don’t have a second position.
If those 190cm mid types aren't gun overhead marks the bust factor is way higher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back