Media TIF talks... Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

dTyRkAh.png

a6awUev.png

PLAYERS

And lastly, a look at some statistical quirks from a player perspective.

As I said at the start, the initial premise I wished to test was that club hopping had increased, due in part to an era where rookie PMs became en vogue and the Rising Star was doing it's best to make somethings out of nobodies. Now while not exactly the results I was expecting, there's still some interesting trends when reviewing the rookie club swaps by season for each rookie class from S24 onward in their first 5 seasons.

While I was there, I was also interested to take a closer look at just how many club captains per rookie intake have been produced in the modern era. Not all rookie classes are created equal, and possibly the most important metric to assess a rookie class on is the impact said rookies can make on the league once they arrive and have they stepped up to take custodianship of the league when their time comes.

Lastly Elton Johns Wig expressed his bitter disappointment at his rookie season of S23 not being included in this analysis mostly due to his domination of said rookie season apparently, and so for comparison's sake I've taken a deep dive into EKA Medal Winners between S23 & S35 inclusive.

eNmIIJV.png

xQFbicq.png

• Club swaps have increased in recent times, after a modern era low of just 1 player (Piggy Smalls who crossed from the Furies to the Wazzas in S32) from the S29 crop which as you can see is a massive outlier over the past 10 seasons. The average since has been 7 per rookie crop. Prior to S29, the average was 5 per rookie intake somewhat proving my suspicions. Make of that what you will.

• The S30 crop has been the most transient of the modern era, with no less than 9 club swaps in their first 5 seasons in the competition. 4 rookie crops (S27,S28, S32 & S33) have seen 6 club swaps from their ranks over that same initial 5 seasons in the competition, the most consistent trend across the 10 seasons compared. Notable club hoppers from these crops include ArdentEagle, Bonz, Cadsky, Chat Pile, the late Metalcrusher, DenieD, Greenery, Wonders ex-brothers in arms damicky & Brenton Davy and prized S35 Warriors recruit CursingFijian.

wOGLfYQ.png

xQFbicq.png

• Unsurprisingly, the widely acknowledged weak rookie field of S27 has only had the one skipper to date, AceAndy. However Ace enjoyed the ultimate success as he went on to captain his side to a premiership in S28, just his second season in the league and first at the helm.

yZ6378L.png

xQFbicq.png

• Now despite the long held view that not all EKA winners are created equal, the above suggests otherwise, as we have seen a consistent trend across every season between S23-S35 of EKA Medal winners.

Telling graph there, really says a lot about the state of the Eka post S31 (S33 being the exception)

wOGLfYQ.png

xQFbicq.png

• Unsurprisingly, the widely acknowledged weak rookie field of S27 has only had the one skipper to date, AceAndy. However Ace enjoyed the ultimate success as he went on to captain his side to a premiership in S28, just his second season in the league and first at the helm.
Mazel tov Piggy Smalls you're now Warriors captain.

Bloody well lift GWS Goose GremioPower you're letting our rookie cohort down.

dTyRkAh.png

flDiIlr.jpg

CLUBS
Now I did promise lots of bar graphs. So if it's graphs you're after, bar graphs especially... then this is the post for you.

Firstly, we have Rookie recruitment by club, looking at the raw numbers of rookies recruited by each club between S24 & S36. I have included the Old Boys for some reason, but more for reference purposes only.

I've then broken that down to the Average rookies per season by club to analyse each club's average number of rookie recruits per season over the same time period, however the Old Boys figure reflects their average since joining the competition in S34 for comparison.

Going a step further and observing the trends in retention of said rookies, we can see a breakdown of each club's retention of said rookies with the Retention by club graph observing the drop offs at Season 3 and Season 5 of all rookie crops recruited between S24 & S32. I have also included the same data into Retention by club by % to better represent the drop offs as a percentage of their raw recruitment for contrast.

Lastly I've compiled the data on Recruits lost to opposition clubs, to highlight how many of the rookies recruited to each club over the time period of s24-S36 have sought greener pastures elsewhere, with the markers of Season 3 & Season 5 for each rookie crop over that time period telling a bit of a tale in each club's ability to retain the rookies they've recruited to the league.

