Media TIF talks... Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

OU2TjQD.png

dTyRkAh.png

Rookies.

Ask anyone who knows me, and they’ll tell you I’ve always said rookies are the lifeblood of our competition. They are extremely very important and relevant to me and moreso the league and deserve centre stage in the Sweet FA arena.

And I’ve always said that.

And yes, this is a TiFmedia stats thread. And no, I probably haven’t done a stats thread before. Not a proper one anyway.

But TiF, shouldn’t this be a “TiF Stats Production” or something like that? Like all the other stats media threads? Well the answer to that my friends is...

Well yeah probably. But no, no it’s not that type of thread folks.

Now it goes without saying, this piece wouldn’t have come about without the tireless work and incredible gift of
Sweet FA+(plus) that Hate has bestowed on all of us to make almost any analytical statistics heavy media these days. But it should be said over and over because Hate is a king amongst men and should be thanked in every single media piece that leverages his resource. Thank you Hate, you superstar you.

Where was I? Yes, stats. AND rookies.

Also clubs, and seasons. And the league. Retention, maybe a pinch of expansion, and graphs. Lots and lots of graphs. Mostly bars. And numbers, but mainly, graphs. Bar graphs to be precise.

JhlvO8q.png

Now when I started this bit, I set out wanting to see if there was a correlation between an increase in rookie fascination and celebration via the Rising Star Award grandiosity, and a decrease in said rookies’ loyalty to the clubs who recruited them courtesy of their newfound celebrity status. It looked to me like it was becoming ‘a thing’ but then the Rising Star ded and then there wasn't, and now it wasn’t. Well, not worthy of a media piece dissecting & scrutinising it anyway.

So where I’ve kinda ended up with this now is actually something strikingly similar to Dav’s rookie retention piece a few seasons back, which I guess is part homage, part tribute... all stats. And graphs. Lots of graphs.

So I’ve compiled some data on recruitment in the modern era (post S24), to take a closer look at rookie retention primarily, whether it be to the league and/or to their club. I think you’ll find this may discount some long held urban myths regarding certain clubs i.e Bombers & Bears recruit too many and keep too few, the Gumbies do neither well at all etc. The league - i.e a dramatic increase in rookie recruitment and interest in the league that demanded expansion, that the Rising Star Award has been a key driving force behind rookie retention and so on and so forth.

Oh and these are real numbers. Not s**t stirring numbers. I could have used s**t stirring numbers which would have the same effect, but I didn’t think of that until now did I?

Welcome to my TiF Talk.

Last edited:

It looked to me like it was becoming ‘a thing’ but then the Rising Star ded and then there wasn't, and now it wasn’t. Well, not worthy of a media piece dissecting & scrutinising it anyway.
Does this paragraph also come in English? I am very interested.

TiF talks... Rookies - League
dTyRkAh.png

I8uvkgR.png

THE LEAGUE
You wanted graphs, well you got 'em.

Looking at Rookies by season from a whole of League recruitment perspective firstly, I've taken a look at overall recruited rookies since S24 by season.

Have then gone a step further and broken that down into Average rookies per club to observe the trend in recruitment up to and through into the modern post expansion era.

And then lastly have taken a closer look to understand just how well we are retaining those rookies as a competition into their third season by looking at Retention by Season, as this gives us a reasonable sample size between S24 & S34 to gauge retention in the modern era, as that S34 crop is in the midst of their third seasons in the Sweet FA.

