Thoughts on Your Teams Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad we got a match winner in Menzel. The kid has all the tricks already, which is a bonus. Can't wait to see him win us a few matches off his own boot.

Was surprised about Geelong, but you can't really argue against their record can you?

Without sounding like a troll, I am glad Richmond are into reaching a few spots and getting "their man". Think Menzel would have really complemented their forward line.

Vlastuin wasn't a 'reach' at all, touted top5 throughout the year, we got him at 9, Menzel, whilst a talent, has knee issues, and unless he can play that hard nugget inside midfield type role then no he doesn't suit our needs, lets not forget Tuck is pushing on in age and will need to be replaced, we also have Foley with his injury concerns as well.

When your only true inside midfielder is Brock Mclean, you have to question why your club would again pick another Kane Lucas type player.

Your club didn't know that it'd have three first rounders at that point, given it was done before trade week.

All things considered, if Collingwood could have known that they would've picked up first rounders for both Wellingham and Dawes they probably would've nominated Stewart and not worried if they took him with a late second or late third round pick. As it is, they erred on the side of caution and fair enough. Same with Hawthorn last year with Curran.
Collingwood were only ever going to take the 3-4 players in the draft before trade week, so it means the recruiting staff didn't rate him higher than the 3rd round pick. It currently looks like the Pies might have missed out on Stewart because GWS selected him with pick 27, but the Pies wouldn't have matched that anyway (would have been their 2nd round pick) had they put him up for a F/S selection. It will be interesting to see how he turns out however.

Very happy with our draft. Grundy & Kennedy are more than handy. I am warming to Broomhead, he will be a good player although a touch disappointed we passed on Hrovat. Ramsay had an injury interupted season and may have flown under the radar, but is a solid "Hine" pick, but once again - like seemingly everyone with later picks - I am disappointed no Garlett.

Outside us I think:
-Port did great with the picks they had. Wines is perfect and Shaw & Clurey are great key posi gets that late.

- The Dogs are the obvious winners 3 outstanding players & leaders, they will build a great team around them. Although they went past some talls that they need I think the best available policy in their case worked a treat.

-Sydney I think did their usual excellent picks for what they had - and for the immediate future. With these picks & if they land Tippett they will be well & truly improving a premiership team. Towers is ready to play and gives them good depth - will impact like Isaac Smith did for the Hawks. Membrey is a steal and wil work well in their forward line straight away, he will be super dangerous on the small SCG. Dick & Marsh are also excellent choices.

Vlastuin wasn't a 'reach' at all, touted top5 throughout the year, we got him at 9, Menzel, whilst a talent, has knee issues, and unless he can play that hard nugget inside midfield type role then no he doesn't suit our needs, lets not forget Tuck is pushing on in age and will need to be replaced, we also have Foley with his injury concerns as well.

When your only true inside midfielder is Brock Mclean, you have to question why your club would again pick another Kane Lucas type player.

Menzel is the sort of player that is a big risk, big rewards type. He is a bigger risk for some than others though.

I thought Menzel would have been worth the punt at Tigerland. He would fit really well in that forward line and brings some x-factor. Vlastutin is definitely a safe choice and will be a good player, but the Tigers I think were in a position to take a punt on Menzel as he fills a need and can be a someone to take them to another level.

Strangely enough I think Menzel wasn't a great punt by Carlton. They have a few more holes to fix on their list and not sure Menzel does that. If his knees hold up he will be great, but if they don't it will be a massive waste of a chance to fix a few problems. They just can't afford to have another first round draft choice fail.

Strangely enough I think Menzel wasn't a great punt by Carlton. They have a few more holes to fix on their list and not sure Menzel does that. If his knees hold up he will be great, but if they don't it will be a massive waste of a chance to fix a few problems. They just can't afford to have another first round draft choice fail.
Another?

Using your rational, the Pies should have drafted Ryder/Kennedy/Clark and Pendlebury to get a KPF or a ruck and a mid to fix what were their problems.

You don't pass on a gun if one you rate falls in your lap like Grundy.

We know our list better than outsiders. Our list still lacks another classy medium who can finish and hit players on the tit if Gibbs is forced to go back. The thought of Gibbs, Yarran, Murphy, Garlett, Walker and Menzel in our half of the ground makes me *edited for decency*. It's a win if Menzel plays instead of Collins who should be re-drafted.

Chris Pelchin needs to be banned from the draft or limited to 1 extra time per year. Tool.

as opposed to adelaide fc and trigg that will be banned for years to come....

maybe adelaide should have taken the extra, st kilda did, to go over tippetts contract

as opposed to adelaide fc and trigg that will be banned for years to come....

maybe adelaide should have taken the extra, st kilda did, to go over tippetts contract
Apply 2-3 times daily

Zoidberg_Butthurt-Cream_lg.jpg

Another?

