List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

I think an end of second round pick means he’s paid in the 36% to 50% bracket of the competition.

That’s a pretty wide bracket, and could effectively mean he’s paid around afl average, or just either side.

Consider about 16% of all afl (senior listed) players are on first or second draftee wages.

Then there are going to be a large percentage of AFL players who are 3rd & 4th players still on low wages, and older depth and role players who are also on lower wages.

Mitch Robinson, before he was delisted, talked about this on his podcast a couple of years ago.

He was a best 22 role player, and in his own words, was on significantly less than the AFL average.

Last edited:
81nfb4.jpg

I also think endurance and fitness is easily something that can be worked on, in a AFL environment.
Just look at Oliver when drafted overweight and could barely run

Rioli and Maric also lost 10-15kg each a year prior to being drafted. Rioli continued (continues?) to carry excess weight compared to the average footballer, but at times in 2018/2019 he was near enough to top 5 in some games for distance covered.

Reid doesn’t need to be a peak Gaff, Scully, etc runner - he needs to improve but that will happen.

Hewett had similar knocks on him, probably even more concerns if we are honest. Anyone keen to get rid of him now?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can definitely see Reid getting caught a lot early on, but he'll eventually learn his limits.
I remember a #9 (3 FA) and #13 (4 FA) getting done a few times HTB taking the game on in an away QF loss by 20pts at the MCG to the eventual GF runners up in 2011. Those two became pretty OK at it afterwards.

I think an end of second round pick means he’s paid in the 36% to 50% bracket of the competition.

That’s a pretty wide bracket, and could effectively mean he’s paid around afl average, or just either side.

Consider about 16% of all afl (senior listed) players are on first or second draftee wages.

Then there are going to be a large percentage of AFL players who are 3rd & 4th players still on low wages, and older depth and role players who are also on lower wages.

Mitch Robinson, before he was delisted, talked about this on his podcast a couple of years ago.

He was a best 22 role player, and in his own words, was on significantly less than the AFL average.
You make a good point about salary, but it's examples like Flynn that demonstrate FA compo needs to be scrapped. No chance GWS get close to an end of second for offloading their 3rd string ruck and as a result, all other teams are moved back a spot.

The draft is pretty bogus now. You only really get two decent picks if you finish bottom 4 (1st and 2nd round), as after all the academies etc the third round is starting at about the mid 40th best kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make a good point about salary, but it's examples like Flynn that demonstrate FA compo needs to be scrapped. No chance GWS get close to an end of second for offloading their 3rd string ruck and as a result, all other teams are moved back a spot.

The draft is pretty bogus now. You only really get two decent picks if you finish bottom 4 (1st and 2nd round), as after all the academies etc the third round is starting at about the mid 40th best kid.
They had this discussion on trade radio yesterday, and they made some good points.

I come from following the NBA for 30+ years.

There are no compensation picks in the NBA.

But we can’t trade players without their consent in the AFL.

So the AFL give out compo picks, because a team like GWS might have traded Flynn a year or two ago for a pick, but can’t unless the player agrees to it.

The AFL has flagged that there will be changes to the compensation bands and rules in the near future, but were not able to introduce them this year because clubs had planned their trade period strategies around the current rules.

no. and the lack of announcement today could mean North are considering matching the offer because it hasnt triggered Band 1..
Paperwork was probably lodged today but knowing the AFL they will no doubt string this one out to the last day of FA as he’s the most high profile free agent this year.

It has always been thus, even before the academies were introduced.

Before GC and GWS were introduced, it’s not like Cairns, Western Sydney or Canberra were hot beds of AFL talent.

There was the occasional talent coming out of Brisbane, the Gold Coast and Sydney, but not at the rates we’re seeing now.

It is very, very hard to build a team purely from the draft, with just your natural picks.

My view is that it is probably impossible in today’s AFL, as you won’t have a 100% strike rate, and you’ll be losing more players to retirement, injury etc each year, than you can adequately replace through the draft.

Our ex head of football, David Noble spoke about our rebuild plan, that ideally we would bring in 5 players a year inside the top 25 picks, for 3 years, to build the foundation of our team.

This necessitated trading players for picks (Hanley and Beams), or letting players walk for their free agency compensation (Rockliff), and trading back in the draft to generate extra first round picks. And asking the AFL for a priority pick (we received 1 end of first round pick).

Now we weren’t able to generate 5 picks inside 5, but we went close. And we didn’t stick to the 3 drafts plan, when Neale asked for a trade to us, in what should have been our 3rd draft.

I just about gave up on Williams this time last year but in a way I question how Simmo doesn’t view/trust him as a number one ruck after the season he just had. Surely there’s something to work with and improve on. I don’t personally see him as a forward purely cause he is a horrible set shot
Wonder if there's been some indication that Williams might want to head back home at the end of his contract and this is insurance

Logan Morris - I'll talk about him again. Sure, he's no giant and is around Jack Darling height (191-192 currently). already 90kgs.
Look at these hands, good body work and seems to have a good football brain.
Nice kick too...I think he'll be a B22 minimum and ceiling well. (He does a lot of Curnow type things)

Please have a look peeps

Should check out Riley Weatherill.
The quiet achiever of the Talent League, and taller than Morris too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back