lfbF9ge.png

m9RnbxE.png

Uw5jM3d.png

xQFbicq.png

So over to some more detail and observations taken away from the above.
  • Average rookies per club has seen a steady decline from an outlier peak of 4.2 in S26, down to just 2.3 per club in the past two seasons after a slight bump with the Old Boys arrival. The lowest levels in the modern era.
  • The first time expansion reared it’s head in the modern era leading into S30, the intake that season was the lowest of any season between S24 & S33
  • The average rookie intake per season since S24 is 33.8, however removing the outlier of S26 it sits at a more accurate 32.5 per season.
  • Retention of rookies into their third season has improved significantly since S32, with each season between S32 & S34 averaging a higher retention rate then any season prior, with a sustained trend of 68.5%. It’s interesting to note that this runs counter to the belief that the Rising Star Award has had a significant impact on rookie engagement & retention having peaked as a concept between S28-S31ish.
  • Even removing the outlier of S26’s whopping intake of 50 rookies that season, the average rookie intake has dropped to 31.3 per season since S34, down from an average of 32.8 per season prior to expansion.
  • S32 saw the highest level of rookie retention into their third season since S24, with an impressive 72.7% of the S32 crop making it through.

Last edited:
dTyRkAh.png

THE LEAGUE

Looking at Rookies by season from a whole of League recruitment perspective firstly, I've taken a look at overall recruited rookies since S24 by season.

Have then gone a step further and broken that down into Average rookies per club to observe the trend in recruitment up to and through into the modern post expansion era.

And then lastly have taken a closer look to understand just how well we are retaining those rookies as a competition into their third season by looking at Retention by Season, as this gives us a reasonable sample size between S24 & S34 to gauge retention in the modern era, as that S34 crop is in the midst of their third seasons in the Sweet FA.

lfbF9ge.png

m9RnbxE.png

Uw5jM3d.png

xQFbicq.png

• Average rookies per club has seen a steady decline from an outlier peak of 4.2 in S26, down to just 2.3 per club in the past two seasons after a slight bump with the Old Boys arrival. The lowest levels in the modern era.
  • The first time expansion reared it’s head in the modern era leading into S30, the intake that season was the lowest of any season between S24 & S33
  • The average rookie intake per season since S24 is 33.8, however removing the outlier of S26 it sits at a more accurate 32.5 per season.
  • Retention of rookies into their third season has improved significantly since S32, with each season between S32 & S34 averaging a higher retention rate then any season prior, with a sustained trend of 68.5%. It’s interesting to note that this runs counter to the belief that the Rising Star Award has had a significant impact on rookie engagement & retention having peaked as a concept between S28-S31ish.
  • Even removing the outlier of S26’s whopping intake of 50 rookies that season, the average rookie intake has dropped to 31.3 per season since S34, down from an average of 32.8 per season prior to expansion.
  • S32 saw the highest level of rookie retention into their third season since S24, with an impressive 72.7% of the S32 crop making it through.
Wasn't season 26 the one where (was it) Dingster went to ever club board and just recruited people to teams?

Ripping yarn, Tiffy.

Appreciate it.

IMG_6926.jpeg

dTyRkAh.png

THE LEAGUE

lfbF9ge.png

m9RnbxE.png

Uw5jM3d.png

xQFbicq.png

It would be interesting to see beez votes attained by each of those rookie classes over the course of their first 2-3 seasons. I suspect there'll be a sharp drop off after S31.

It would be interesting to see beez votes attained by each of those rookie classes over the course of their first 2-3 seasons. I suspect there'll be a sharp drop off after S31.
I did go through that actually in terms of beez winners, but could definitely pull that together at some point. 👍

Even top 3 or top 5 finishers would tell a tale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't season 26 the one where (was it) Dingster went to ever club board and just recruited people to teams?
Not sure to be honest, was our rookie season.

Dingster is a world class groomer tho, can you confirm, handsome??

dTyRkAh.png

THE LEAGUE

lfbF9ge.png

m9RnbxE.png

Uw5jM3d.png

xQFbicq.png

You DELIBERATELY excluded S23 because I ******* dominated, typical.

I did go through that actually in terms of beez winners, but could definitely pull that together at some point. 👍

There are only 2 EKA winners that have gone on to become beez winners. Absolute royalty.

dTyRkAh.png

THE LEAGUE

lfbF9ge.png

m9RnbxE.png

Uw5jM3d.png

xQFbicq.png

S32 was a great Rookie group

Yeah, but I actively try and NOT get votes in that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back