Using your rational, the Pies should have drafted Ryder/Kennedy/Clark and Pendlebury to get a KPF or a ruck and a mid to fix what were their problems.

You don't pass on a gun if one you rate falls in your lap like Grundy.

We know our list better than outsiders. Our list still lacks another classy medium who can finish and hit players on the tit if Gibbs is forced to go back. The thought of Gibbs, Yarran, Murphy, Garlett, Walker and Menzel in our half of the ground makes me *edited for decency*. It's a win if Menzel plays instead of Collins who should be re-drafted.

Absolutely agree you don't pass on a gun and you take best available.....unless the gun has dodgy knees. If his LARS knees give out and he doesn't play 50 games its a disaster. When you could have got a guy like Jaksch who in a few years will fill the massive void in your forward line.

The Pies have always used higher picks to fix needs. Pendles & Thomas sorted the midfield. Reid & Brown the defence. Numerous picks used to fix our rucks.

At some point the Blues need to put some balance in their list.

Apply 2-3 times daily

Zoidberg_Butthurt-Cream_lg.jpg

why would i?

last time i checked weren't the ones getting bent over by the afl to the point you voluntarily give up your first 2 picks?

what was your first round selection...oh yeah thats right you didnt have one!!!! look forward to seeing who you select next year in the first round hahahahaha

Absolutely agree you don't pass on a gun and you take best available.....unless the gun has dodgy knees. If his LARS knees give out and he doesn't play 50 games its a disaster. When you could have got a guy like Jaksch who in a few years will fill the massive void in your forward line.

The Pies have always used higher picks to fix needs. Pendles & Thomas sorted the midfield. Reid & Brown the defence. Numerous picks used to fix our rucks.

Firstly those players indicated were basically best available at that selection, Collingwood didn't pass up a more talented player in that situation, Carlton would have had to overlook Menzel who was best available at their pick. Also your opinion on their list being 'imbalanced' is a common misinterpretation made by the uninformed and usually the outside world, 25% of Carlton's list is 190cm plus. To be fair a lot of them are young and have been selected in recent drafts meaning you would be unfamiliar with a lot of them. Carlton's main priority was to add another midfielder and that is what they did.

Happy with the two key position forwards we got. Not that we needed anymore though! :p:)

Tim O'Brien 193cm
Kaiden Brand 198cm
Roughead 193cm
Franklin 196cm
Gunston 193cm

O'Brien and Brand to take over the forward positions of Franklin and Roughead by 2018. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we had finished the "Blues need KPF" phase.

Casboult
Mitchell
McCarthy

All developing key forwards standing at over 198cm tall.

In addition to

Waite
Henderson (swingman)
Hampson (pinch-hitting ruck)

How would picking up a kid who won't perform at AFL level for three years advance this position?

To contrast we have Collingwood with:

Cloke
Lynch

As established key forwards

But the depth is:

Paine
Goldsack (at a stretch, more of a third tall, although an effective one)
Grundy (Definitely a ruck first)
Gault

Your top end is certainly better but the depth isn't

The doggies were also solid, although a key defender like clurey at 21 would have been a better fit for them than hrovat IMO.

We drafted two key defenders last year. One of those being the under 18 AA centre half back.

Edit: three if you include rookie draft picks and Mark Austin.

Vlastuin wasn't a 'reach' at all, touted top5 throughout the year,

Trust me, I support a team who had a pick in the top five and Vlastuin was never mentioned at all in calculations.

At the beginning of the season he was. And probably all the way up until mid-season he was.

Which club was he linked to out of Melb or GWS because I can't recall him ever being in our sights.

I thought we had finished the "Blues need KPF" phase.

Casboult
Mitchell
McCarthy

All developing key forwards standing at over 198cm tall.

In addition to

Waite
Henderson (swingman)
Hampson (pinch-hitting ruck)

How would picking up a kid who won't perform at AFL level for three years advance this position?

To contrast we have Collingwood with:

Cloke
Lynch

As established key forwards

But the depth is:

Paine
Goldsack (at a stretch, more of a third tall, although an effective one)
Grundy (Definitely a ruck first)
Gault

Your top end is certainly better but the depth isn't

wait a sec is that the same depth that had you losing to gold coast and port this season

hate to say it but Collingwoods three SA picks were exceptional value - Grundy the best ruckman in the draft, Kenned the best small forward and Broomhead probably the most underated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back