Top 3 Improvers and Decliners

Remove this Banner Ad

Still doesn't make sense to me. Why not just list them for Footscray then?

I am OK with retaining Jong and am prepared to give some benefit of doubt to Redpath (though not convinced yet). However Greenwood I don't get at all.

The great and proven value of the rookie system is that you can bring low cost players into the system without sacrificing a high pick. If you try enough of them you will occasionally unearth a star (eg Morris, Boyd, Dahlhaus, etc). To make this work you have to be prepared to turn rookies over fairly promptly if they aren't showing much. Why aren't we doing that?

I just hope J Mac knows something we don't wrt Greenwood and Redpath.
Yeah I get your reasoning DW. So I think it's a combination of factors. The possibility that they see enough in training etc that we don't to make them think they're worth persevering with and the possibility that no-one else took their fancy. I also think that a big list turnover, rookie or main list, may not be the preferred option in Footscrays first year for reasons of stability and continuity while Footscray is established.
For all the questions, and possibly like you, the recruiting team and coaches of the last couple of years have enough credit in the bank for me to run with it.
Edit: the new strength and conditioning guy also seems particularly impressive and the results of his input from the beginning of this past season may be very influential across the two teams this coming season

Redpath is an interesting one - at times he looks like he doesn't know where he should be - at others he seems to scare the crap out of people and control the game (though only for short bursts).

He has an incredible upside - physically he is huge and fast and a huge kick. Move to the backline appeared to be working - increased his consistency and he started to make an impact.

So ready for a walk up to the ones? I am positive but no. Not yet - to me he is a project like Prudden, Jong and Campbell - each has valuable traits if the rest of their game can be developed. Greenwood - I agree - don't get it?

Improvers:
Macrae: Can see special things for this kid, was underrated by our supporters and others in the 2013 season. Will be our best player in a few years imo.
Talia: Thought he was awesome this year and can only see him improving.
Wallis: Second half of this season was awesome, quickly becoming a Ling/Kirk type run with player which is absolutely gold.

Could mention so many in the above list given the age of a lot of our players.

Decline:
In my opinion the older players will all have useful seasons, but it would be nice at the end of next year to say we don't rely on them as much & that we have players ready to step up and fill their void when it happens. So while I have no doubt each of the older players will fulfil their role, I hope that their roles at seasons end isn't as important to us winning games as it is at the moment. (Hope that makes some sort of sense :p )

Redpath is an interesting one - at times he looks like he doesn't know where he should be - at others he seems to scare the crap out of people and control the game (though only for short bursts).

He has an incredible upside - physically he is huge and fast and a huge kick. Move to the backline appeared to be working - increased his consistency and he started to make an impact.

So ready for a walk up to the ones? I am positive but no. Not yet - to me he is a project like Prudden, Jong and Campbell - each has valuable traits if the rest of their game can be developed. Greenwood - I agree - don't get it?
Please tell us and name any game that Redpath has shown any ability OR PROMISE !!!
I HAVE WATCHED ALL THE WILLI GAMES OVER THE LAST 2 YEARS and he can not play.

Improvers
Dickson- will become a more attacking forward since he is getting healthy and since Crameri and Stringer will be up forward he can attack more and become a avg 3 goal a game type of player and his defensive forward work is pretty decent.

Hrovat- From the reports he is killing the pre-season, looking for him to have a big role next year leading the team in the middle as part of our youth attack and is pretty decent marking forward when resting down there as part of rotation.

Prudden- Now that this kid is making pre-season his beeech look for him to start destroying the vfl with his work in the middle since he's a great inside and outside player and will push for selection by the middle of the season if he stays healthy.

Decliners-
I can't decide any decliners because i feel that every player will improve in some way or another

That's my opinion. I saw him getting beaten quite often when he needn't have been. He is not the player he was you know. Played all 22 games and finished very low in the rankings, few disposals despite the ball being in our back half most of the time. He did some good things for sure but for me, since he lost his leg, he has changed status from very good player to ordinary player. I don't put very much faith in the team voting.

Can't ever recall him being a high possesion winner so I don't know what that has to do with things...For what it's worth I think he had a great first year back, and deserved his top 5 B&F finish....

Improvers

Liberatore - will take it to another level and finish top 5 in the brownlow
Dahlhaus - will benefit from Hunter, Dickson, and Crameri in the forward line as well as improving his tank
Wood - just needs a good run with no injuries to get some confidence in his footy. Best athlete in our team.

Decliners

Picken - Will Wallis and JJ taking the tagging and back pocket roles
Boyd - will go from getting 35p per game to 25.
Murphy - only because he is getting on and couldn't possibly get any better!

I see Boyd improving on last year. Without the captaincy and more midfielders developing around him, I see him wanting to really put everything into his career.

Improvers (hopefully):
1. Jack Macrae- Looks a lot bigger, and with another pre-season (with the help of Joel Corey) under his belt he could just explode.
2. Michael Talia- He and Roughead will be our key defenders for the next few years, he showed quite a bit last year and with the help of Matthew Scarlett as development coach, look out.
3. Jake Stringer- My favourite player who looks like he could grab the AFL by storm. Was able to kick bags of goals against Geelong (3) and Gold Coast (3) with 12 goals from ten games. A roughie for the Rising Star.
Tough to Miss Out: Jason Johannisen- He just has something about him, he has terrific leg speed and not a bad kick.
Tom Campbell- Along with Macrae, another preseason and lessons with Cameron Mooney he could be that key forward (that we crave) and the second ruck to help Big Will.

Decliners:
1. Ayce Cordy- The main reason for this is Tom Campbell, he took the opportunity when Cordy didn't and looks like Campbell got the approval. Don't think Ayce will get many games.
2. Brett Goodes- After a dream debut season there looks to be the young brigade who will overtake him e.g. (Johannisen, Wood, Young). Although I do hope he stays in the team.
3. Daniel Giansiracusa- I hate to say it but he has got that bit older and will be the substitute for most of the games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back