I've included more stray thoughts masquerading as insights for each of the litany of graphical representations of the stats I have so painstakingly compiled below.

9aHNa9D.png

xQFbicq.png

• Disregarding the Old Boys who perhaps unfairly have been included for comparison in the first graph, the Demons have recruited the least number of rookies in the league since S24, however have had one of the strongest and most stable lists over that same period. They average just 1.6 rookies per season.
  • The Bombers, Furies and Gumbies have been the heaviest recruiting clubs of the modern era, with the Bombers topping out at 48 rookies since S24. The Furies possibly the surprise there, however oppo skippers will remember a period where the Furies pounced on every new entrant via the new sign ups thread.

YVVdk3Y.png

xQFbicq.png

• Excluding the Old Boys, the league has recruited 2.5 rookies per club on average since S24.
  • For comparison, the Old Boys are averaging 3 rookies per season since entering the league in S34, a touch above league average. We know about the WAGS, however just how many of these are actually relatives, neighbours and work colleagues forced to surrender their email addresses for Bigfooty accounts they don't know exist is anyone's guess.
  • The league average of rookie recruits for each club in total between S24-S36 is 33.4 (excluding the Old Boys)
  • The Bombers lead the league in rookie recruitment quantity in a stat that will shock no one, averaging 3.7 rookies per season between S24-S36.

f88h1Q9.png

ECkaeiE.png

xQFbicq.png

• The Warriors surprisingly have seen the greatest drop off of rookies into their third season with just 35% making it to that marker, yet those that make it through generally establish themselves into their 5th season in the comp with a healthy 30% retention rate, the 4th best retention rate in the Sweet FA.
  • The league average retention rate into season 3 is a healthy 47.5%, yet by their 5th season that figure drops to just 29.1% on average.
  • The Bears have seen the starkest drop off in the league by season 5 for their rookie recruits over the same time period, with just 16.2% of Bears rookies making it through to their 5th season despite the Bears retaining an impressive 48.6% of their rookies into season 3, the 4th best ratio in the comp.
  • The Hawks/Phoenix have been the strongest club in the retention space over this same period, with 58.8% of their rookies making it to season 3, only slightly dipping to 41.2% of their rookie recruits making it through to their 5th season in the comp. The next best being the Dragons with 34.8% of their rookies retained through to season 5.

NoVn1yi.png

xQFbicq.png

• As far as losing rookies to other clubs is concerned, the Wonders top the charts with 10 rookies finding homes elsewhere between S24-S36, while for contrast the Old Boys are yet to lose a single rookie to another club since their inception in S34, quite possibly because none of them exist apart from Mrs Turbo whose voice I heard on a podcast once.
  • The next best club in this space being the Swampies with just a single rookie forging their path elsewhere over the modern era in their 5th season at the club.
  • The Bears have seen the most rookies seek opportunity elsewhere by season 3 over this period, with no less than 5 rookies finding new homes across the Sweet FA. Perhaps most notably the Gumbies' saviour Barrybran.
  • 4 clubs (Phoenix, Furies, Dees & Wonders) have lost rookies in their debut season. All four clubs are also the only clubs to have lost rookies by each of the Season 1, Season 3 & Season 5 markers.
  • 3 clubs (Warriors, Dragons & Royals) have only lost rookies to oppo clubs in their 3rd seasons.
  • The Old Boys are yet to lose a single rookie recruit to an opposition club (because they don't exist, probably)
  • The league average is 3.9 club swaps by rookies between their debut and 5th seasons in the competition.
So to summarise, the leading clubs in retaining recruits in the short to medium term are the Bombers, the Bears and the Gumbies, closely followed by the Swamprats (not withstanding the Bears falling away after 5 seasons)?

IMG_7133.png

#afterhours

dTyRkAh.png

flDiIlr.jpg

CLUBS
Now I did promise lots of bar graphs. So if it's graphs you're after, bar graphs especially... then this is the post for you.

Firstly, we have Rookie recruitment by club, looking at the raw numbers of rookies recruited by each club between S24 & S36. I have included the Old Boys for some reason, but more for reference purposes only.

