Traded Tim Taranto [Traded to Richmond for #12 and #19]

Remove this Banner Ad

Somsie and Gibcus are sure fire hits/successes for Richmond.

Too early to tell on the other kids they picked up in that draft though.

The trouble right now for Richmond is all their great champions still on the list bar Riewoldt (who is performing admirably this season) have really fallen off a cliff alarmingly at once, and they haven't really got enough quality 25, 100 plus game ish types to step up and help the kids in this transition (which is why the recruiting of Taranto and Hopper is understandable)

They definitely probably need to re-sign Broad for 2 more Years, but let the likes of McIntosh, who whilst has been a terrific foot soldier and club man for them, will not be part of their next flag challenge.
I wouldnt call anyone a sure fire hit just yet.
Need to play 50 games to say that with any confidence.
Sonsie might eventually be as good as say, Kane lambert. That would be a great result for the tigers. But that’s not likely till 2028 or so.
Gibcus - looks good, but a long road get to travel.
Players like Riewoldt, dusty, Cotchin are special players and you don’t replace them with a few picks in the 20s after one down year before getting back up and challenging again. Fans might want to believe that but the reality is different.

Some classic hiding of the context here.
“Five picks in the top 30”
How many of them were top 10 picks? Gibcus at 9 and that was it?
Where do you think you get players of elite level from?
You think you are getting the next cotchin and Martin with pick 25 and pick 28?
Come on man.
To build a bank of elite talent you (a) need a few top 10 picks and (b) need to nail most of those picks.
If you finish 14th or so and have given away pick 6 this year for Jacob Hopper - that is going to HURT. Big time.
You could swap that pick 6 for picks 25, 27, 30 and 35. That’s how much it is worth.
Josh Gibcus
Tom Brown
Tyler Sonsie
Judson Clarke
Sam banks

They are the 5 aren’t they?
If 3 of them play more than 100 games it will be a massive success. Four of those guys were taken after pick 18.
Every team in the league is getting Picks in this range every second year. There’s no massive competitive advantage there.
Jack Riedwoldt - Pick 13
Alex Rance - Pick 18
Shane Edwards - pick 26
Shai Bolton - Pick 29
Dan Rioli - Pick 15
Liam Baker - Rookie draft

You can find players anywhere in the draft, doesnt have to be top 10. I could name a dozen top 15 picks weve had that were fails. We will probably never find another Dusty even if we had 5 #1 picks in a row

Jack Riedwoldt - Pick 13
Alex Rance - Pick 18
Shane Edwards - pick 26
Shai Bolton - Pick 29
Dan Rioli - Pick 15
Liam Baker - Rookie draft

You can find players anywhere in the draft, doesnt have to be top 10. I could name a dozen top 15 picks weve had that were fails. We will probably never find another Dusty even if we had 5 #1 picks in a row
Yea I know that but the point is - how are you any different to anyone else then? Every clubs has selections in that range each year. You get good picks and you get busts just like everyone else.
Ultimately it comes down to coaching and player development. Richmond have been good in that area and maybe will be good again with these new guys.
All I’m saying is that history says to get the real A grade stars, the generational types that win you flags, you need a couple of successful picks from the very pointy end of the draft.
Melbourne - Petracca and Oliver in the top 5
Richmond - Cotchin and dusty in the top 5
Hawthorn - Hodge, Roughead, Franklin in the top 5
Even Geelong got Hawkins with a F/S when he would have been pick 1 or 2 in that draft. And Selwood at pick 7.

My original point still stands. Giving away those first round picks and the OPPORTUNITY to select guys like the ones I just mentioned, to instead bring in taranto and hopper who are just Aldi versions of those types of talents, is a mistake.

If you’d gotten Tom Green I’d have a different view. But Tom Green is better than those 2 guys and so GWS rightly weren’t giving you that leg up cheaply.

The point is the big mids you brought in aren’t good enough to get you guys to win another flag.
Taranto and hopper are Aldi versions of peak Martin and Cotchin.

Just like Jaeger and Mitchell were poor imitations of peak Sam Mitchell and Luke hodge.

If either pair was a good as the original, they wouldn’t have been available on the trade table so easily.

They might get you to 5th or 6th again. I think Hawthorn even squeezed into top 4 in 2018 from memory? But they were never real contenders in those years.
😂😂😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back