Autopsy Three things you learned from round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

And if it was the other way around McMouth would have abused him

I'm quite sure McVeigh would have chided himself twice as hard for his lack of judgement. Besides, he's earned the right to screw up, as he rarely does it. Macca's a vocal and demanding leader but he's demanding on himself just as much. Leadership is, despite the PC society we live in, sometimes harsh by necessity and telling it like it is the harshest of all. Not everyone joe-average responds to it. These days criticism is a bad word. "You didn't screw up Johnny, you just did less better than your betty bet best, but here's a gold medal for trying." Anyone playing at AFL level will be man enough to take on board criticism and use it constructively. Honest, immediate criticism is the most effective form of feedback. It takes experience to recognise that and learn from it, rather than getting pissed off. These guys can do that. It smarts but they'd appreciate it and try to respond accordingly. They live in a world of reality. Let's not drag the nanny state any further into Footy.

One loss and we're stuck into our coach, our captain.....talk about babies and bath water.

Some fans are throwing in the towel quicker than the team. It's round one fercryingoutloud.
Has nothing to do with round 1 whatsoever. Sydney couldn't beat any of the top 4 teams last year, and only beat 3 of the top 8. So that's the situation until evidence is produced to the contrary, and it sure wasn't against GWS.

The thing about the leadership group is that such a large part of it is off field.

The few hours we see every weekend is such a small part of the player's week (albeit the most important part) so someone you may not see as a great on-field leader may be something else entirely the rest of the week.

Last year Gary Lyon banged on a lot about how during one pre-game warm up Everitt had a miss or fumble during hand-passing drills and when he went to the back of the line McVeigh pulled him back to the front and handed him the ball back. You do this until you get it right.

I have to admit I did chortle at "McMouth" though hehe.

Last edited:
As for the things I learnt:

1. A team that looks great on paper doesn't mean much at all.
2. I miss Mummy, and I agree I think Pyke will need help.
3. The team is missing some of this:

1. As good as he is, it cannot be left to Reece Shaw to deliver inside 50.
2. The players are human, and AJ doing his knee again 3 hours before the game must have left them flat as f***.
3. At the moment it's stop Kennedy, stop Sydney.

Ok I've decided to have my say ....

1: Maybe we have been a little bit conned by the club here, we have been led to believe that with the exception of Goodes, Tippett and Walsh we are an extremely healthy list however we didn't play like we were healthy and players like Buddy, LRT and Pyke who have had interrupted pre-seasons looked underdone as the match went on plus KJ waking up and not being able to get out of bed on match day just doesn't happen over night!

2: It doesn't matter if he is slow, we actually missed ROK toughness and competitiveness (especially with KJ out) in the middle of the ground when the game was there to be won, by the time he got on they were already on a winning roll. There is a fine line in the cross over between youthful exuberance, pre-season form and footy smarts, toughness and experience.

3: We are perennial slow starters to a season but given the events of 2nd half of last season and this game I am beginning to question if we have lost out mental toughness and ability to grind out a game even if we aren't playing well.

Im not bagging the coach, im bagging McMouth and i'll continue to as long as he's bagging his own players when he himself wont put his head over the footy.

I was generalising there. Apologies if it seemed I was singling you out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They all need to get rid of the rediculous beards.
With that heavy rain, how on earth does a player cope with having to deal with a soaking wet beard.
With many athletes in any sports looking to gain an advantage anywhere they can, be it by shaving down or by taking performance enhancing drugs, how in the f..k can having such beards in such a physically demanding game be of any advantage.
When Buddy dropped that mark, did the beard give him any advantage?

Take Dalhouse of the Doggies. He wants to get serious this year. He's cut off that hair that he was always fiddling with and now he has one less distraction on field. He can just play footy.
Trim them down boys or shave them off all together.

They all need to get rid of the rediculous beards.
With that heavy rain, how on earth does a player cope with having to deal with a soaking wet beard.
With many athletes in any sports looking to gain an advantage anywhere they can, be it by shaving down or by taking performance enhancing drugs, how in the f..k can having such beards in such a physically demanding game be of any advantage.
When Buddy dropped that mark, did the beard give him any advantage?

Take Dalhouse of the Doggies. He wants to get serious this year. He's cut off that hair that he was always fiddling with and now he has one less distraction on field. He can just play footy.
Trim them down boys or shave them off all together.

Do you honestly think forcing them to wear a facial hair style they don't want to is going to improve team morale and cohesion?

It's a ******* beard. We won a Premiership with Melcho, Shaw, Jetta, Mummy and others all sporting big ones. Just leave it.

Do you honestly think forcing them to wear a facial hair style they don't want to is going to improve team morale and cohesion?

It's a ******* beard. We won a Premiership with Melcho, Shaw, Jetta, Mummy and others all sporting big ones. Just leave it.

Yeah I do honestly think!
Even thought so in 2012.
It's a ******* BIG beard. They get paid big bucks. Trim down the beards.
If you personally like looking at them as a fashion statement while they're out having a coffee, then no probs.
They'll go soon!
Watch!

Yeah I do honestly think!
Even thought so in 2012.
It's a ******* BIG beard. They get paid big bucks. Trim down the beards.
If you personally like looking at them as a fashion statement while they're out having a coffee, then no probs.
They'll go soon!
Watch!

What's the link between the players being paid well and them consequently needing to trim their beards?

No problem folks. I respect your thoughts...............................obviously a few big beards among you.

I don't like them while we're losing.
Win & they can do whatever the f..k they like.
But win!

I agree with Ted its about being uniform a unit one team being a big knob head look at me individual standout goes against everything the Bloods stand for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back