To Yarran or not Yarran?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Should we take risk on giving Chris Yarran a lifeline back into AFL?
Eddie is his best mate and would be able to keep him together. He isnt that old and has speed to burn. Would also come cheap.
For what its worth, I would. I would also still try to get Garlett back into it.
Minimal risks as rookies, big pay off if it works out.
Same thing that Poort did with Krac.

I would, but I doubt the club would. Very talented player when firing.

Garlett will go to a WA club if he comes back to the AFL

Yarren was a gun. I would gladly take him in as a rookie. He just needs to get his head in the right space.

Can you imagine Brodie Smith and Yarren running off the HBF? Would cause absolute havoc and solve one of the big problems we have had in the past - drive out of defense. Some games we really struggled, especially if we lost a Smith, or Seedsman back there.

Someone like Garlett can negatively affect the culture of a playing group so I would stay away.

By the time he sorts out his MH issues he will be probably 28. Maybe worth giving him a 1 year rookie contract and upgrade him if he still has it.

Eddie Betts went through his own struggles earlier in his career. What a ******* redemption story if Yarran comes good alongside Eddie.

If the attitude is right and the price is low then it's worth a try.

Eddie Betts went through his own struggles earlier in his career. What a ******* redemption story if Yarran comes good alongside Eddie.

If the attitude is right and the price is low then it's worth a try.
Struggles are 1 thing, mental health issues are another. If indeed they are the latter then they are extremely difficult if not impossible to cure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

Making a massive assumption that he dominates at wafl level and gets somewhat fit he will probably take another 2 preseasons to be fit enough to play in our midfield considering how long it has taken Menzel (who still isn't exactly fit enough but he's a forward and I'm also assuming Yarran has better genetics). By then he will be 29.

Every star would have to align just to break even.

If he has mental health issues its a big no unfortunately.

I'd rather look at taking some kid that works his guts out to try and make it.

Yarran is done

yes from me, on the rookie list with Eddie around he's worth a shot if you can get him for nothing.

people seem to think he'd come along and trash our pristine culture or something, but if its really that good there's no risk to the group IMO.

At the age of 26 and the amount of work he'd have to do to get back?

Yeah nah...

At the age of 26 and the amount of work he'd have to do to get back?

Yeah nah...
I think thats a bit over rated. Guys come back from 12 months off with a knee recon and get back into the swing pretty quickly. Menzel has 4 years off with knee after knee, and he came back good.

I think thats a bit over rated. Guys come back from 12 months off with a knee recon and get back into the swing pretty quickly. Menzel has 4 years off with knee after knee, and he came back good.

Well players like Menzel and other's recovering from various LTIs would still be doing a lot of work with the club, in terms of fitness strength and etc. They would still be miles and miles ahead of where Yarran would be at currently, already missed a whole year at the Tigers and whatever this year may have in store for him...

It's not like Yarran was an out and out superstar either. He had his flashes, but was largely inconsistent and still struggled at times despite his skills.

By the time he gets back into a system and gets fit, he'd probably be hitting 28 years old? That gives you what, 3 maybe 4 years of footy from him, and there is no guarantee we are going to see anywhere near his "best footy" despite him being in his "prime" years. That's not taking into account his situation and what that may constitute either, and whether or not he can completely overcome whatever it is he is dealing with.

Look as a rookie pick, it wouldn't be the worst option going around given his ability, and I certainly won't slam the club for it. I just think he's coming from way too far back at this stage in his career and it 'appears' to be a massive ask.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back