I've then broken that down to the Average rookies per season by club to analyse each club's average number of rookie recruits per season over the same time period, however the Old Boys figure reflects their average since joining the competition in S34 for comparison.

Going a step further and observing the trends in retention of said rookies, we can see a breakdown of each club's retention of said rookies with the Retention by club graph observing the drop offs at Season 3 and Season 5 of all rookie crops recruited between S24 & S32. I have also included the same data into Retention by club by % to better represent the drop offs as a percentage of their raw recruitment for contrast.

Lastly I've compiled the data on Recruits lost to opposition clubs, to highlight how many of the rookies recruited to each club over the time period of s24-S36 have sought greener pastures elsewhere, with the markers of Season 3 & Season 5 for each rookie crop over that time period telling a bit of a tale in each club's ability to retain the rookies they've recruited to the league.

I've included more stray thoughts masquerading as insights for each of the litany of graphical representations of the stats I have so painstakingly compiled below.

9aHNa9D.png

xQFbicq.png

• Disregarding the Old Boys who perhaps unfairly have been included for comparison in the first graph, the Demons have recruited the least number of rookies in the league since S24, however have had one of the strongest and most stable lists over that same period. They average just 1.6 rookies per season.
  • The Bombers, Furies and Gumbies have been the heaviest recruiting clubs of the modern era, with the Bombers topping out at 48 rookies since S24. The Furies possibly the surprise there, however oppo skippers will remember a period where the Furies pounced on every new entrant via the new sign ups thread.

YVVdk3Y.png

xQFbicq.png

• Excluding the Old Boys, the league has recruited 2.5 rookies per club on average since S24.
  • For comparison, the Old Boys are averaging 3 rookies per season since entering the league in S34, a touch above league average. We know about the WAGS, however just how many of these are actually relatives, neighbours and work colleagues forced to surrender their email addresses for Bigfooty accounts they don't know exist is anyone's guess.
  • The league average of rookie recruits for each club in total between S24-S36 is 33.4 (excluding the Old Boys)
  • The Bombers lead the league in rookie recruitment quantity in a stat that will shock no one, averaging 3.7 rookies per season between S24-S36.

f88h1Q9.png

ECkaeiE.png

xQFbicq.png

• The Warriors surprisingly have seen the greatest drop off of rookies into their third season with just 35% making it to that marker, yet those that make it through generally establish themselves into their 5th season in the comp with a healthy 30% retention rate, the 4th best retention rate in the Sweet FA.
  • The league average retention rate into season 3 is a healthy 47.5%, yet by their 5th season that figure drops to just 29.1% on average.
  • The Bears have seen the starkest drop off in the league by season 5 for their rookie recruits over the same time period, with just 16.2% of Bears rookies making it through to their 5th season despite the Bears retaining an impressive 48.6% of their rookies into season 3, the 4th best ratio in the comp.
  • The Hawks/Phoenix have been the strongest club in the retention space over this same period, with 58.8% of their rookies making it to season 3, only slightly dipping to 41.2% of their rookie recruits making it through to their 5th season in the comp. The next best being the Dragons with 34.8% of their rookies retained through to season 5.

NoVn1yi.png

xQFbicq.png

• As far as losing rookies to other clubs is concerned, the Wonders top the charts with 10 rookies finding homes elsewhere between S24-S36, while for contrast the Old Boys are yet to lose a single rookie to another club since their inception in S34, quite possibly because none of them exist apart from Mrs Turbo whose voice I heard on a podcast once.
  • The next best club in this space being the Swampies with just a single rookie forging their path elsewhere over the modern era in their 5th season at the club.
  • The Bears have seen the most rookies seek opportunity elsewhere by season 3 over this period, with no less than 5 rookies finding new homes across the Sweet FA. Perhaps most notably the Gumbies' saviour Barrybran.
  • 4 clubs (Phoenix, Furies, Dees & Wonders) have lost rookies in their debut season. All four clubs are also the only clubs to have lost rookies by each of the Season 1, Season 3 & Season 5 markers.
  • 3 clubs (Warriors, Dragons & Royals) have only lost rookies to oppo clubs in their 3rd seasons.
  • The Old Boys are yet to lose a single rookie recruit to an opposition club (because they don't exist, probably)
  • The league average is 3.9 club swaps by rookies between their debut and 5th seasons in the competition.
'Friend of the show' Kilroy a big fan of these numbers. 👀

Bump.

