Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Rockliff isn't a restricted free agent going to only one club, who has more salary cap room than the club trying to keep him.

That being said, Rockliff is probably worth a first and a first 22 player.

LOL....Good luck finding a mug willing to part with that for a turn-over merchant....

If Brisbane are happy to trade him (which they are) being contract is irrelevant.

Still extremely relevant, Rockliff is happy to stay so its not forcing our hand to accept unders. It's far from the 11th hour in the negiations, and were staring at getting nothing for him.

LOL....Good luck finding a mug willing to part with that for a turn-over merchant....
Curious where this concept of Rockliff as turnover prone came from. I can understand people not watching Brisbane games to realise he isn't, but I'm yet to see any evidence from anyone that he is.

Curious where this concept of Rockliff as turnover prone came from. I can understand people not watching Brisbane games to realise he isn't, but I'm yet to see any evidence from anyone that he is.

C'mon, can't they just use some throw away lines without anything substantial to back it up? Isn't that how bigfooty works?
are you going to Roylion them dlanod :p:p

Good point.

My question is irrelevant to your comment, but I would appreciate your input (and any others who know what they're talking about).

My understanding is Rockliff is an UFA next year.
If Brisbane wanted to move him on now, and if he was happy to move, and a club was interested, but no fair trade could be arranged, would it be possible to nullify the last year of his contract?

If so, that would effectively make him a Free Agent now.
He could sign with the club of his choice, and the Lions would be given Band 1 compo, which for them would mean pick 3.

This might be more than they could gain in a trade situation. It also lets them bring in another quality kid a year earlier.

Could this work? Would the AFL allow this? Would Brisbane be open to it?

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable input.

Good point.

My question is irrelevant to your comment, but I would appreciate your input (and any others who know what they're talking about).

If Brisbane wanted to move him on now, and if he was happy to move, and a club was interested, but no fair trade could be arranged, would it be possible to nullify the last year of his contract?

He could sign with the club of his choice, and the Lions would be given Band 1 compo, which for them would mean pick 3.

This might be more than they could gain in a trade situation. It also lets them bring in another quality kid a year earlier.

He'll be a RFA next year, though that doesn't affect the logic much.

If the club and player mutually terminate the contract, the player becomes a delisted free agent so there would be no compensation (there were a few references to this in the Cam McCarthy saga at different points).

I reckon you would because let's be honest the pack of twisties would be stolen anyway so would not really cost you anything. Does anyone know if there is settings on BF to block Collingwood supporters they never contribute anything useful to society or BF........and it shits me technically I paying for their internet bills so they can post this rubbish.
Yes..very well said...

Turnover merchant is not what I would use to describe Rockliff- my main criticism is hurt factor. Gets the ball lots, but for how much of it he gets imo he needs to do more with it. But, I can imagine that would be significantly better with different cattle- I think he's forced to cover too many bases inside & out at the moment.

I'd love him at West Coast to play with his best mate in Redden. We need a bull inside like him. But he'd cost too much for what we have, or what we could realistically offer.

Rocky unfortunately isnt used to his greatest advantage due to playing for a bog ordinary team. He should play 30 to 40% as a forward is an elite one on one player and is smart. He gets very cheap possessions at the Lions but is very clever by hand and neat by foot. He cant kick over 30 metres with any power and speed but uses the ball well mostly. Great contested player but he won't leave Brisbane because no club will be stupid enough to pay him as much as the Lions are

if i were Brisbane i'd want a top 10 + late first round - Lets not forget this is a guy had a better season numbers wise in 2014 than Patrick Dangerfied had this year (albeit less influential and in only 18 games, but also in a far worse side)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would need a dozen shamwows and a hitatchi high pressure cleaner to clean up the mess if we traded tom rockliff to the suns for a top 10 pick. 4, 6 or 8.. he is exactly what we need.

Turnover merchant is not what I would use to describe Rockliff- my main criticism is hurt factor. Gets the ball lots, but for how much of it he gets imo he needs to do more with it. But, I can imagine that would be significantly better with different cattle- I think he's forced to cover too many bases inside & out at the moment.
I can see that argument - I'd disagree based off long term comparisons to similar players (the rubbish on metres gained started after a specific game where he didn't play well) but I can see how you could make it. Same with always taking the safe option - he plays within his limitations but is very good at neat little forward 50 entries and putting the ball to a player's advantage.

The turnover rubbish, however, is just that.

Good point.

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable input.

Not sure thats how it really works. If we nulled his final year contract, hed have to nominate for the draft, meaning we dont get any compo.

I'd love him at West Coast to play with his best mate in Redden. We need a bull inside like him. But he'd cost too much for what we have, or what we could realistically offer.

His disposal is let down by our clear lack of outside players this season. If we had Beams and an inform Hanley+1-2 other good outside players on the field this year his efforts on the inside would make 100% more difference to us.

I can see that argument - I'd disagree based off long term comparisons to similar players (the rubbish on metres gained started after a specific game where he didn't play well) but I can see how you could make it. Same with always taking the safe option - he plays within his limitations but is very good at neat little forward 50 entries and putting the ball to a player's advantage.

The turnover rubbish, however, is just that.
In his 2014 AA year he was ranked no1 in the AFL for DE.

People shouldn't let facts get in the way of a good story

I can't find out why he has been put up for trade.

He hasn't.

Last Friday morning Greg Swann (Lions CEO) said:

"It’s madness the trade period, it seems to go longer and longer and longer now.”

"We’re not even close to starting it and there’s all of this speculation.

"We certainly haven’t put any players up for trade.

"We’re not in a position to do it until we have our Footy Manager and Coach appointed, so that will obviously happen as we know."

Reddo's form slump is bemusing. Has he had a decent crack in the midfield at the Eagles? Perhaps his injuries at the Lions were worse than the public had thought seeing as we basically pushed him out the door.

- Very injury interrupted pre season
- Rushed into the 1sts without a good spell in the ressies
- Often played out of position at HFF where he seemed completely lost
- We look way too slow with Ploddus, Hutchings & Redden in the same team, so Jack made way given all of the above
- I'm expecting a much improved effort but the 2 factors above concerns me - feel he won't really be positioned to deliver until Ploddus retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back