Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we now add 2018 semi finalist to the thread title. If he was still playing with he would have knocked up getting 40 and we would have scored as many total points. Longmire wd have slated him in the presser and hed get no coach votes.

Longmire has never slated any individual player in a presser. Ever.

What do you consider slated?

I am not sure it’s up to me to determine that, it’s up to the poster I quoted, but slated to me indicates negativity, and in this game specifically related to a post game day presser. He said slated Mitchell. That suggests Mitchell would be specifically mentioned in a negative way by Horse (“Mitchell was poor and let us down today”). I doubt that has happened with any player and probably further I am not convinced any professional coach would, let alone Horse (*could be wrong, I only watch Swans pressers).

I am not sure it’s up to me to determine that, it’s up to the poster I quoted, but slated to me indicates negativity, and in this game specifically related to a post game day presser. He said slated Mitchell. That suggests Mitchell would be specifically mentioned in a negative way by Horse (“Mitchell was poor and let us down today”). I doubt that has happened with any player and probably further I am not convinced any professional coach would, let alone Horse (*could be wrong, I only watch Swans pressers).

I can’t remember horse blasting a player. I’ve heard him say someone needs to work on things , which I don’t consider publically embarrasing or blasting a player

I can’t remember horse blasting a player. I’ve heard him say someone needs to work on things , which I don’t consider publically embarrasing or blasting a player

Whilst true, often these comments come from a journalist asking a direct question. So he is kind of put on the spot. Florent one was similar in that the journo asked a specific question for him to require an answer.

Whilst true, often these comments come from a journalist asking a direct question. So he is kind of put on the spot. Florent one was similar in that the journo asked a specific question for him to require an answer.

I’ve heard horse and Mitchell had words but never seen it reported or heard him blast unfairly in public that’s for sure

I’ve heard horse and Mitchell had words but never seen it reported or heard him blast unfairly in public that’s for sure

Well I expect any coach would have stern words with players from time to time. Not doing their job if they don’t. Some players need a swift kick up the arse to get the best out of them!

But those kind of things should be kept out of the media. Just the coach doing their job.

The reality is we have no idea what happened between Horse and Mitchell. Tom may have been an upright disrespectful prick for all we know. Given Tom is the only player that I can recall having any of this reach the media, and the players have seemed to be happy with Horse over the years tends to suggest to me that the issues were more with Tom than Horse. That’s just my reading of it, I might be wrong.

Well I expect any coach would have stern words with players from time to time. Not doing their job if they don’t. Some players need a swift kick up the arse to get the best out of them!

But those kind of things should be kept out of the media. Just the coach doing their job.

The reality is we have no idea what happened between Horse and Mitchell. Tom may have been an upright disrespectful prick for all we know. Given Tom is the only player that I can recall having any of this reach the media, and the players have seemed to be happy with Horse over the years tends to suggest to me that the issues were more with Tom than Horse. That’s just my reading of it, I might be wrong.

Hi TheMase

Belated thanks for the welcome. ;)

I don't know either. However, some folks seem to have short memories.!!!!
As good and capable young talent a he was, and excelled in his last yea,r the Swans pure inside mids were nearly the best in it. Hard to find a spot for a bloke like that.

Query for those who, are melting about losing/trading him?
What other position could he play? Could he even play next week.... where?

His father Barry* and Godfather (Diesel Williams*) have particularly Diesel have tought him to get the pill at all costs and distribute. Swans did not have a G Healy outside glam receiver to take advantage of it.
When the Dawks do eventually work that out.... then watch out.

Did I mention both of them were smart enough to maximise the coin that can be developed in short AFL career?

Cheeers

I mean, at this point it's blatantly obvious letting him go was a mistake. Happens to all clubs - heck the Hawks are just getting us back on Kennedy.

I think the club has made some curious personnel decisions in the last 5 years. Of course we can't fully judge without knowing all the ins and outs of the cap situation, but you can judge the fact that if you let a guy go who wins the Brownlow a couple years later it was probably a bad decision.

I'm looking forward to Titch winning not only this years Brownlow but future ones as well just to see the melts on my own teams board.

He's stepped up, we made a choice at the time and it was a mistake. No sense in lamenting something which cannot be changed.

Also too many variables, we don't know why he left, what coin he was on, what he was offered and what happened with that coin. The way I've always seen it is we chose not to offer Mitchell the coin he wanted so we could up Heeney & Mills contracts and then used the draft picks to trade and get what would become Hayward & Florent. If that is it I'm very happy to let Mitchell go despite how good he is, but again not enough is known about this trade

I'm looking forward to Titch winning not only this years Brownlow but future ones as well just to see the melts on my own teams board.

He's stepped up, we made a choice at the time and it was a mistake. No sense in lamenting something which cannot be changed.

Also too many variables, we don't know why he left, what coin he was on, what he was offered and what happened with that coin. The way I've always seen it is we chose not to offer Mitchell the coin he wanted so we could up Heeney & Mills contracts and then used the draft picks to trade and get what would become Hayward & Florent. If that is it I'm very happy to let Mitchell go despite how good he is, but again not enough is known about this trade

I think you have to lose some to gain some.

Even if we had mitchell right now I doubt he would make such a difference that we would be top 4 or in the GF or would have won the final on Saturday. Our flaws run deeper than that imo and I agree that if losing Mitchell enabled us to achieve what you have said, then it isn't a complete loss, despite it being so disappointing that he is gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like there will be an update in in the thread title as Tommy wins first Brownlow.

Of course Horse may still note the weaknesses in his defensive game.

Harley's comments were pathetic - see the article MO posted in the former player thread.

Looks like there will be an update in in the thread title as Tommy wins first Brownlow.

Harley's comments were pathetic - see the article MO posted in the former player thread.

What happens when Gawn wins the Brownlow?

Went to the thread expecting Harley comments that were pathetic and instead only found praise and respect as is expected from Harley. Perhaps I miss the point you were seeking to make?

What I do find incredibly pathetic though is Mitchells manager having an interview fee asking price for Tom re Brownlow. That is utter disrespect for the game and his position in it. Perhaps that chip on his shoulder is some indication of the source of Horses irritation with Tom if it existed?

Went to the thread expecting Harley comments that were pathetic and instead only found praise and respect as is expected from Harley. Perhaps I miss the point you were seeking to make?

What I do find incredibly pathetic though is Mitchells manager having an interview fee asking price for Tom re Brownlow. That is utter disrespect for the game and his position in it. Perhaps that chip on his shoulder is some indication of the source of Horses irritation with Tom if it existed?

That fee request was shocking

That fee request was shocking

Why?

Mitchell works for the Hawks, not 3AW.

3AW either pay the hawks to interview him, or they pay Tom to interview him.

I don't speak at conferences without some kind of monetary agreement.

Why?

Mitchell works for the Hawks, not 3AW.

3AW either pay the hawks to interview him, or they pay Tom to interview him.

I don't speak at conferences without some kind of monetary agreement.

Shocked me that a player would do it, never heard of it before

Remove this Banner Ad

Back