Not enough attention given to this in-depth analysis …

But also when you look at retaining those rookies, the leading clubs in retaining recruits in the short to medium term are the Bombers, the Bears and the Gumbies, closely followed by the Swamprats, not withstanding the Bears falling away after 5 seasons …

Just thought it was worthy of acknowledgement.

You’re welcome. 🤛

dTyRkAh.png

a6awUev.png

PLAYERS

And lastly, a look at some statistical quirks from a player perspective.

As I said at the start, the initial premise I wished to test was that club hopping had increased, due in part to an era where rookie PMs became en vogue and the Rising Star was doing it's best to make somethings out of nobodies. Now while not exactly the results I was expecting, there's still some interesting trends when reviewing the rookie club swaps by season for each rookie class from S24 onward in their first 5 seasons.

While I was there, I was also interested to take a closer look at just how many club captains per rookie intake have been produced in the modern era. Not all rookie classes are created equal, and possibly the most important metric to assess a rookie class on is the impact said rookies can make on the league once they arrive and have they stepped up to take custodianship of the league when their time comes.

Lastly Elton Johns Wig expressed his bitter disappointment at his rookie season of S23 not being included in this analysis mostly due to his domination of said rookie season apparently, and so for comparison's sake I've taken a deep dive into EKA Medal Winners between S23 & S35 inclusive.

eNmIIJV.png

xQFbicq.png

• Club swaps have increased in recent times, after a modern era low of just 1 player (Piggy Smalls who crossed from the Furies to the Wazzas in S32) from the S29 crop which as you can see is a massive outlier over the past 10 seasons. The average since has been 7 per rookie crop. Prior to S29, the average was 5 per rookie intake somewhat proving my suspicions. Make of that what you will.

• The S30 crop has been the most transient of the modern era, with no less than 9 club swaps in their first 5 seasons in the competition. 4 rookie crops (S27,S28, S32 & S33) have seen 6 club swaps from their ranks over that same initial 5 seasons in the competition, the most consistent trend across the 10 seasons compared. Notable club hoppers from these crops include ArdentEagle, Bonz, Cadsky, Chat Pile, the late Metalcrusher, DenieD, Greenery, Wonders ex-brothers in arms damicky & Brenton Davy and prized S35 Warriors recruit CursingFijian.

wOGLfYQ.png

xQFbicq.png

yZ6378L.png

xQFbicq.png

• Now despite the long held view that not all EKA winners are created equal, the above suggests otherwise, as we have seen a consistent trend across every season between S23-S35 of EKA Medal winners.

Didn’t Season 30 rookie PMBangers captain the Royals at one stage?

IF the definition is purely 'had the C next to them on the team list', then yes absolutely

You are being a bit modest, Mr Bangers

Compared to Cadsky , you were a great Royals Captain

You are being a bit modest, Mr Bangers

Compared to Cadsky , you were a great Royals Captain
And if I compared a delicious chicken kiev served by itself to a chicken kiev served with rice I'd be a lunatic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Avoiding the captaincy has been one of my most proud moments .
Convincing Barrybran to go one more year 3 times, the whole getting DenieD to do all the work and think he was captain was pure genius.
Tricking Falconista was Frank Underwood like
Wait did they let you back in the country?

Wait did they let you back in the country?
He sensed there was a representative team he had a sneaky chance of getting in to.

Avoiding the captaincy has been one of my most proud moments .
Convincing Barrybran to go one more year 3 times, the whole getting DenieD to do all the work and think he was captain was pure genius.
Tricking Falconista was Frank Underwood like
It would truly be careless if I forget to nominate you for all-SFA in perpetuity, wouldn't it now Mr Underwood?

It would truly be careless if I forget to nominate you for all-SFA in perpetuity, wouldn't it now Mr Underwood?
Captains have been robbing me of that honour for years, in this scenario it is just happening 1 stage earlier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back